Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM

424 posts, read 970,568 times

Advertisements

With hurricane season starting up again I’m wondering if anyone else packed up after Sandy and headed for higher ground. It obvious now that the Rockaways and low lying areas of Staten Island are prone to storm surges and devastation Hurricanes can cause but I can’t help but worry about the other boroughs.

Even though my neighborhood in Astoria wasn’t effected by the hurricane seeing pictures of flooded runways at LaGuardia (only a mile from my old apartment) were enough to make me move to Inwood in Upper Manhattan. Before that I was considering Gramercy or Hoboken (which is now out of the question seeing what happened there) but the power outage and working right on the border of what I referred to as the “No Power Zone” convinced me it’s not the wisest thing to move to lower lying areas of the city.

I was reading some articles that state real estate agents are still having a tough time selling condo’s downtown and along the city’s waterfront. There's also rumors that “trendy” areas of the city lost some of their appeal like DUMBO and the Lower East Side. One of my friends who lived in the West Village told me the Hudson swelled over the West Side Highway and flowed east; almost to Hudson Street during the height of the storm. The resulting power outage made him move to the UWS. That was alarming to hear since I often hang walk around Far West Village imagining what it would like to live there. It's hard to imagine the Hudson sloushing at the doorsteps of mutli-million dollar buildings and converted horse stables lining Greenwich St since I thought it wasn't a flood zone.

I’m wondering if anyone else reconsidered their neighborhood and moved to safer area of the city in the months after Sandy?

Last edited by ehanson; 03-28-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 AM

237 posts, read 783,444 times
I wonder this myself. I lived in South Beach on Staten Island, which was slammed during Sandy. I did not receive any damage but was very lucky (I was up on a hill).

I am considering moving back towards the water, and am kind of apprehensive about it.....

Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,330,296 times
I think if a similar storm hits us, or some other disaster which floods areas again within the next 5 years, housing patterns will shift and more people will head uptown and to higher ground.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,239,500 times
Personally I think it's affecting design of new development near water but not influencing the overall buying habits for housing market. Exception being the areas that's been devastated.

For example, Domino's factory Williamsburg had redesign proposal by Two Trees to be further back from water. But there hasn't been any notable sign of declining housing market in sale/rental for water front areas in city.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think if a similar storm hits us, or some other disaster which floods areas again within the next 5 years, housing patterns will shift and more people will head uptown and to higher ground.
I agree, I think that, like after Katrina, a lot of people were terrified to go back to certain areas but then eventually people got comfortable again. I am really curious to see if there is another bad storm this year. So far, we had Irene and then Sandy, and I shudder to think of a storm worse than Sandy.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,859,101 times
I was living in the Rockaways on the Beach. Post Sandy, I ended up moving to the North Bronx (Wakefield) The Bronx is on high ground and on the North American mainland. So I feel safer. I think I would always want my permanent residence to be on higher ground, but doesn't mean I wouldn't have summer rentals in places on the water. I still love swimming and the beach.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,101,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
I agree, I think that, like after Katrina, a lot of people were terrified to go back to certain areas but then eventually people got comfortable again. I am really curious to see if there is another bad storm this year. So far, we had Irene and then Sandy, and I shudder to think of a storm worse than Sandy.
Some areas still suffered severe population loss. The Lower Ninth Ward lost about 80-90% of its population (and this was about 6 years after the storm, after people had already been coming back)

Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Some areas still suffered severe population loss. The Lower Ninth Ward lost about 80-90% of its population (and this was about 6 years after the storm, after people had already been coming back)
Yea I know, but I don't see that happening in NYC for some reason. Lower Ninth Ward was such a poor area. The whole thing is so sad

Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,859,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
Yea I know, but I don't see that happening in NYC for some reason. Lower Ninth Ward was such a poor area. The whole thing is so sad
The Lower 9th Ward is below the level of the sea in a city surrounded by a lake and a river. Flooding there was much worse than anything NYC experienced.

With that said, the NY Times said Long Beach lost 40% of its population, so certain badly hit areas in NY have lost major population. A lot of the houses in the Rockaways have been purchased by speculative investors as the previous owners can't afford the required upgrades mandated by the city and insurance companies.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,014,547 times
My friend did. Her house is destroyed, her uncle killed. Such a tragedy all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City