U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 AM
 
23 posts, read 59,034 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi all --

The Penn South Mitchell-Lama coops have not opened up their waitlist since 2003. I checked on their WL recently and the their office stated the status as "closed indefinitely."

I am also wondering about York Hill, Village View, Gouverneur Gardens in Manhattan, and Cadman Towers in Brooklyn Heights. Does anyone have any information about the waitlists becoming available for these M-L coops (based on word of mouth, or customary cycle to open)? Any info if any of these M-L coops are converting to private?

Any information at all would be helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 AM
 
30,340 posts, read 43,599,107 times
Reputation: 12866
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechelseahotel View Post
Hi all --

The Penn South Mitchell-Lama coops have not opened up their waitlist since 2003. I checked on their WL recently and the their office stated the status as "closed indefinitely."

I am also wondering about York Hill, Village View, Gouverneur Gardens in Manhattan, and Cadman Towers in Brooklyn Heights. Does anyone have any information about the waitlists becoming available for these M-L coops (based on word of mouth, or customary cycle to open)? Any info if any of these M-L coops are converting to private?

Any information at all would be helpful.
Cadman Towers is no longer ML.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 PM
 
23 posts, read 59,034 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks for the info on Cadman Towers, SeventhFloor!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 PM
 
23 posts, read 59,034 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Cadman Towers is no longer ML.
I contacted Cadman Towers today after learning that their waitlist had opened up less than two or so years ago. The voice on the other end of the phone was adamant that they are still M-L.

If CT plans to leave the M-L structure, when would they convert to private?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM
 
30,340 posts, read 43,599,107 times
Reputation: 12866
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechelseahotel View Post
I contacted Cadman Towers today after learning that their waitlist had opened up less than two or so years ago. The voice on the other end of the phone was adamant that they are still M-L.

If CT plans to leave the M-L structure, when would they convert to private?
Interesting. I was pretty sure I had heard reports that they went private. I noticed that their buying prices is higher than other Mitchel-Lama co-ops.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
24,774 posts, read 34,770,553 times
Reputation: 12297
I have a September 2012 issue of the MITCHELL-LAMA RESIDENT COATION newletter. Headline is
CADMAN TOWERS RESIDENTS VOTE TO REMAIN IN MITCHELL-LAMA.
(From what I gather it was an ugly fight.)


Chelsea, a tip:
When these fights are over and the the building remains in Mitchell-Lama some of those hoping to turn a quick buck will give up and move out.
It MAY facialitate the opening of the waiting list.
Fingers crossed for you.

I know somebody who years and years and years ago was offered an apartment in CP but they were having delays opening, so he turned it down and moved to SI. He has often said it was one of the stupidest things he has ever done.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-01-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 AM
 
23 posts, read 59,034 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks, Kefir King.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
24,774 posts, read 34,770,553 times
Reputation: 12297
Something seems to have opened up... a neighbor papered my lobby.
I am not sure of the location. The newspaper notification says MANHATTAN-UPPER WEST SIDE but using a search engine there is pointer link to something close to 28th and Eighth Ave. It's a Mitchell-Lama Rental ($568.51-$610.09 for the 1 BR but income limit is to $96K for 2)

Anyhow, here's a link. A right click on the box on the left allows for opening the ad...more readable.
You have til the 27th to get a postcard to them with your name.
New York Daily News*| Classifieds

Note that the addresses are different for 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom applications.

If you find out where it is, let us know. (My guess is that it's Jefferson Towers on the UWS...just a guess becasue it opens every now and then.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM
 
43 posts, read 195,014 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Something seems to have opened up... a neighbor papered my lobby.
I am not sure of the location. The newspaper notification says MANHATTAN-UPPER WEST SIDE but using a search engine there is pointer link to something close to 28th and Eighth Ave. It's a Mitchell-Lama Rental ($568.51-$610.09 for the 1 BR but income limit is to $96K for 2)

Anyhow, here's a link. A right click on the box on the left allows for opening the ad...more readable.
You have til the 27th to get a postcard to them with your name.
New York Daily News*| Classifieds

Note that the addresses are different for 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom applications.

If you find out where it is, let us know. (My guess is that it's Jefferson Towers on the UWS...just a guess becasue it opens every now and then.)

Do you know anything about Jefferson Towers? I'm going to apply for this for the hell of it anyway I have nothing to lose just wanted to know more about it! I currently Live in a Mitchell Lama apartment rental and the rent increases are killing me every year since I'm not in the 30% of gross income category so I'm paying market rate so these Mitchell lama coops seem appealing to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
24,774 posts, read 34,770,553 times
Reputation: 12297
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbkshorty View Post
Do you know anything about Jefferson Towers? I'm going to apply for this for the hell of it anyway I have nothing to lose just wanted to know more about it! I currently Live in a Mitchell Lama apartment rental and the rent increases are killing me every year since I'm not in the 30% of gross income category so I'm paying market rate so these Mitchell lama coops seem appealing to me.

All I know is that I spoke with a couple residents of Jefferson Towers in a theater and they both liked the place, and were amazed the waiting listis opened so often.
(We all conjectured the death rate had something to do with it. )


So then shorty, you are paying the 50% surcharge on the usual rent? It's still usually a much better deal than market rent. You would face the same situation with a co-op's maintenance.


If you respoond to the ad, let us know where the place is.

If the Google map marker at 28th and Eight is in the right place, this COULD be Penn-South. Maybe I should send in an application...yeah right, another move would likely kill me.


Ahhh, what's to lose...if I can find a postcard, I'll send for an application.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-13-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top