Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 PM

40 posts, read 366,015 times

Advertisements

Need some advice-

I'm looking to move off of Long Island and be closer to the city. I would like to start looking in Brooklyn for an apartment that is convienent to both the city and the LIRR (or subway access to the Flatbush station). My job is on Long Island and there is a stop close to my job so I plan on selling my car. I'm looking to spend up to $1900 a month. I would love to live in manhattan but don't know if this price is doable with close access to penn or on the west side.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 02:50 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Every neighborhood in BK is a little different. Depends on what you are looking for.

Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope is the prime townhomes, Boerum/Cobble Hill and Carroll gardens are old-school Brownstone Brooklyn, Fort Greene / Clinton Hill and Prospect Heights is the upscale Black/Mixed area, Bay Ridge is quiet and kinda far, Williamsburgh and Greenpoint are hipster and getting upscale. Flatbush is a mixed bag with great areas and scary areas.

Best way to find out is to grab a car and a map and check it out yourself. Only places I would truly avoid are Bed-Stuy east of Classon, Bushwick and everything East of Crown Heights to East NY and Brownsville.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:51 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
You might want to check the neighbourhoods that run along or are adjacent to the subway(s) that take you to Atlantic Avenue & the LIRR. I lived in both Park Slope and Carroll Gardens for the last 10 years, and walked to and from the LIRR-Brooklyn station (except if it was raining.

As Sassberto ^^ says each neighbourhood is different and distinct. I preferred Carroll Gardens because it still had an ethnic culture, but many would see the Slope as the "better" of the two.

Rents in these two neighbourhoods are somewhat comparable; although you may get more square feet in the Gardens.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: