Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 27,843 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping you can give me some information about buying in / living in Addisleigh Park, which is a historical district in St. Albans, Queens characterized by lots of Tudors. It was once home to a variety of notables including WEB DuBois, Ella Fitzgerald, Roy Campanella, Jackie Robinson, James Brown and more. Babe Ruth lived in the area when it was all-white.

It's very difficult to find info about the neighborhood online. The Addisleigh Park Civic Association web site seems defunct and the nabe is almost never in the news.

Most of the information about the nabe is here Historic Districts Council

What I do know:
- The area is 90% black (African American) with a relatively high HHI income (at one point, median of $80K, which has probably decreased during the recession)
- The community has been hit hard by foreclosures and there are lots of fix-and-flip properties. No idea whether these are quality renos or not but I am pessimistic.
- Some homes have been converted to rentals, which is worrying.
- The local public schools are bad or terrible. I'm not sure what education-minded parents do for schools.
- Most homes are owned by longtime residents who tend to own them for decades.
- Reportedly a lot of real estate deals are WOM between people who know each other. The few comps that are not flips seem to stay on the market for a very short period of time and command close to asking price.

I am interested in the nabe and have a $500K budget but it's so closed that I don't know what realtor to work with; area issues to be aware of, etc. If you have any info, or thoughts as to where I can find leads, please chime in! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,121 times
You have failed to mention Bill Kenny of the singing group the Ink Spots who also lived off Linden Blvd. and 179th Street in St. Albans AKA Addisleigh Park. He was often seen putting a golf ball on his lawn in the 1950's which is when I also lived there.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagliani View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping you can give me some information about buying in / living in Addisleigh Park, which is a historical district in St. Albans, Queens characterized by lots of Tudors. It was once home to a variety of notables including WEB DuBois, Ella Fitzgerald, Roy Campanella, Jackie Robinson, James Brown and more. Babe Ruth lived in the area when it was all-white.

It's very difficult to find info about the neighborhood online. The Addisleigh Park Civic Association web site seems defunct and the nabe is almost never in the news.

Most of the information about the nabe is here Historic Districts Council

What I do know:
- The area is 90% black (African American) with a relatively high HHI income (at one point, median of $80K, which has probably decreased during the recession)
- The community has been hit hard by foreclosures and there are lots of fix-and-flip properties. No idea whether these are quality renos or not but I am pessimistic.
- Some homes have been converted to rentals, which is worrying.
- The local public schools are bad or terrible. I'm not sure what education-minded parents do for schools.
- Most homes are owned by longtime residents who tend to own them for decades.
- Reportedly a lot of real estate deals are WOM between people who know each other. The few comps that are not flips seem to stay on the market for a very short period of time and command close to asking price.

I am interested in the nabe and have a $500K budget but it's so closed that I don't know what realtor to work with; area issues to be aware of, etc. If you have any info, or thoughts as to where I can find leads, please chime in! Thanks.
This was a hot topic awhile go. Good luck

Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,986 times
Default Addisleigh Park, St. Albans, Queens Realtor

The Addisleigh Park, St. Albans, Queens Realtor I highly suggest you work with for information about purchasing a home in this wonderful community is Richard Gibbs. He has been a Real Estate Broker in the area for over 37 years. As a Social Media Consultant, serving the 5 boroughs of New York City since 2009, I and my Hire It Out Services Film & Video Team recently had the opportunity to create and produce an unique 3.5 minutes Richard Gibbs Realty YouTube Web Commercial Video with him showcasing the Addisleigh Park, St. Albans, Queens Neighborhood.

It was a Saturday afternoon in June I shall never forget. I love the cultural history of the area. As far as I know, Richard Gibbs Realty and the Hire It Out Services Team and I are the first to showcase The Addisleigh Park, St. Albans, Queens neighborhood in a real estate commercial or any commercial online or offline. I highly recommend for you to watch The Addisleigh Park Landmark Homes In St. Albans Queens, NY By Richard Gibbs Realty Video on YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City