Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,886,810 times

Advertisements

Are they walking in high heels or construction boots ?

When I lived in da hood, my next door neighbors would play music with a high bass at all times of the day and sometimes late night. The entire apartment would vibrate.

So one time I went and knocked in his door and I politely asked him to be more considerate with the music. He quiet down for a week or so, but he was at it shortly after. So I confronted him with a different approach. Little punk didn't see it coming.
Your case doesn't seem as bad comparatively.
In any case, unless these people are walking with some kind of heavy/noisy shoes there isn't much you can do.
If it was a coop maybe be a rule requiring carpeting would've helped but since its a condo you might be SOL.

You might wanna have a polite, casual conversation with them. Ask if its possible they use slippers or some kind of softer shoe.
You can always take them shopping (for a thick carpet) or ask them to get wings so they can float around the apartment.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,466,583 times
I think they are walking around either barefoot or in slippers, it doesn't sound like shoes to me.

My boyfriend said today it smelled like someone was smoking pot...he couldn't tell for sure if it was coming from upstairs or not.

I am really regretting renting this condo, it has been nothing but a nightmare from day 1. And to think I had to go through an approval process and pay a realtor fee for this dump. I have liked every plain old apartment better than this place.

My next place will either be a top floor or a whole house. No question.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
You're not planning to stay there for an extended period of time anyway so why sweat it knowing that you will be moving in a few months.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-19-2013, 03:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,736,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
It's so funny you say that, I was home last night and I had my TV on extra loud, not my usual way of watching it but I was trying to drown out the squeaks.
lol - that'll work too!

My husband and I go to sleep with an iPad station on a violent storm. It's soothing... if you want to ask anyone how to drown out noise, ask parents of young children. Our children are sporadic shriekers, like I was... I sleep heavily but my husband doesn't. He needs the storm to drown them out. I need the storm because I can't go to sleep with complete silence... I was never able to study that way either. BUT - I did grow up with 12 other siblings. I like noise.

Or hey - have a glass or two of pinot noir before going to bed. You'll sleep heavier and wake up in time. lol

Last edited by proulxfamily; 03-19-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,551,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Our children are sporadic shriekers, like I was... I sleep heavily but my husband doesn't.
They sporadically shriek while they're sleeping?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:55 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,736,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
They sporadically shriek while they're sleeping?
Night terrors - bad dreams but you cannot be woken up.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 03-19-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM

393 posts, read 779,654 times
I think I respond to your every post haha, but seriously it's because I've had a ton of issues with renting too. Most of the buildings I've lived in had no soundproofing whatsoever. You can hear everything all the time. You can try talking to them, but honestly I don't know how much good it's going to do. Maybe they walk too much, but on the other hand it's their apartment and life and they can do whatever they want to do. I swear the walls in some buildings are so thin that you can't live without making your neighbors miserable.

The key is to find a top floor apartment with a minimum amount of shared walls, but even that doesn't guarantee peace. The last time I moved I specifically looked for that. I share my bedroom wall with another building, so that seems to work so far although some day I can hear faint TV on the other side. I'm hoping it'll stay that way. My neighbors against the other wall though are a different story. They LOVE music...loud music with bass. I mean it sounds like I have a stereo system in my living room. My husband's been over there, and it's gotten better but still a nuisance. One of them will play it for hours. All day long. Who listens to music all day long? Nonstop? I wish he'd get headphones or at least turn off the bass.

I can hear them talking too, and sometimes I catch myself laughing loudly and I know they can totally hear me. Me and my husband play a ton of videogames too, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are wondering on the other side who the hell plays videogames for this long just like I'm wondering who listens to music for this long. It's not like I don't turn down the volume, but the walls just couldn't be any thinner. Sometimes, I feel like they are my roommates. I know when they get delivery, when their friends are over, what they like to talk about, what type of music they listen to, etc. I don't want to know these things, but I can't avoid it short of not using my living room.

I feel bad for my downstairs neighbors too because the floors squeak, and I'm an insomniac, so I do walk here and there at night. I don't walk around though per se..just from one place to another. I really try to make as little noise as possible, but there is only so much I can do. I did buy a rug recently too, so hopefully that will make it a little better for them.

Oh, one more thing that can really ********* if you look for a top floor apartment...ceiling fan. My downstairs neighbors have one, and I'm dreading the summer because I have no idea if they are going to use it. They turned it on once, and it sounded like my apartment was a laundry room. Drove me crazy until I figured out what it was, and I really wasn't happy when I did.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM

145 posts, read 305,951 times
I'm a super light sleeper and too make matters worse, I spent my childhood in a big house out in the sticks, where all you heard at night was the sound of crickets in the summer, so I have still never fully adjusted to street/neighbors' noise seeping into apartments.

The only way I can deal with it sometimes is a triple assault: earplugs, fan, and sleeping pills/ganja. Even that doesn't always work for me. None of my friends who grew up in the city seem to suffer from this problem - I am very jealous of them!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,845,576 times
Me too...with NewYowkur.
If you were planning on a long stay I would recommend your trying to get them to carpet their place, perhaps a big magilla, perhaps a waste of time.
But since you are leaving after the Summer, just try to suck it up. Remediation is just not likely to be worth the trouble for a short term benefit.

The ear plugs are a decent suggestion but they are of limited use for percussive noises.

A loud fan or air conditioner creating white noise in your apartment while you sleep might be the best suggestion. It helps for me; I'm a light sleeper and partner snores. I can't EVER open the windows because the City is too noisy.

I've been here for 2 years and thankfully have never had a clue that I even HAVE another owner upstairs (building is solid as the rock of Gibralter.)

Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,182,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Me too...with NewYowkur.
If you were planning on a long stay I would recommend your trying to get them to carpet their place, perhaps a big magilla, perhaps a waste of time.
But since you are leaving after the Summer, just try to suck it up. Remediation is just not likely to be worth the trouble for a short term benefit.

The ear plugs are a decent suggestion but they are of limited use for percussive noises.

A loud fan or air conditioner creating white noise in your apartment while you sleep might be the best suggestion. It helps for me; I'm a light sleeper and partner snores. I can't EVER open the windows because the City is too noisy.

I've been here for 2 years and thankfully have never had a clue that I even HAVE another owner upstairs (building is solid as the rock of Gibralter.)
I dream of not hearing upstairs neighbors...And then I wake up from the noise and yell shut the F*ck up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City