Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM

195 posts, read 303,440 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to New York for school (hopefully FIT) a year from now. I have friends and family up there and I'm planning of taking a week trip up there around the end of June. As I want to get a feel for the either manhattan or Brooklyn I'd like to rent an apartment for that time. I'm interested in Chelsea due to the proximity to the school and I am going for an information session. However I'm also interested in UWS or Lenox Hill, or somewhere in brownstone brooklyn that has a quick commute. Does anyone know of any babes I should look for a week rental or websites to check out for that. Also, any advice on places to visit or eat, Eric would be great. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 11:48 AM

46,001 posts, read 34,988,992 times
Airbnb is always a good site for wanting to rent an apartment for a week and it gives you a good idea of what it would be like renting in the city.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Airbnb is always a good site for wanting to rent an apartment for a week and it gives you a good idea of what it would be like renting in the city.
Thanks! In recommendations on babes to stay in (Chelsea, BH, Park Slope, Cobble Hill or Carroll Gardens) it would have to be convenient to FIT ans safe enough for a first timer.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:47 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,775,102 times
What is your budget, as the neighborhoods you list are some of the more expensive.

Btw, a "babe" is a hot chick, not a neighborhood! Try not to take on the persona of a NYC native, you can't pull it off.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
What is your budget, as the neighborhoods you list are some of the more expensive.

Btw, a "babe" is a hot chick, not a neighborhood! Try not to take on the persona of a NYC native, you can't pull it off.
I assume the op meant "nabe" rather than "babe". Again as mentioned you need to let us know what your potential budget will be before anyone can give you good advice about where to rent a room or an apt.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,180,064 times
Visiting NYC before I move, WTD?

Also may try and saying what you mean instead of WTD? As someone who will be grown, going to school and getting an apartment its not cool. It makes you come across a certain way.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 PM

7 posts, read 10,576 times
Quote:

Old 03-31-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Autocorrect obviously changed "nabes" to "babes". I was not intending to be chauvinistic. I am aware those are the more expensive areas, but I'm looking to spend about $100 per night/ $700 for the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I assume the op meant "nabe" rather than "babe". Again as mentioned you need to let us know what your potential budget will be before anyone can give you good advice about where to rent a room or an apt.
My budget is about $700 for the week. When I move I'll get a monthly stipend of $3200, but I'm looking to spend no more than 2500 for a 1br. So I can pay the rest of my bills with the remainder if that and hopefully get a job to save and have a little money to burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Visiting NYC before I move, WTD?

Also may try and saying what you mean instead of WTD? As someone who will be grown, going to school and getting an apartment its not cool. It makes you come across a certain way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selistings View Post
I was asking "what to do". As I wanted to fit the entire idea in the title and this is an online community where people are at least somewhat familiar with the Internet, google, and acronyms I didn't think too many people would be lost. In person I definitely come across as something other than a young tween.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,484,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
Autocorrect obviously changed "nabes" to "babes". I was not intending to be chauvinistic. I am aware those are the more expensive areas, but I'm looking to spend about $100 per night/ $700 for the week.

My budget is about $700 for the week. When I move I'll get a monthly stipend of $3200, but I'm looking to spend no more than 2500 for a 1br. So I can pay the rest of my bills with the remainder if that and hopefully get a job to save and have a little money to burn.

I was asking "what to do". As I wanted to fit the entire idea in the title and this is an online community where people are at least somewhat familiar with the Internet, google, and acronyms I didn't think too many people would be lost. In person I definitely come across as something other than a young tween.
I've literally never seen WTD before, but then I'm in my late 20s now, so I suppose I'm getting over the hill.

In any case, I just did a quick search on airbnb and prices a lower than what I would have expected. I see some decent looking rooms in an apartment (not the whole apartment) in the East Village for around $100 a night.

Once you're looking for a place of your own, a $2,500 will get you your own one bedroom in Chelsea. It won't be a penthouse or anything, but it will be your own place. Or if you're open to roommates, you can go that route and save even more money.

Last edited by Febtober; 03-31-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-31-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I've literally never seen WTD before, but then I'm in my late 20s now, so I suppose I'm getting over the hill.

In any case, I just did a quick search on airbnb and prices a lower than what I would have expected. I see some decent looking rooms in an apartment (not the whole apartment) in the East Village for around $100 a night.

Once you're looking for a place of your own, a $2,500 will get you your own one bedroom in Chelsea. It won't be a penthouse or anything, bu it will be your own place. Or if you're open to roommates, you can go that route and save even more money.

I'm also from Atlanta - good luck with the move!
I'm in my mid 20s, so I'm not that far behind you.

I was expecting to spend a grand honestly, so that came as a pleasant surprise. I noticed more studios in my price range, which is fine by me as I'm just looking for an experience of living there before I actually move. I don't want to go in jaded.

My friends tell me ill have no trouble finding a suitable place. I'm torn between chelsea/UWS (easy commute to FIT) and the Brooklyn brownstone area (I LOVE brownstones and it seems a little quiter). I think I'll do BH or park slope for the visit this time and do Chelsea next time as I'll be closer to friend in bed-stuy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City