Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 PM

340 posts, read 1,181,754 times

Advertisements

The subsidized price is pretty good. 1890 for a studio.

that price really doesnt sound too good to live in a shoebox right at the border of the hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,672,593 times
That's Spanish Harlem. Schomburg Plaza is not safe but that whole area has gotten a lot better.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:47 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,178,926 times
By the way market price for a 1 bedroom 6 months ago was $1950. I'm not really sure you are getting a good deal on that rent. I have always loved that building so I did a little research on it and it use to be a mitchell lama building until several years ago so the building is probably still going thru a transition phrase.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
You should be fine in the neighborhood, though be cognizant when you are out walking such that you do not wander into unknown areas at night. Also, at night, stay with the residential/hospital side of 5th Avenue, as it can be less traveled and darker over by the park, especially as 5th tends to be fairly quiet at times, especially above the E90s. And, the park that far north is not always advisable after dark, even during regular park hours as Central Park closes at 1am. The Harlem Meer is lovely, so if you can get that view, it would make it worthwhile. The neighborhood is in flux, not as posh as the rest of 5th on the UES, but is pretty reasonable in terms of safety.

There is a prison in the neighborhood, but does not generally impact the area, on 110th, about midway between 5th and Lenox. It is a minimum security facility and I think it's a work release center.

The funny thing with that 1280 building is that I gather the units are a hard sell, at the price point at which they were originally offered. It's also marketed as the UES by many brokers, which annoys me, despite the building being very interesting. I know someone who was considering a purchase there, but ultimately felt that they did not want to leave the UES for East Harlem and bought a resale condo as opposed to new construction.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 AM

4 posts, read 30,222 times
Thanks for all the advice so far. I really do appreciate it.

I agree that the 1890 for a studio doesn't sound much like as great of a deal as when they initially told me they would match me with a subsidized housing. I have looked online for housing further south but still in the 90s (again I have to be within 10min walking of Mount Sinai hospital so I can't go too much south even if a good deal arrives).

I have till mid week to accept or reject their offer of the subsidized studio at the Heritage building.

I worry that if I reject the offer once it gets closer to summer the prices may rise, it would be hard to search for good housing online alone (again I don't live in NYC and unlikely I will be able to visit prior to my move so not a good setup to see several places in person and pick the best deal). If I find a good price online i would be suspicious of if something is wrong with the building. Again some of the nicer locations near the hospital are through brokers so that is another ~ 2K in brokers fees.

But it seems like I should be ok based on the advice so far. Not perhaps the best deal out there but perhaps good enough not for me to pass up on in my situation.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 AM

912 posts, read 2,089,074 times
How much? $1900 for a 1 bed?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Yeah,

Take the $1890 deal (I agree, they aren't giving it away) and give your significant other the time to look for better digs if Heritage doesn't float your boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City