U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM

7,071 posts, read 5,470,417 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm considering moving to within commuting distance of New York City in about a year, and as I've been researching the various costs, I keep running across things that aren't so obvious to someone coming from Georgia. For instance, there's a city income tax for people living within the NYC city limits, and city employees that live outside the limits. For my expected income bracket, this is almost as much per month as some transit passes for the same period. There's also the MTA tax, I'm unclear on how that works, is it in addition to state income tax, or what? What other hidden costs are in here? I think I can get a handle on things like car taxes, sales tax, utilities costs, insurance costs, etc. but it's all these unusual taxes that are catching me off guard so far. (For other than city employees) is there any kind of strange taxation I should be aware of if I lived in Connecticut or New Jersey, but worked in NYC?

I'd also like to ask for any recommendations on a place to live within 40-60 minutes by train from Manhattan. Monthly rent, I'd like to keep to $1600 and less if I can. I'm not opposed to living within one of the boroughs or out of state. At this point, I'd just like some direction to jump off from. Schools and the local social scene aren't an issue right now for me, I've been driving up to 5 days a week, 45 miles one-way to get to and from school, I think I can tolerate an hour on a train just to spend time with people . I'll be a mid-twenties, white, recent graduate in a professional field. I know my budget may be tight, but I'd rather be able to plan out everything now than at the last minute, hence the question about the hidden costs above.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!
Matt
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,651,102 times
Hoboken or Brooklyn would sound like good options. Hoboken is my preference, but depends on personality. Brooklyn I equate to a bit more artsy / hipster, Hoboken more frat guy ish. That's only if social scene is important to you. In terms of hidden costs, living in Hoboken avoids city income tax, but you'd need a path pass in addition to possible subway pass (depending on whether you need to take subway to work after you take path). Path is a very nice ride, much more civil / clean than subway and only about 15 minutes. Monthly pass for Path Train may be about $100, maybe less. Other options could also be bus / ferry

Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM

1,545 posts, read 3,059,833 times
Step one: Do not, I repeat DO NOT bring a car to NYC. Major liability cash drain.
Other than that look deep BKLYN 'Bay Ridge, Bath Beach. QNS Rego park, Forest Hills for a good deal on a decent apartment. Make sure where you live is on a subway line so you can save on expenses.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM

2,562 posts, read 5,148,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I'd also like to ask for any recommendations on a place to live within 40-60 minutes by train from Manhattan. Monthly rent, I'd like to keep to $1600 and less if I can.
Depends on where exactly you're looking to go in Manhattan. Inwood and Battery Park are both in "Manhattan", but are nowhere near each other.

For $1,600, you should be able to get your own one bedroom up by me in Hamilton Heights, a neighborhood in West Harlem, which is in Manhattan. I pay considerably less than that for mine. There's not much, if anything, in Manhattan that's more than 45 minutes from here. Queens and Brooklyn can be a pain to get to, though.

$1,600 should also be enough for a studio in much of the upper east or upper west sides.

Good luck. I also made the move up from Georgia several years ago and have greatly enjoyed myself here.

Definitely think hard about whether or not you really need a car. I have one, because I work in Jersey, but if you're going to be living and working in the city, you should have no problem getting by without one. That's several hundred bucks a month right there back in your pocket.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM

5,104 posts, read 7,778,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Step one: Do not, I repeat DO NOT bring a car to NYC. Major liability cash drain.
Other than that look deep BKLYN 'Bay Ridge, Bath Beach. QNS Rego park, Forest Hills for a good deal on a decent apartment. Make sure where you live is on a subway line so you can save on expenses.
I agree. If you're worried about unexpected expenses just start checking out quotes for car insurance in New York. You won't be happy. And if you decide on someplace within the five boroughs with a car you'll have to think about paying for a garage space. Another reason you won't be happy.

As for a place to live, I also though about uptown Manhattan--anywhere from Hamilton Heights to Washington Heights to Inwood. That could be a culture shock, depending on what you're used to, or it could be an adventure. Or both!

Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,463,538 times
Bring a car and ignore the above.

At the end of the day you'll just need one for:

shopping
food
daycare
road trip
school
field trips
family
meetings
freedom

Old 03-13-2013, 04:38 PM

2,562 posts, read 5,148,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post

shopping
food
daycare
road trip
school
field trips
family
meetings
freedom
Well since he clearly stated that he's coming from out of state and has graduated, you can scratch off school, field trips, and family. I'm sure he would have mentioned if he had a kid, so scratch off daycare as well.

I have a car in the city and the only thing I use it for, other than commuting to work, is to buy groceries and the occasional day or weekend trip out of the city. It's great to have for groceries, but the large expense of the car will pay for A LOT of cab rides to and from the store. And occasional trips out of the city are easily served by a rental car. I got one for $27 a day recently while my car was in the shop.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM

1,545 posts, read 3,059,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post

shopping
food
daycare
road trip
school
field trips
family
meetings
freedom
This is a thread about living in NYC not metro Los Angeles...LOL!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 PM

145 posts, read 290,638 times
Who needs a car for grocery shopping?? If you actually live that far away from a good grocery store, either cab it or get a Fresh Direct and/or ZipCar account (I have both).

Cars are more hassle than they're worth unless you live out in the nether regions of Queens/Brooklyn/Bronx. Insurance and gas are expensive, you get tickets even when you're parked in legal spots, and parking in Manhattan is an absolute nightmare/massive expense.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,400,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
This is a thread about living in NYC not metro Los Angeles...LOL!
Isn't it funny, how we all step outside, and ALL we see are cars!

Cars parked in every available square inch. Cars covering the roadways.

Cars, cars, cars, to and fro, up and down, east and west!

Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and Staten Island.

Cars, cars, cars, all we see are cars!

Somebody is driving all those cars. Never listen to a Transplant about cars and NYC, what could they possibly know? In your case OP, there are lots of hidden costs to keeping a car in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City