Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 AM

814 posts, read 670,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,I don't think I agree and I don't think population saturation has anything to do with it unless you mean that bigger cities tend to have less crime.Philadelphia is the same size as The Bronx and the crime rate is really high too... more than double The Bronx.Miami is about the same size as Oakland but it's crime rate is considerably lower than Oakland's.

The Bronx is supposed to be the worst crime borough of NY but even if you took the worst precinct in The Bronx( in other words the worst of the worst) the crime rates are nothing like Oakland and that's comparing Oakland including all it's better areas !
I guess I was trying to say some bigger cities have more concentrated areas of crime and the population numbers offset the overall crime numbers. In other words if you took the worst 10 blocks in Brooklyn and compared them to the worst 10 blocks in Oakland there might not be as much contrast.

I think the average number of murders in Oakland per week is around 2. What is it in the Bronx or Brooklyn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:40 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
I guess I was trying to say some bigger cities have more concentrated areas of crime and the population numbers offset the overall crime numbers. In other words if you took the worst 10 blocks in Brooklyn and compared them to the worst 10 blocks in Oakland there might not be as much contrast.

I think the average number of murders in Oakland per week is around 2. What is it in the Bronx or Brooklyn?
I don't know what would happen if you tried to narrow it down to comparing such a small area.You would have to get accurate population figures for the areas first for one thing.
The Bronx also has around 2 murders per week( 113 in all of 2009) but it has a population of 1.4 M compared to Oakland's 401,000.
Brooklyn has almost 4 per week but it's population is almost double what The Bronx's is.Brooklyn's population is over 2.5M.

I did manage to figure out which police precinct in The Bronx(the 42nd with a population of 68,500) has the highest murder rate( 22 per 100,000).So even the worst precinct in The Bronx has a lower rate than all of Oakland.My guess (and it would just be a guess)is that since Oakland's rate is so high for the whole city the really bad parts might have rates of 50 per 100,000 or even higher.I don't think we have that anywhere in NYC.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-17-2010 at 04:53 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
I don't know what would happen if you tried to narrow it down to comparing such a small area.You would have to get accurate population figures for the areas first for one thing.
The Bronx also has around 2 murders per week( 113 in all of 2009) but it has a population of 1.4 M compared to Oakland's 401,000.
Brooklyn has almost 4 per week but it's population is almost double what The Bronx's is.Brooklyn's population is over 2.5M.
I think it's fair to say Oakland is worse regardless! What is crazy is Brooklyn is 70.61 sq miles(land) with 2.5m people, Queens is 109 sq miles with 2.3m people, and Oakland is 56 sq miles (land) with 400,000. Now I live here in Oakland and most of the crime is concentrated in I'd say two 10-15 block areas.

It'd be interesting to see a crime map of NYC with the murders committed in '09 or '08.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
I think it's fair to say Oakland is worse regardless! What is crazy is Brooklyn is 70.61 sq miles(land) with 2.5m people, Queens is 109 sq miles with 2.3m people, and Oakland is 56 sq miles (land) with 400,000. Now I live here in Oakland and most of the crime is concentrated in I'd say two 10-15 block areas.

It'd be interesting to see a crime map of NYC with the murders committed in '09 or '08.
Here it is ! You can see it with all the murders since '03 or drag the bar at the top to get only a specific or combination of years. You can also move the map around by clicking and dragging or zoom in on any area. Enjoy!
New York City Homicides Map - The New York Times

Old 06-17-2010, 06:20 AM

461 posts, read 2,000,407 times
Quote:
Here it is ! You can see it with all the murders since '03 or drag the bar at the top to get only a specific or combination of years. You can also move the map around by clicking and dragging or zoom in on any area. Enjoy!

Excellent link bluedog. A very accurate breakdown of homicides in the 5 boroughs. Do you know of a link that has the same breakdown for crimes other than homicides?

Old 06-17-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Great find! looking at the map there are a few concentrated areas like Bed Stuy and Brownsville, but I think these areas are too big to compare to Oakland's bad areas. Looking at the map really fine tunes the picture though, I had no idea south Brooklyn,Queens and Staten Is. was that safe. Inner Brooklyn definitely seems to be the worst out of the 5 burroughs. It'd be even more interesting to see this map stretch back into the 70's/80's. Do you have any more links? thanks!

Here's a map of Oakland's '08 homicides. I live just north of 580 near the big lake in the pic (Lake Merritt).
Oakland Homicide Map

Old 11-01-2010, 03:05 PM

19 posts, read 49,540 times
Quote:
I don't think any (even the worst) neighborhoods in NYC can compare with the worst areas of Oakland.Crime in Oakland is completely off the charts.Even the worst precincts in Brooklyn and The Bronx have a much lower crime rate than the whole city of Oakland overall so I can only imagine what the crime rates would be for a bad sections of Oakland.

Oakland had 2,000 violent crimes( murder,rape,assault,robbery) per 100,000 people in 2009 while The Bronx had about 650 and NYC as a whole had 580.Detroit ,St Louis and Memphis are the only places in the country that compare with Oakland.
Oakland doesnt really have sections like that aside from east, west, north and downtown....But last night 9 people got shot in DOWNTOWN oakland, "the nice part"...And those 2000 u speak of are the ones that are reported that number is probably damn near doubled

Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,611 times
Can anyone tell me if it is safe to ride the subway from Fordham Road near Fordham University to Lincoln Center during rush hours? Sub way goes through south bronx and west harlem.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessyqt View Post
Can anyone tell me if it is safe to ride the subway from Fordham Road near Fordham University to Lincoln Center during rush hours? Sub way goes through south bronx and west harlem.
Yes,it's safe at any hour ,but especially during the day and evening.I ride the subway through the South Bronx and Harlem from Pelham Parkway at all times and have never had any problems.Sometimes in the middle of the night you see some really creepy looking characters but that's about it.

Statistically,the subways in NYC are safer than the streets.Whatever incidents do occur usually happen either on subway platforms in desolate areas late at night or in midtown Manhattan stations,not on trains. The belief that NYC subways are overly dangerous is absurd.You are not going to get mugged just because your train is going through a poor neighborhood.The stations with the highest crime rates are 42nd st,34th st,14th st,etc.

There isn't a subway line right near Fordham.You have to go to either The Grand Concourse( B,D trains) or to Pelham Parkway/White Plains Road( 2,5 trains).If you were going from the West end of the campus( near Webster Ave), The Grand Concourse is closer.If from the East edge of the campus( Kazimiroff/Southern Boulevard),Pelham Parkway might be closer.The 2 train at Pelham Parkway goes down the West side but you would switch to the 1 train at 72nd st to get off at Lincoln Center...or walk from 72 st.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-27-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 10:49 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
@ Norcal South Brooklyn is ok... Just cause alot of murders don't happen in the area doesn't necesarily mean it's a safe area just not a kill zone like ENY tends to be... In South Brooklyn there is alot of gang activity that goes down there between 3nis, kings and Bloods... I'll give you that most of Queens though aside from the Rock and the areas in and nearby Jamaica are relatively safe... You have your exceptions to the rule that do have a decent amount of crime (i.e. Corona, Woodhaven, parts of Astoria, Flushing, Jackson Heights, Ridgewood, Ozone Park, etc. but nowhere near the level of the Brooklyn or Bronx neighborhoods...

And Staten Island to me seems to have gotten slightly worse over the years... Obviously not at early 90s levels but it didn't have the drop in crime that most other neighborhoods had during that time... It's almost like Canarcie in a sense... because despite the fact that there was more overall crime in the early 90s when it was a majority working middle class italian area, now that the demographics have shifted the numbers are very similar to back in the 90s which leads me to assume that crime (in comparison with how the rest of the city has dropped dramatically in crime since then) has actually been on the rise in that neighborhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City