Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 43,589 times

Advertisements

I'm from upstate NY, but moving to Kingsbridge area. Is that a decent neighborhood, or should I be worried with my 3 year old son?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:43 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
west of Broadway(Kindgsbridge, Corlear, Irwin, Tibbett Ave's) is safest, east of Broadway(Bailey, heath, Kingsbridge Terrace, Sedgwick) is less so, the most dangerous is Reservoir, Webb, Claflin, University, lots of crime over there

Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 8,914 times
What is the area like around ely avenue? Is this dangerous too?

Old 05-11-2009, 04:08 PM

894 posts, read 2,381,165 times
i take the 2 train to the 230's and white plains rd and im around that area and it seems quiet

Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Wow, lots of posts to respond to here.

As a small kid (late 60s/early 70s), lived on corner of Bronx Blvd. and 225th then family left with the "white flight" to Mt. Vernon (which had its own version of that a few years later in parts, but we stayed). My wife lived on Cruger Ave. until 1977 when they moved into mid-Westchester. We live in Mt. Vernon so here's my take on all this:

1) To the poster who thinks all of the Bronx and a 1 mile circumference beyond is Mod cut: language, what about Riverdale then, especially the Fieldston area?

2) While the Edenwald Houses look "scary", an ironic thing is there is a nature preserve called Seton Falls that the City in conjunction with a local school has spent the last 5 years completely renovating, finishing in 2007. It is quite a beautiful "gem" in an otherwise "bad" area. I can't imagine they'd put their resources into this if they thought no one would ever visit it (I read of groups fighting to have the same thing done with Soundview Park in the south Bronx). I read about it and went on a sunny Sunday and was pleasantly surprised to see how many people who did not look like they were from the area were hiking it.

3) I do generally believe though that the "south Bronx" is improving (mainly because it is the northward creep on gentrification from Manhattan) while the "north Bronx" is getting worse. But I think East New York and Brownsville in Brooklyn are more dangerous than any part of the Bronx (while Bed-Stuy, one of the past "danger-spots" of Brooklyn, is improving more than the south Bronx is).

4) Nonetheless, I think overall it was much more dangerous and worse in the 70s and 80s than it is today.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-12-2009 at 07:26 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 23,210 times
I was raised in the North East BX, Co-Op City, Section 5, from '74 - '95. I was born in Harlem, but raised in the Bx and now live in Atlanta. Although The NE section of the BX does not have the urban decay of lots of other areas in the city including the South BX and Harlem, it WAS largely an area in decline back then and many folks thought we were the 'rich' kids of the Bronx, especially if you lived in Co-Op City, which to a lot of peoples dismay could be farther from the truth. We had Section 8 housing and all the ails of any other inner city neighbor(HOOD) in New York City. There was rivalries amongst the neighboring blocks, The Valley, Boston Rd, Eastchester, Edenwald, Mark Terrace, Ollinville, Boston Secor, Gun Hill, etc..etc.. Many of these areas taking large numbers of casualties in the wars that went on during the late 80's and 90's. The major misconception as stated earlier, was we were a bunch of affluent kids. A lot of cats from other parts of the Bx and NYC, often came to the NE BX with that mentality and were carried out on meat wagons because of that thinking. Like Rakim said it ain't where ya from, it's where ya at.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 23,210 times
I agree with 7 wishes. Fieldston and Riverdale are very affluent areas on the Northwest section of the Bronx as well as parts of Throggs Neck out over by Marina Del Rey.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:00 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Interesting thread. I have felt far more uneasy in certain areas of the North Bronx like around the Edenewald Projects and parts of Gunhill Rd than Mott Haven. Then again, I know Mott Haven so my opinion is definitely biased. I went to high school in Baychester and it was not a pleasant experience getting off the train up there and walking to and from school...the same cannot be said walking in Mott Haven back and forth to the train on my way to school...I was never bothered, harassed, or intimidated. JUst my experience though.

Your right the North Bronx is a bit more dangerous then parts of mott haven. Projects in the North Bronx such as baychester projects edenwald and gunhill projects are far more rough then the projects in the south bronx. In mott haven no one really messes with me and everyone claims to know me. Everyone tries to keep thier peace down here in the South Bronx. WHen passed allerton avenue and everythign going from whiteplains road towards baychester avenue is dangerous. Dont get me wrong but the North Bronx seems to be very quiet at night and pleaseant but its not the truth. I have family that lives out thier but tehy live in the quiet pockets of the area. Lots of constant turf war between the jamaicans which dominate williamsbridge section of the bronx vs black americans. I use to go to Truman Highschool which borders williamsbridge and use to get into altercations with jamaicans and african americans. Also along the pelham parkway and in the woodlawn section areas thier seems to be alot of Albanian wannabe gangster/mafia movement going on so keep on eye on that. Areas such as pelham parkway, williamsbridge, coop city and wakefield is in a decline or near to be a dump. Also along the borders of bronx and westchester county can also be dangerous lots of prostitution activity happens at the border. Riverdale and spyuten dyvil is quiet Kingsbridge and norwood is ok very multi ethnic with puertoricans, guyanese, irish, albanians and dominicans but still some tension exists. Truth is North Bronx is in an overall decline while the south bronx is in an upswing. Invest your money wisely when coming to the Bronx my friends!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-07-2009 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 04:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
whats also funny is that the north bronx is heavly working class area. Most of the North Bronx is middle class but however north Bronx has a high rate of crime and decline, how can we explain this correleation?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:11 PM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
whats also funny is that the north bronx is heavly working class area. Most of the North Bronx is middle class but however north Bronx has a high rate of crime and decline, how can we explain this correleation?
very good point.....maybe somebody from the neighborhood can shed light on this situation...but like i said in previous posts i dont play around with northeast....been to edenwald once and i was like =^O

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City