Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,595 times

Advertisements

How possible or far fetched is a daily, rush hour reverse commute from NYC to Norwalk?

My son will be interning at Xerox in Norwalk, CT for three months during the summer and will have to find housing/transportation for the time being. We live in AZ and he would not be able to take his car all the way to CT. He is insistent on living in NYC and commuting daily to Xerox headquarters (address: 45 glover avenue) by taking the MTA express train from Grand Central.

Past interns have told him that Norwalk has a very poor offering of entertainment compared to NYC, and that the tradeoff of living in NYC for a person his age (22) and from a small town is definitely worth the 70-90 minute commute plus additional transportation costs. He INSISTS that is what he wants and that is worth trying given that it's only three months. Putting aside issues of taxes/higher cost of living, how possible or far fetched is a daily, rush hour reverse commute from NYC to Norwalk?

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
The Danbury branch is infrequent (the station is right by Merritt 7), so it would be helpful if he had somebody who could pick him up from the Norfolk station, because he wouldn't have to deal with the CTTransit buses. (Unless he was able to time himself for a train that connects with a Danbury Branch train).

In any case, it's doable. He would just have to find a place to live that's convenient to Metro-North. (It would probably involve taking the subway to Grand Central, because he wants to be in Manhattan, where all the action is).

Old 03-28-2013, 05:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
The branch Xerox is on doesn't get much service, the only morning rush hour train arrives at 9:01 AM. In the reverse direction, the only rush hour-ish trains are at 3:54 and 5:54 PM. 1:25 long train ride + subway to get to/from Grand Central. The other option is a bus transfer from the main train line, but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 AM

82 posts, read 218,734 times
I don't know anything about the commute, but I have to say I think your son is right. I don't see what the point is of coming all the way here and living in Norwalk for a summer. New York is something different - living here is probably as much of an education as the internship would be (and that's coming from someone who is moving out of the area soon).

I would never do that commute permanently, let me be clear. But for a summer, for a young guy, who wants to go out during the week with friends and such, and be in the city on the weekends, sure.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 AM

82 posts, read 218,734 times
I thought about it some more, though. It is very far. Maybe you can propose a compromise, if you're against this. Live in Norwalk during week. Use savings for hotels on weekends. I still think it is a big shame to come here and stay mostly in Norwalk.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelealvarado View Post
How possible or far fetched is a daily, rush hour reverse commute from NYC to Norwalk?

My son will be interning at Xerox in Norwalk, CT for three months during the summer and will have to find housing/transportation for the time being. We live in AZ and he would not be able to take his car all the way to CT. He is insistent on living in NYC and commuting daily to Xerox headquarters (address: 45 glover avenue) by taking the MTA express train from Grand Central.

Past interns have told him that Norwalk has a very poor offering of entertainment compared to NYC, and that the tradeoff of living in NYC for a person his age (22) and from a small town is definitely worth the 70-90 minute commute plus additional transportation costs. He INSISTS that is what he wants and that is worth trying given that it's only three months. Putting aside issues of taxes/higher cost of living, how possible or far fetched is a daily, rush hour reverse commute from NYC to Norwalk?

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
If your son is 22 he is a grown man and he should be able to figure this out for himself.It has nothing to do with you.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM

145 posts, read 306,941 times
My father lives in CT- in the Danbury area - which generally requires a transfer in Norwalk when I visit. It's a very long train ride - about an hour and 10 minutes between Grand Central and Norwalk and there aren't a lot of trains in the evening or on weekends. I know I wouldn't want to do it every day!

Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Most places outside big urban areas have very poor entertainment compared with NYC. Can he get a job in Paris? He is going to Norwalk for the job experience, not to go sightseeing. It will benefit his career at a time when younger workers are having difficulty landing jobs. That said it makes more sense to rent somewhere closer and go to NYC for leisure.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
Guy needs to keep himself open to work late nights to give that impression and get a good rec. No way to do that if he is taking an early train home every day.

mack on the girls at a seaside bar in stamford weeknights, NYC on the weekends.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
It's not far at all SoNo to GC can be under 55 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City