U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,634 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a ranch-style home and perform a complete renovation, including the addition of a second floor.

I've reached out to a few architects to get quotes and I've been given widely varying numbers.

Most of the architects are within the $6,000 to $8,000 for their personal effort of drawing up plans for the construction but I've been given estimates ranging from $4,000 up to $15,000 for work permits.

I cannot find any information about this on the NYC.gov site and quite honestly, I dont even really know what I am looking for.

I cannot describe the work beyond this high level description:
- Knocking down 2 or 3 of the walls (I've been told different things from different architects)
- Addition of second floor
- Moving kitchen, bathrooms, etc around
- Moving doors and windows around
- New heating, AC, hot water systems, etc

Does anyone have an idea of which side of that range ($1k to $15k) I'd be likely to be looking at?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 PM

30,335 posts, read 43,190,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmig View Post
I am looking to purchase a ranch-style home and perform a complete renovation, including the addition of a second floor.

I've reached out to a few architects to get quotes and I've been given widely varying numbers.

Most of the architects are within the $6,000 to $8,000 for their personal effort of drawing up plans for the construction but I've been given estimates ranging from $4,000 up to $15,000 for work permits.

I cannot find any information about this on the NYC.gov site and quite honestly, I dont even really know what I am looking for.

- Knocking down 2 or 3 of the walls (I've been told different things from different architects)

Does anyone have an idea of which side of that range ($1k to $15k) I'd be likely to be looking at?
You won't find information about it on the city website because it would be a form of soliciting for the city to suggest prices on renovation projects. $4,000 is on the cheap side however; I would say expect to pay about $10,000 just to get permits.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 PM

23,715 posts, read 28,891,100 times
Quote:
for what you are describing, you will need every permit as if you were building a new home. So you might was well bulldoze the existing home and start new. The second floor alone will require the foundation to be reinforced and thats going to be at least $20k by itself. If you're going to basically strip down the house down to a shell, everything will need to be redone to current code.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,634 times
@SeventhFloor Thanks for the advice. I was actually referring to not being able to find on the website any information about application fees and\or how to calculate total fees. I did find other places in NY (not NYC) who listed permit fees on their town\city website but nothing for NYC or boroughs.

@Pruzhany Are you saying that permits to reinforce the foundation are going to cost $20k or that the actual work will cost that? We're allocating $175k to $200k for the complete renovation but we're still in the budgeting phase and the permits are what is confusing me right now.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 AM

23,715 posts, read 28,891,100 times
The cost of the foundation work is going to be at least $20k.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 AM

30,335 posts, read 43,190,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmig View Post
@SeventhFloor Thanks for the advice. I was actually referring to not being able to find on the website any information about application fees and\or how to calculate total fees. I did find other places in NY (not NYC) who listed permit fees on their town\city website but nothing for NYC or boroughs.

@Pruzhany Are you saying that permits to reinforce the foundation are going to cost $20k or that the actual work will cost that? We're allocating $175k to $200k for the complete renovation but we're still in the budgeting phase and the permits are what is confusing me right now.
What you are looking for, the architect has to calculate the estimated cost of the job. Total construction costs comes from the contractors bids.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City