Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 AM

48 posts, read 132,473 times

Advertisements

I work 8-4. That is it. I did my share of OT, I am middle age now, and it is not about my whole entire life in an office.
i have too many other interests in life other than a job.

Americans here seem to liv to work, instead of work to live. For many years it was 9-5 8-4 7-3, then within the last 20 years it because 8-5 9-6. WTF, with all this modern technology, we should have been working less hours, instead we are no better than the stone age, as people are working longer hours.

WTF, life is way too short to be working 12 hours a day.

everyone needs balance, and yes, it is OK at times to do nothing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
If you are ambitious, have a career (as opposed to a job), and are a *professional*, then no one in NYC/tri state works a straight 9 to 5. The city is simply too competitive, and to achieve above middle class status is THE standard, as opposed to out in Transplantland, where "executives", the "executive lifestyle", and upper middle class achievement is *rare*; and, middle class is the achievement standard.

When I moved South, FL, for a time I was shocked by this middle class mentality, and by the status (and marketing) of "executive" as true elitism. Here in the NYC area, executives are a dime a dozen, in Transplantland it is the mark of elitism. Also, everything was sooo 'pegged'. You went to school, got a degree (from an approved (good ole boy) institution, you got an "executive" position, and that was it, your career path is generally set and laid out.

In NYC, there is the same sort of thing, of course on a larger scale; BUT, the real difference is that anyone, generally, with the ambition *can* break out above any *prescribed* career path, and make great strides, quickly, in income and career.

Out in Transplantland, such quick ambitious fulfillment is not the norm. You take your ticket, punch it, and move at an established pace. Which isn't that bad, given low level "executives" live an above average, above middle class lifestyle. Status and lifestyle differences are far more definite and stark out in Transplantland. So, a 9 to SIX executive out in Transplantland can achieve a distinctive lifestyle difference w/o working too hard; and, based soley upon his degree achievement.

NYC presents so much more opportunity; for those who seek it and *take* it. The average degree *may* open a door or two, but other than that, it is NOT a lifestyle *guarantee*, as is most often found out in Transplantland. In NYC, it is that extra effort, that extra work *smart*, being in the right place at the the right time (which means being there *all* the time!), making and looking for opportunity IS the difference for most who *achieve* in NYC, and those who do not, or are just 'midlin' about.

Anyway, in NYC, it is only the unambitious, union workers, government workers, working mothers/wives, and under achievers who work a straight 9 to 5.

Everyone else, is busting their asses, contubuting in the game of 'beat the competition'! Competing for promotions, raises, and 5 or 6 figure bonuses!!

Most working straight 9 to 5, generally, have no such opportunity.

Also, and significantly, one difference in the present generation of Transplants, is the false notion that Transplantland *under achievement* can be transferred; transplanted; exists, in NYC in the same manner as out in Transplantland. That NYC is just a BIGGER, more vibrant version of Transplantland.

These folk NEVER comprehended that simply achieving middle class status in NYC, would require them to HUMP their asses!! They thought it w/b *simple* like back in Transplantland, where *degree* equals middle class, and a commensurate middle class (McMansion like) lifestyle.

The *schock* of NYC's reality is kicking a lot of such Transplant butt! Ten and 12 hour days, 5 or 6 days per week of butt humping, and I still can't afford my own place (not in a ghetto!)! They never imagined such, it was never this hard, back in Transplantland!

Well, Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore!

You want it, go out and get it. Of course, you could go join a Union!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Quote:
If you are ambitious, have a career (as opposed to a job), and are a *professional*, then no one in NYC/tri state works a straight 9 to 5. The city is simply too competitive, and to achieve above middle class status is THE standard, as opposed to out in Transplantland, where "executives", the "executive lifestyle", and upper middle class achievement is *rare*; and, middle class is the achievement standard.

When I moved South, FL, for a time I was shocked by this middle class mentality, and by the status (and marketing) of "executive" as true elitism. Here in the NYC area, executives are a dime a dozen, in Transplantland it is the mark of elitism. Also, everything was sooo 'pegged'. You went to school, got a degree (from an approved (good ole boy) institution, you got an "executive" position, and that was it, your career path is generally set and laid out.

In NYC, there is the same sort of thing, of course on a larger scale; BUT, the real difference is that anyone, generally, with the ambition *can* break out above any *prescribed* career path, and make great strides, quickly, in income and career.

Out in Transplantland, such quick ambitious fulfillment is not the norm. You take your ticket, punch it, and move at an established pace. Which isn't that bad, given low level "executives" live an above average, above middle class lifestyle. Status and lifestyle differences are far more definite and stark out in Transplantland. So, a 9 to SIX executive out in Transplantland can achieve a distinctive lifestyle difference w/o working too hard; and, based soley upon his degree achievement.

NYC presents so much more opportunity; for those who seek it and *take* it. The average degree *may* open a door or two, but other than that, it is NOT a lifestyle *guarantee*, as is most often found out in Transplantland. In NYC, it is that extra effort, that extra work *smart*, being in the right place at the the right time (which means being there *all* the time!), making and looking for opportunity IS the difference for most who *achieve* in NYC, and those who do not, or are just 'midlin' about.

Anyway, in NYC, it is only the unambitious, union workers, government workers, working mothers/wives, and under achievers who work a straight 9 to 5.

Everyone else, is busting their asses, contubuting in the game of 'beat the competition'! Competing for promotions, raises, and 5 or 6 figure bonuses!!

Also, and significantly, one difference in the present generation of Transplants, is the false notion that Transplantland *under achievement* can be transferred; transplanted; exists, in NYC in the same manner as out in Transplantland. That NYC is just a BIGGER, more vibrant version of Transplantland.

These folk NEVER comprehended that simply achieving middle class status in NYC, would require them to HUMP their asses!! They thought it w/b *simple* like back in Transplantland, where *degree* equals middle class, and a commensurate middle class (McMansion like) lifestyle.

The *schock* of NYC's reality is kicking a lot of such Transplant butt! Ten and 12 hour days, 5 or 6 days per week of butt humping, and I still can't afford my own place (not in a ghetto!)! They never imagined such, it was never this hard, back in Transplantland!

Sounds more like you couldnt hack it in "Transplant" land and came to NY to be the usual wage slave.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 AM

364 posts, read 708,494 times
Quote:

Why are you so angry?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:

I would certainly agree that NYC has a lot more opportunity for wealth building than the average city--and that is often associated with (though not exclusively so) with working long hours.

New York is undoubtedly a fast paced, competitive environment--no one can argue with that. However, I think you are painting with a broad brush when you seem to believe that everyone outside the city in "transplantland" are slackers and amateurs who have low ambition levels, don't accomplish much and work 9-5.

Apple and Google both started out in "transplantland" and they can buy and sell most of the companies in NYC. The workers there obviously know what success means and put in long hours. There are many, many other examples.

This myth that you are trying to create that NYC is where all the truly successful people are is not founded in reality.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
I would say a good chunk of the successful and wealthy in NYC are transplants. Its your natives who tend to be your salaried working stiffs and or lazy union or city worker. Someone must be pissed that they got priced out by a transplant. I live in dumbo which is basically a yuppie neighborhood. I am one of the few natives in my building... Everyone else is a transplant who has succeeded in nyc.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
Why are you so angry?

I am glad to see I am not the only one that had a problem with your post.

jeez,

8-4 m-f is enough, what more do they want, my blood???

Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
“Exempt” employees, i.e., people not subject to overtime pay, are forced to work all hours, particularly in “creative class” professions. Even if they leave at 5:00, they often put in a few hours at home.

However, employers are have drastically cut back on overtime for “non exempt” employees. Five years ago I could make crazy money doing double overtime (working 20+ hour days). That doesn’t happen anymore; it’s just too expensive.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
^^thought it was generally cheaper to pay OT than hire addl employees with benefits

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:

Once again, you prove yourself to be the master of making broad generalizations that have no reflection on reality.

Tell me who is more likely to be a union or government worker - the transplant who has an advanced degree, applied for a job, and picked everything up and moved to New York, or the local guy that was born and raised here and who lacks the skills or education necessary to be hired anywhere else? You think some guy in Seattle is jumping for joy at the fact that he's moving to the big city because he was just hired at the New York DMV?

Note that I'm just reciprocating your view - unlike you, I don't view someone as lazy just because they work for a union or the government.

I don't know why you rage on transplants so much anyway. Don't you live in Astoria? Isn't that like an Eskimo complaining about snow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City