Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Only 40% black so not black enough. Lol. People just can't believe that when a significant portion of the peple living in the neighborhood are black that it can still be a decent neighborhood.
Exactly. If you meet someone on the street, there's a 4 out of 10 chance that person is Black. So its a significant Black presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 AM

420 posts, read 804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
As for the failure of Black dads, that's also a failure of the women who got knocked up by a man who had no intention of supporting them. There is a such a thing as birth control, you know. These women raised up boys who will do the same thing to other girls. Lets face it, a trashy women is going to attract a trashy man and vice versa. The high rate of single motherhood was also made possible by the welfare system.

As I previously stated ,NYC, when built huge housing projects and spent massive amounts of money on easy welfare, what kind of people did they think they were going to attract to town? Of course they attracted SCUM. One reason why you can get newer arrivals in (Caribbean, African, Black Hispanic) is since the cut easy welfare, landlords now have to rent to working people. So the Black American and Puerto Rican underclass got pushed out of big parts of town, while immigrants replaced them (those Black Americans and Puerto Ricans who are working and living legitimate lives are still here, I'm speaking of underclass people who were content to live off scraps from welfare).

As for the church playing such a good part in the lives of working Black lives, please. Most working black guys (even the married ones) are boozing it up on Sundays. The Church is for old menopausal ladies. Regardless of their income level, the church does not have much sway among blacks, and this is true whether they are American, Caribbean, or Latin!
You could not be wrong on this point. Thinking about my colleagues, all of whom are black and solidly middle-class, they all are devoutly religious.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Parkchester is not a black neighborhood. Brownsville is, southside jamaica ...but not Parkchester, were most people you encounter on the street will be non-black.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,436 times
Yes all of those negroes.

Like folks are doing the people that live there a favor by considering moving there. Who cares? Enjoy the long commute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I had no idea Parkchester was that black, wtf ,0_o

Last edited by Jasper03; 04-01-2013 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
You could not be wrong on this point. Thinking about my colleagues, all of whom are black and solidly middle-class, they all are devoutly religious.
Thinking about living in the Black community among solidly middle class religious people and knowing their entire families. In these families in which you speak (count aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc) you'll still have people who went to jail, do drugs, drink booze like a fish, etc. The devoutly religious front is a charade. Superficially, you could find two married people who sent their kids to Harvard and the family will seem fine. But behind closed doors that's always a lot more than meets the eye.

In fact, a lot of devoutly religious black parents (middle class no less) have teenage daughters who get knocked up. Now some people will solve this with abortions as they want their daughters to go to college (I've had friends in this category). In other cases they kid will be put up for adoption, and sometimes someone in the family is willing to adopt the kid (sometimes the grandparents).

And a lot of people use the church to hide their failings. A religious man maybe married, but a lot of these men are womanizers, drunks, etc. Maybe at least one of his kids went to college, but whatever. They aren't really religious privately or socially, but they will put on this front for image. A fake front. Of course this happens all the time in other races as well.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Yes all of those negros.

Like folks are doing the people that live there a favor by considering moving there. Who cares? Enjoy the long commute!
Yeah right ? Smh negroes.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
...As for the church playing such a good part in the lives of working Black lives, please. Most working black guys (even the married ones) are boozing it up on Sundays. The Church is for old menopausal ladies. Regardless of their income level, the church does not have much sway among blacks, and this is true whether they are American, Caribbean, or Latin!...
This is plainly one of the the most ridiculous things I've ever seen written on CD and demonstrates either your bias against religion in general or your ignorance about what the church has done for black America -- both here in NYC and generally.

I'll stipulate that there are a lot of hypocrites in churches -- but that's not especially a black problem. There are hypocrites of all colors and ethnicities in churhces, temples, synagogues, and mosques, all over the world. But a spiritual community is meant to attract and help the imperfect among us, not keep them out and ignore them. I'll also stipulate that black churches by themselves cannot "cure" what's wrong with black America, and that will take effort on many levels of society.

But for years churches have been the only stable institituions under black control. So they've produced a large share of black leadership in the political and civic world. Here in New York they have started and run schools, constructed housing, operated social services, given out scholarhsips, and yes, provided paths for spiritul growth for many people who are not "old menopausal ladies." I know many men, young,old, gay, straight, educated, uneducated, middle-class, poor, who have found one or more of these things at black churches in NYC. So to say that the church does not hold "much sway" is a sweeping generalization that IMO has no basis in fact. Beleiveing that probably depends mainly on the circle you run with and the people you know.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
they look like diverse in races to me.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
But for years churches have been the only stable institituions under black control. So they've produced a large share of black leadership in the political and civic world. Here in New York they have started and run schools, constructed housing, operated social services, given out scholarhsips, and yes, provided paths for spiritul growth for many people who are not "old menopausal ladies." I know many men, young,old, gay, straight, educated, uneducated, middle-class, poor, who have found one or more of these things at black churches in NYC. So to say that the church does not hold "much sway" is a sweeping generalization that IMO has no basis in fact. Beleiveing that probably depends mainly on the circle you run with and the people you know.
The Black churches produced a lot of has beens like Jesse Jackson, yes. But the Blacks who made it to the top did not do so because of their connections to the Black church/ President Obama was raised by his white family and attended two of the top white universities in the country, Columbia and Harvard. His wife Michelle, born to Black parents, attended two other top white universities, Princeton and Harvard.

The church, Black or otherwise, doesn't do crap for you in this capitalist society and world!

Social services often don't do crap for people who very often remain poor. And if church was such an all encompassing institution, we would not be discussing the things we're discussing on this thread or in general.

You can go to church all you want, but if your landlord jacks up the rent and you can't pay it, you are out of there, plain and simple. The church won't get you a good job.

It does not have significant sway. And in case you haven't noticed, since we no longer have white flight, Blacks are getting displaced from places like Harlem and Bedstuy. What are the stances of the churches on this? They do absolutely nothing, and won't do anything at all. The church is USELESS. There, I said it.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
^ i wouldn't want to end up like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City