Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I understand you didn't live on White Plains Rd. You lived on 238th st? I totally know the area. The wakefield area is a tough area. It's a open secret that drugs are sold all along White Plains Rd. 241th st being a real hot spot for overall crime. I do like Peppinos on 241th st. In terms of your house being worth 400k? 90% sure it's the #1 area in the Bronx for homes under water and foreclosures. You may of dodged a bullet by not buying. BTW the decline of that overall area really crushed the 2 Catholic HS's in that area. Mount and Spellman. Kids were getting mugged or attacked on a daily basis. Both schools were slow to react and by the time they purchased the yellow school buses as a private charter the damage was done.
I bought in Pelham Parkway, and maybe the area is #1 in f/c..I wouldn't know. I DO know that my home wouldn't have been one of them and it would be worth significantly more than what I would have paid.

I know drugs are sold on WPR and 241, but I lived in the area as a young woman. I know first-hand my experience there. And I didn't feel unsafe and the people on my block were largely West Indian homeowners. Like I said, I definitely wouldn't live in areas that I felt were not suitable for me, so you can relate crime stats and the like but my personal experience, though anecdotal, is just as valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I bought in Pelham Parkway, and maybe the area is #1 in f/c..I wouldn't know. I DO know that my home wouldn't have been one of them and it would be worth significantly more than what I would have paid.

I know drugs are sold on WPR and 241, but I lived in the area as a young woman. I know first-hand my experience there. And I didn't feel unsafe and the people on my block were largely West Indian homeowners. Like I said, I definitely wouldn't live in areas that I felt were not suitable for me, so you can relate crime stats and the like but my personal experience, though anecdotal, is just as valid.
Yes, your feeling are your feelings. Also what one person feels is a lack of quality of life may not be a big deal to another.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Yes, your feeling are your feelings. Also what one person feels is a lack of quality of life may not be a big deal to another.
Quality of life is very important to me. I've been fortunate to have a great quality of life (in most definitions of the words) my entire life both in NYC and in Texas. "Quality of life" is also very subjective. For some people, not having a community swimming pool in their subdivision is a "lack of quality of life". I consider good schools and safety "great quality of the life." At a 19 year old, when I resided in Wakefield, I considered a) proximity to transportation for an easier commute, b) immediate area, and c) crime. Not to mention, I'd probably have to move out of NYC altogether if I wanted to get everything, and I guess that's what I did.

I'm failing to see the point you're trying to get at here.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Quality of life is very important to me. I've been fortunate to have a great quality of life (in most definitions of the words) my entire life both in NYC and in Texas. "Quality of life" is also very subjective. For some people, not having a community swimming pool in their subdivision is a "lack of quality of life". I consider good schools and safety "great quality of the life." At a 19 year old, when I resided in Wakefield, I considered a) proximity to transportation for an easier commute, b) immediate area, and c) crime. Not to mention, I'd probably have to move out of NYC altogether if I wanted to get everything, and I guess that's what I did.

I'm failing to see the point you're trying to get at here.
I'm agreeing with your point!!! Everyone is different and what one considers important may not be important to others. What if your a couple with no kids? Maybe you want a whole foods supermarket or more viable shopping? What if your a family that is practicing catholic? Maybe a catholic education is important? Like you stated you are very aware of the open drug market along 241th WPR. For some people that may be enough to call Uhaul. For others it's no big deal. I cannot answer these questions because everyone is different. No one person has a personal license on perception or how one feels.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
I understand you didn't live on White Plains Rd. You lived on 238th st? I totally know the area. The wakefield area is a tough area. It's a open secret that drugs are sold all along White Plains Rd. 241th st being a real hot spot for overall crime. I do like Peppinos on 241th st. In terms of your house being worth 400k? 90% sure it's the #1 area in the Bronx for homes under water and foreclosures. You may of dodged a bullet by not buying. BTW the decline of that overall area really crushed the 2 Catholic HS's in that area. Mount and Spellman. Kids were getting mugged or attacked on a daily basis. Both schools were slow to react and by the time they purchased the yellow school buses as a private charter the damage was done. BTW on 238th street they are housing or about to begin housing for a mens homeless shelter. 300-500 men. Consider yourself lucky not to have purchased a home there.
Drugs are sold all in Chelsea, the West Village, Lower East Side, UES, or any wealthy white neighborhood. there have been huge drug busts in Columbia University, NYU, and at Cornell University.

And on WPR in the Bronx I have never been approached by anyone trying to sell me drugs. And I live in the North Bronx. In Wakefield. I know you're a white racist who wants to say all Black people are evil, criminals, but knock it off.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Drugs are sold all in Chelsea, the West Village, Lower East Side, UES, or any wealthy white neighborhood. there have been huge drug busts in Columbia University, NYU, and at Cornell University.

And on WPR in the Bronx I have never been approached by anyone trying to sell me drugs. And I live in the North Bronx. In Wakefield. I know you're a white racist who wants to say all Black people are evil, criminals, but knock it off.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
black people are just as good as any other
people, if not even better for all the nonsense
people have to deal with. wake up. anyone
who thinks blacks are superficially evil
wouldn't be able to make it in a black person's
shoes.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You do not have to educated to know 1+1=2. ?

I guess you forgot what you might have been like as a kid or young adult. People who spend time thinking and not acting tend to be more rational at that age. And that curbs their natural reaction to be emotional.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Why leave for Texas? How's 241th st and WP doing? That's a short 3 blocks from where you lived?

241st street and WPR is a whole different world and most of the folks who gather there do not live there.

Put on your hood and go scream with your fellow KKK lunatics.

Nereid Ave, from Barnes Ave onwards are mainly owner occupied homes, which means that they check their tenants out, as no one who owns a home will want to exposure themselves, their families or their property to the criminal element.

Funny thing is I do not feel safe in Norwood as there are way too many huge tenant buildings, which means a much higher probability of all kinds of renters being around. The hardworking and the other group.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
I stick to my original statement that they're are far more working/middle class (NONE considered "dangerous" or "crime-ridden") prominently black neighborhoods in NYC than they're poor/poverty-stricken neighborhoods and that's a fact.

You cant help these racists who pine for NYC of 1900 when there were few black around.

They will tell you that LES in those days was perfectly safe and that all the stories of drunken and criminal Irish with their broken families was all a lie.

I mean Hells Kitchen was packed with nuns and hard working Catholics, who had no reason for confession as they lived sin free lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City