Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 06:01 PM

33 posts, read 228,155 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I've recently been offered a job in Saddle River, NJ. The salary is great, and the career opportunity is excellent for me. I'm a single 23 year old gay guy and I am moving to the area from Utah. I have several friends who live in Manhattan and love the city. I really want to be able to have easy access to Manhatan and be able to go out at night and be in NYC with my friends whenever I want.

My question is, is it possible to work in NJ and still have easy access to NYC? If so, where are some possible locations for me to look at living? Some places I've looked at are Jersey City and Hoboken. Do these citys provide easy access to Manhattan? If I lived in this area would the commute to Saddle River be bad if I worked M-F 9-5? What about the Bronx? Would that commute be bad?

I am really clueless about New Jersey. Any help you could provide would be great!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,855,765 times
First, you might want to visit first!

Second, this isn't too hard to do - I lived in NY and worked in NJ for almost four years.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,333,529 times
I think the commute from Jersey City or Hoboken can be done, but its not going to be pleasant. Expect an hour drive in rush hour, and if there is some big traffic jam it could easily go over an hour.

JC or Hoboken would be the best fit for you though, they have a lot going on in their own right (especially with all of the bars in Hoboken) and Manhattan is very convenient from both of these areas with the PATH.

There are some suburban towns in the area that have a decently short commute into the city (Rutherford for example only take 35 minutes to get into the city), however it is not the same as living in a place like Hoboken or Jersey City where you can hop on the PATH at any hour of the day (it runs 24/7) and only pay $1.50 to ride into Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City