Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 06:22 PM

106 posts, read 471,909 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Austin, TX and while yes I believe it has a better standard of living than NYC, I tend to find it a little boring. I'd like to get out of the car and walk and take public transit places. Also some cold weather might be ok for a change. Also Austin is supposefully the live music capital of the world but I find most of the local music uninspiring and can't find good musicians to play with. I'd like to have access to real world class museums and. I lived in a european city for awhile and I felt much more alive and inspired while I was there. I know NYC is expensive but it seems if you subtract car payment, insurance, and gas then the cost of living would equal out. I'm 24 and have a college degree and have about 15,000 stashed away. Do you think it would be a good decision to move to NYC? Also I'm from VA orginally so I'm a bit of a southerner would that be ok in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 06:29 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Dude you're welcome to New York anytime as long as you're not _____

Old 10-27-2007, 02:53 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Absolutely, you should come! I came to NYC with about $400 bucks in savings...lol. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I got a waiting tables job right away and started making some cash. If you have $15k saved, I'd recommend flying here, scoping out which neighborhoods you have an interest in, get the rental prices for each, and narrow it down that way. Do you know anyone here--that helps if you do.
Regarding your statement about "quality of life," that's all specific to who you are. I would argue "quality of life" in Austin leaves much to be desired, as I'm sure many people who live here would also. Of course, those in Austin would say the same thing about NYC, so it all depends on perspective and what individuals want out of life.
I'm a southerner also, originally hailing from Tennessee. That makes no difference, whatsoever. NYC is the most welcoming city I've ever visited or lived. You should come check it out!

Old 10-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Yeah actually I know a couple people up there right now.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:22 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedawg View Post
I currently live in Austin, TX and while yes I believe it has a better standard of living than NYC, I tend to find it a little boring. I'd like to get out of the car and walk and take public transit places. Also some cold weather might be ok for a change. Also Austin is supposefully the live music capital of the world but I find most of the local music uninspiring and can't find good musicians to play with. I'd like to have access to real world class museums and. I lived in a european city for awhile and I felt much more alive and inspired while I was there. I know NYC is expensive but it seems if you subtract car payment, insurance, and gas then the cost of living would equal out. I'm 24 and have a college degree and have about 15,000 stashed away. Do you think it would be a good decision to move to NYC? Also I'm from VA orginally so I'm a bit of a southerner would that be ok in NYC?

Have you ever been to NYC yet-out of curiosity? I am from around your corner and would love to live there too. Everytime I visit, it gets harder and harder to leave, but I know it would be to hard to adjust to the cost of living. I live in a rather large townhouse now for just under $900 and my home in NYC or even Bklyn would cost over $3000.

I definitely think it's worth the move as yes, there's not much to do here, but I don't know how in the world one affords it w/o extra financial help.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Well most young people who live in this area are either trust-fund kids (and there's lots of them running around), they have well paying jobs in fields such as law, medicine, or business, or they have a roommate or several roommates. Thats pretty much how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post

I definitely think it's worth the move as yes, there's not much to do here, but I don't know how in the world one affords it w/o extra financial help.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:29 PM

True, but I have also seen some people here even post about how they live there on a salary of only $35k. Now unless they have multiple roommate, that completely baffles me...

Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 PM

I've been to NYC twice both when I was pretty young. I have to admit I didn't like it either time but I'm kind of craving a big city now and I think I've adapted to that lifestyle a bit.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:43 PM

Yeah, I can understand that. I'm sure things have changed drastically since you were there. I'd go a few more times before you know NYC is the big city you want for sure. If you still do, best of luck!

Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 26,418 times
If you value intamacy with the opposite sex, I strongly reccomend not moving to NYC.

Moderator cut: no blogs

Last edited by Keeper; 11-03-2007 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City