Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Wassup New York. Help me figure this out please. When using your postal address in Brooklyn you put Brooklyn, in Manhattan you put New York, in The Bronx you put The Bronx, in Staten Island you put Staten Island, yet in Queens you have to put Rego Park, NY or Forest Hills, NY or LIC, NY or Carona, NY etc...why is Queens the only boro you have to do this in?? Thanks
This is why I have always hated Queens..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,355 times
Actually it does matter. Your mail might arrive as long as the address contains the zip code.
BUT if you live in Queens and you are filling in a form on the internet, you must not enter "New York" in the box asking for "city". I find this amazing and irrational, and am only now beginning to realise how much time I have wasted, and how much I might have missed out on, by doing so. When attempting to sign up for Paypal in order to buy a ticket for an event, I kept getting this message:
"Please enter a valid combination of City, State, and ZIP code" Eventually I gave up the attempt and missed the event. I'm now thinking this kind of thing has happened frequently, as I do have problems with on-line forms and try to avoid them. I later found out that I should have written "Jackson Heights" in the box called "City" and when I complained I received some very aggressive dismissals about neighbourhood pride, tradition, "everybody knows this from schooldays", "Queens is a series of historical villages". Well, I'm from London, which really is composed of historical villages, but nobody objects to putting "London". Jackson Heights is a planned neighbourhood only about a hundred years old. Why should it attempt to deny being part of New York City? Nobody stops you putting Queens, or the neighbourhood, as part of the address, but the "city" is surely New York. It's inconsistent, and irrational, and it's taken me three years to find out about it.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:28 PM

106,581 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Most of us grew up on the story that it's called 'The Bronx' because it referenced the Dutch family that owned the property - 'The Bronks'. So the answer as to who owned the land was - The Bronk(x)s.
And that stuck.
i always thought the DC IN WASHINGTON DC stood for DA CAPITAL.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This has been discussed in the past. Queens was never one city. It was a county with several different towns and villages and that got incorporated in the postal zip code (address) system.
Rather like Long Island one assumes. I mean you write "Garden City, LI" not "Long Island, NY".

However as pointed out modern postal sorting machinery looks to the Zip Code for instructions. In fact even if you have say "Astoria, Queens", but the incorrect ZC chances are great the item will returned with a notice of "incorrect address" or some such. That or the thing will be shunted aside for manual sorting, something the USPS has been cutting back on for years IIRC.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:37 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterjoatmedotcom View Post
I'm from London, which really is composed of historical villages, but nobody objects to putting "London". Jackson Heights is a planned neighbourhood only about a hundred years old. Why should it attempt to deny being part of New York City? Nobody stops you putting Queens, or the neighbourhood, as part of the address, but the "city" is surely New York. It's inconsistent, and irrational, and it's taken me three years to find out about it.
Much like NYC, London has expanded to exceed its postal codes:
http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Life/Ac...nPostcodes.gif
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...l_District.png
http://www.carbootsrus.com/images/Lo...ghs300High.gif
http://www.earecruitment.com/userfil.../Postcodes.jpg
I have family in TW postcode, friends in EN, which is not ENgland!
People here have trouble distinguishing England, Britain, Great Britain & the United Kingdom!

Last edited by bigjake54; 01-19-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is why I have always hated Queens..
Homophobe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i always thought the DC IN WASHINGTON DC stood for DA CAPITAL.
I always thought it was Da Bronx!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 PM

929 posts, read 1,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
And it's not limited to Queens.

Riverdale is part of the Bronx but often times for mail you'll see "Riverdale, NY 10471" as opposed to "Bronx, NY 10471".
Riverdale is special. They're off to the side, and mostly rich-and-upper-class people who don't want to be associated with those other Bronx-dwellers.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Waaaay back in the day, for Queens addresses, people would put "Long Island, NY" because Queens is part of Long Island. (When I was with my ex-BF back in the 1980s, we were going through old paperwork from his house that he bought back in the 1960s and all the addresses said "Long Island, NY". He lived in Ozone Park.)

Old 01-20-2014, 05:17 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
I like THE RIVERDALE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City