Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:20 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,033,760 times

Advertisements

I suspected as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
HA!
Shows what you know.
I'm posting from the library IN the psych ward OF a nursing home.
So there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,518,482 times
Pretty big jump from "unreasonably controlling and increasingly unbearable to live with" to physical abuse.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM

48 posts, read 131,810 times
But, in all honesty, an 18 year old with no means of income, whether she wants to move out or not, there is no landlord on Earth that would rent to her.

Unless of course she is to move in with friends.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM

48 posts, read 131,810 times
Quote:
Less than a day???
Your a fast one huh?
That's pretty good.
Can you count to 10 too?

your killin me today !!!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:56 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,779,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Pretty big jump from "unreasonably controlling and increasingly unbearable to live with" to physical abuse.
^^this^^

Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,193,479 times
Can you work on getting a PT Job? You won't make much but will gain experience and start making money.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:23 PM

8,633 posts, read 11,001,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Quote:
^^this^^

yes this. I was alluding to this as well in my prev. posts.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,238,077 times
OP, from your posts it's pretty clear that you have same fallacy of typical 18 years in areas of maturity. I'm not saying it in negative connotation. Reason why I said that is to point out that maturity level is the number one characteristics people will try to pick up when 18 year old applies for a job because maturity equates to responsbility. Prime example of maturity of 18 year old is Jhaqueil Reagan who was in the news couple months ago.

Fact is with economy the way it is, job for teenagers is very hard to get because there are adults in their early 20s or later who are willing to do the same job you may be hoping to get. Frankly speaking, for an 18 year old to get a job in the city will be difficult and very challenging. I'm talking even jobs like waiter/waitress, or even at McDonalds in city.

If you really do live in abusive home then your options are to seek shelter or get loans to pay for costs you can't address yourself. Also another option is to go to school in region that is cheaper to live. Especially if you do have good grades, scores that can get you into other schools in cheap area to live.

For example, I was accepted into NYU, Penn State, and so forth but didn't study hard enough to get enough scholarships. Instead I went to SUNY buffalo where it was cheap (at least when I attended) and I pretty much paid nothing.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 20,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Nahema, you need more information on how to get a job, an apt, and go to college than anyone on this forum can offer you. I seriously suggest that you take your situation to the college where you got your scholarship, talk to a counsellor and ask for information on working for room and board, but explain your situation - IN DETAIL. Don't leave out the important factors that you left out in your OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
You can block people so you don't have to respond. There are a lot of mean and crazy people on CD so don't put too much stock into nasty repsonses. Some of these folks are posting from the public library and you know psych and nursing home patient's have rights too? So they could be posting from a mental institution for all we know.
Thanks, did so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Anyway, listen when you start school look for a roomate situation and see if they are willing to share. Will you be able to take the loans anyway? Don't you're parents have to give consent since your under 24? You have to check the Fafsa rules..even though you have a scholarship because in order to take out loans you need to fill out a Fafsa. Your age makes you dependent on them in that respect unless the rules have changed. So you might have to find some kind of work to get the money to move out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Talk to the college that's offering you a free ride and see if they can work with you on the housing costs. Explain your situation to them - CLEARLY and EXPLICITLY, unlike the way you did it in your OP here - and ask them for help in either making the housing they offer more affordable for you, or pointing you in the direction of SAFE, affordable housing that's suitable for someone your age. If they can't help you, talk to the other college and see if they'd be willing to work with you to make tuition/housing on campus as affordable as you need it to be. If that's also not an option, live with your friend's family. I get that it won't be 100% comfortable for you there, but it's (a) safe and (b) free.

Frankly, I don't think a reputable landlord would rent to someone your age at all, and certainly not without parental co-signers on the lease and proof of income/a large security deposit/etc.

Finally, if you remain convinced that your only option is to rent your own apartment, you're going to need at least 3 months' rent saved up (possibly four, or even five, if you work with a realtor and/or the landlord demands more rent up-front given that your age and lack of work history make you a high-risk tenant). You'll obviously need a job to save that kind of money - once you're at college, look at the student job board at your school, there will be postings for on-campus jobs for students (and they won't mind that you lack job experience, since many students do). As for right now, fast food and retail are generally willing to hire people without job experience, so start there.

As for the alleged physical abuse, assault and battery is a crime - call the police. (Side note, please work on your reading comprehension skills at college - no one here told you to stick through the abuse. People were responding to your OP, in which you described your parents as "controlling", when they were telling you to stick it out. Nothing about your original post gave any indication whatsoever that you were being abused, so "suck it up and stick it out" was perfectly reasonable advice until you revealed that information.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Nahema -

Nice job on maintaining honors grades and for the scholarships you've earned. You're obviously very bright, but at your age obviously have a lot of growing to do like most 18 year olds.

While this board is usually immensely helpful, there are certain questions that involve personal details unbeknownst to the reader, and many, many subjective situations.

Leaving the fact that living independently in NYC is a challenge for many years older and potentially wise than you aside (I'm sure you are well aware and don't care to hear it), here is some basic advice:

- many people read the original post and go no further before replying; as information was limited responses will follow suit...
- As many have said, you need more assistance that this board can provide
- Do you have guidance counselors at your school?
- Are there any adults that you can rely on?

Before jumping into debt or into a worse situation, I would speak to the latter two if possible.
Thanks for the helpful tips - I'll make use of them. Yes I am very willing to take out loans for dorms and will speak to the financial aid office at my college for that. It seems that rooming elsewhere may be cheaper but the help I'd get from my school's housing dept would probably be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
yes this. I was alluding to this as well in my prev. posts.
I am new to this forum and I clearly don't know how it works around here but I'm a bit surprised at the backlash at not having revealed early on that I come from an abusive home. Being abused is not something anyone would particularly love to reveal. I get that including that detail would yield more helpful answers, but for some of you to belittle the reality of my situation because of it? Anyway, point taken.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,779,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahema View Post

I get that including that detail would yield more helpful answers, but for some of you to belittle the reality of my situation because of it? Anyway, point taken.
Point taken?
Good.
OF COURSE telling us your full and total tale of woe would have gotten you better original answers.
They're not all heartless.
I mean...I am...but not all of them are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City