Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 AM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Are you white or black?

In some neighborhoods, "low key" translates to victim!

Anyway, I presume you are white, most blacks w/n use the term "low key". So, I'll go from there.

Tivoli Towers is an urban renewal project, built largely government subsidy, back in the late 80s, if memory serves. Definitely pre 'crack days', but not by much.

I had a close friend who lived there, for years, BUT I never visited him. The sort of people who inhabited the buildings were lower middle to working class, who benefitted from reasonable, though, not cheap (for the area) rents. It was a place for thouse in the area looking to escape declining buildings, and who could afford the rents. Decent place for sometime.

Though, there was always an *element*. That element grew over time, as the middle class moved out.
Though, the element was a more prosperous than what is typical of subsidized housing.

It is a better place than say Ebbets Field, and if Ebbets Field is where you are headed, Tivoli w/b a better option.

That is about all I can personally say about the building itself. Most if not exclusively, the residents are Black. The building was likely some sort of Mitchell Lama project, and consequently, today, the LL can charge 'market rate' or near market rate rent. So, maybe, with area changes, the LL is trying to transist the building.

I wonder, how is it that you come to be considering the building?

What you will enccounter is a lound environment, with largely inconsiderate neighbors. There will be a large amount of traffic in and out the building, likely at all hours (which isn't necessarily a good thing). The people coming to and fro will be residents AS WELL AS, family, friends, and acquatainces. I personally don't think this is attractive, as while, there may be a botto/ level to the residents, the same will not be said of their family and friends who likely frequent the building.

Also, there is VERY likely to be a LOT of young people (highschoolers and slightly older), think on th prospect of getting on the elevator of a large tower building with a crowd of (urban) juvenile teenagers and youg adults!?

I don't know, but Imd inquire as to the quality and service of the elevators, how many are there? How often do they go down? When they do, what is he respons, is it satisfatory. Imagine the circumstance which is excerbated when an elevator goes down.

What if the circumstance demands that you walk the stairs, LATE NIGHTS?

Enough said now the arwa and building location. The area is a semi industrial spot covering a few blocks. The buildings are on lower Franklin, generally in the middle of the industrial area.

Such has pluses and minuses, but to your concern, it means that late nights, the area has LOW foot traffice, as basically Tivoli is the only residential building of significance in a couple of blocks. So, it is a bit of a walk down Franklin and its dark and lonely, for the most part. The fact that you are questioning, I think attest to the fact!

Now, ther is no question that folk like yourself are in the general area, from Prospect Heights to PLG, to Crown Heights. Does that equate to safety on the subway, late nights? Safety walking down Franklin? Safety on the elevator of your building?

I'd say there are better options with better odds.

Moreover, I personally w/n live there, nor would I consent to my GF (black or white).

Is there anything, in particular, you find attractive, which might offset the risk?

JMO.

What is the rent?
They are Mitchell-Lama rentals. And yes, that lower stretch of Franklin by Montgomery Street is pretty desolate late at night. All the foot traffic pretty much stops at President Street.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 PM

50 posts, read 90,898 times
@jcoltrane and seventhfloor...I am actually Black!! LOL!! By saying low key, I mean I would walk in and out of my apartment and not socialize with the neighbors. It may sound bad, but I like to keep to myself. I will greet and be very courteous to them...but no coming over, etc. That also goes for maneuvering through the neighborhood. It would be to and from the train station, to go grocery shopping, etc. You will not catch me hanging outside with anyone or trying to make friends with them.

It is a Mitchell-Lama apartment and out of all I've applied for, they're the only building that has called me back. I've been waiting for a long time (almost 2 years) to move and I need to do so as soon as possible so that's why I am considering the building.

I know that Manhattan, Fort Greene, Prospect Heights and Clinton Hill may be much better, but at this time, my income isn't enough to rent in those neighborhoods. I have tried contacting non HPD buildings but have had no luck whatsoever.

I don't know how much more waiting I can do to find a place. Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy are now "up and coming." They are becoming more gentrified. I actually took the subway to the location of the building and I did see a mix of people. They were people hanging outside but that happens throughout Brooklyn.

So there is my story. Also, if you all have any recommendations as far as other places I can search for apartments (management companies who respond quickly), please let me know. I've tried Craigslist but no luck.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueheartofgold View Post
@jcoltrane and seventhfloor...I am actually Black!! LOL!! By saying low key, I mean I would walk in and out of my apartment and not socialize with the neighbors. It may sound bad, but I like to keep to myself. I will greet and be very courteous to them...but no coming over, etc. That also goes for maneuvering through the neighborhood. It would be to and from the train station, to go grocery shopping, etc. You will not catch me hanging outside with anyone or trying to make friends with them.

It is a Mitchell-Lama apartment and out of all I've applied for, they're the only building that has called me back. I've been waiting for a long time (almost 2 years) to move and I need to do so as soon as possible so that's why I am considering the building.

I know that Manhattan, Fort Greene, Prospect Heights and Clinton Hill may be much better, but at this time, my income isn't enough to rent in those neighborhoods. I have tried contacting non HPD buildings but have had no luck whatsoever.

I don't know how much more waiting I can do to find a place. Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy are now "up and coming." They are becoming more gentrified. I actually took the subway to the location of the building and I did see a mix of people. They were people hanging outside but that happens throughout Brooklyn.

So there is my story. Also, if you all have any recommendations as far as other places I can search for apartments (management companies who respond quickly), please let me know. I've tried Craigslist but no luck.
Well it can't hurt you to check it out.....check it out and report back to us. Maybe you might help somebody else with your findings.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Never been in Tivoli Towers but used to hang out in the proximity around 10 years ago. The buildings were considered hood back then. I don't know if they have cleaned up since. However I am lending my knowledge of its history.

The neighborhood has changed a lot in the last 10 years.
Over the last 30 years, I have driven round and round and ROUND the area dozens of times trying to park my car for innumerable visits to the Museum and Botanic Gardens.
I have seen an improvement in the area that is almost unmatched anywhere else in town except perhaps the Bowery, Williamsburg, and Dumbo.
I have gone from "Who in God's name would live here...my car will certainly be stolen" to "I guess I missed ANOTHER buying opportunity."

Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM

I have a question. It might be a silly one, but I'm still going to ask. Here goes: doesn't federally subsidized means that the rent is based on your income?

I thought they have an income range based on family/apartment size and they base the rent on the income. I just need to make sure that is the case.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM

Anyone????

Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
I have a question. It might be a silly one, but I'm still going to ask. Here goes: doesn't federally subsidized means that the rent is based on your income?

I thought they have an income range based on family/apartment size and they base the rent on the income. I just need to make sure that is the case.

Federally subsidized MAY base rent on individual household income, this is tedious logistically, but it might instead take large swaths of people and equalize them under the umbrella term, AFFORDABLE.
Thus all one bedroom apartments would have the same rent and rent to people making a range of incomes, usually narrow.
I think the latter method is applied more often today.

So a one bedroom might cost $650/month and rent to households making $23K to $29K or something like that. But ALL the 1 Bedrooms would be the same rent.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,066 times
Does anyone know the management company for Tivoli Towers? I visited NYC.gov and it has listed Letnek Management Company, however when I called them this morning, they say they have not had that building in the past 2 years. I have been doing google searches which has not revealed any new info but brought me to this site and forum.

Thanks for your help.

LB

Old 05-25-2013, 11:39 PM

5 posts, read 27,951 times
I have been waiting to be called for an apartment at Tivoli Towers my self. I have keep in contact with the Tivilo Towers Management office hoping for an apartment. I recently called to find out where I was on the apartment waiting list and was told they had mailed me a letter for an apartment just a month prior to my calling. I told them was still interested. I was informed to mail a letter stating I was still interested in acquiring an interview for an apartment and I did that. I was told I was told the letter was received . I was also told to expect a letter from them with in 7 day. Nothing. Called back I was told 7 more days. Nothing. Called back I was told give it a little time. I still have not received it and its been about a month and a half. I like to know how did it go with trueheartofgold. I cant wait till I'm called for an apartment.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 27,951 times
Default So how is it?

Quote:

I have read your inquiry on Tivoli Towers. I also read the replies and posts to your questioning of what is it like living at Tivoli Towers. Well its been some time now according to the dates on your messages. I'd like to know did you move to Tivoli if so how do you like it? I feel similar to what you wrote in you original posting. I may be interested in moving there. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City