Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times

Advertisements

^^gerat insight & post. I've heard tales like this....dozens of times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM

145 posts, read 306,903 times
My friends who work for large insurance companies have pretty normal hours - I think they do 8:30-5:30.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM

145 posts, read 306,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually, working long hours does not necessarily make one rich. There are immigrants who work mad hours in dishrooms. But they'll never get anywhere.

Very often ambitious career people who work like mad often burn themselves out.

Also keep in mind you can be fired at any time, for any reason . Doesn't have to have anything to do with your performance. Your company could have financial difficulties or even go under. Devoting your life to work is an individual choice, but it can be just plain stupid. Because all you're really often doing is slaving away making someone else rich.
Especially in recent years, in which big companies have ditched regular raises and bonuses (even though they are sitting on tons of cash and always reward their elite executives) - if you are on salary, as most professional office workers are, you get no overtime pay yet are still expected to put in 50-60 hour weeks, just for the privilege of having a job!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
It’s easier to work crazy hours in New York. You can have almost anything delivered and all sorts of service providers will walk your dog or drop off your dry cleaning. It would be much harder to live that lifestyle in another city.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Whoop te do.

You realize the city doesn't revolve around you, correct? Just because that was your experience doesn't mean that no wealthy people do not work standard 9-5 hours. With 8 million people in the city, I'm sure there are people of every income level working every possible combination of hours.

Last year, I had just under 1,200 hours of overtime. That's on top of the normal base 40 hours a week. There are a bunch of people who worked less than I did and made way more, and there's people who worked a lot more than I did and made way less
Huh??????????????

You must not know what wealth is nor any wealthy people.
Wealthy people don't work moron, yes I just called you are a moron.

"Don't work for money, make your money work for you"

Most rich people are not wealthy until their old age after they collect all their accrued interest. However, by that time its too late and no old fart will give a damn about having 6 million in the bank if he or she too sick to enjoy it.

Presently, most rich people just have a 6 figure job with 6 figure expenses. Wealth is determined by your net worth, not by how much your expenses are. Typically, the suits that work ungodly hours are in fact flat "broke", because they know if they don't get that paycheck, their 6 figure expenses are gunna come knockin.

Rich people work.
Wealthy people don't.
Rich people sell their time.
Wealthy people invest their time.
Rich people work because they have to.
Wealthy people work because they want to.

BIG DIFFERENCE

Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Huh??????????????

You must not know what wealth is nor any wealthy people.
Wealthy people don't work moron, yes I just called you are a moron.

"Don't work for money, make your money work for you"

Most rich people are not wealthy until their old age after they collect all their accrued interest. However, by that time its too late and no old fart will give a damn about having 6 million in the bank if he or she too sick to enjoy it.

Presently, most rich people just have a 6 figure job with 6 figure expenses. Wealth is determined by your net worth, not by how much your expenses are. Typically, the suits that work ungodly hours are in fact flat "broke", because they know if they don't get that paycheck, their 6 figure expenses are gunna come knockin.

Rich people work.
Wealthy people don't.
Rich people sell their time.
Wealthy people invest their time.
Rich people work because they have to.
Wealthy people work because they want to.

BIG DIFFERENCE
Congrats, you're arguing semantics, the sign of a poor debater.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
Some people also love to work. 9 to 5, they gasp in horror at the thought.

I worked with a guy who, even if it was a weekend, had to go into the office if he was nearby. There was no question to him. He couldn't get enough.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Perhaps it's my career field (advertising) but I don't know anyone who gets out before 6:30p, and that includes people who DON'T take lunches. I typically leave the office around 7:30p on my best days, and I'm the type of person who eats lunch at my desk.

Do you work a steady 9-5?
Several years ago I used to work 9:30AM-5:30PM but all of my colleagues at that organization worked a regular 9-5 except my boss and myself. So I believe that many office workers work the standard 9-5. Just take a subway in the Midtown area just after 5PM (versus 4:45PM) and see how crowded it is from all those offices emptying out.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM

48 posts, read 132,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Some people also love to work. 9 to 5, they gasp in horror at the thought.

I worked with a guy who, even if it was a weekend, had to go into the office if he was nearby. There was no question to him. He couldn't get enough.

LOL,trust me, if it was the weekend I would NEVER be nearby. LOL

Old 03-30-2013, 07:00 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Perhaps it's my career field (advertising) but I don't know anyone who gets out before 6:30p, and that includes people who DON'T take lunches. I typically leave the office around 7:30p on my best days, and I'm the type of person who eats lunch at my desk.

Do you work a steady 9-5?
I work a steady 8-5

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City