Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 PM

850 posts, read 796,022 times

Advertisements

I visited NY the last couple of days and considering moving there. Manhattan rents are insane, so does anyone here live in Brooklyn and really like it? Is it cheaper and more livable? how does it compare? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
You need to do a little more research before you ask such a question. Brooklyn is HUGE. Of course people live in Brooklyn on here. It can be cheaper and can be more expensive and some area are live able and some not. I suggest you look up Brooklyn and do research on all the neighborhoods.
Also note what some can afford some can not, what some consider cheap some consider expensive so I suggest throwing numbers around that fit your budget cause by saying cheaper we don'y know if that mean $500 or $5000!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 AM

393 posts, read 782,682 times
I think a lot of people who post here about the possibility of living in Brooklyn as an alternative to Manhattan think it must automatically be cheaper because it isn't Manhattan, and that's just not the case...at least not anymore. The type of neighborhoods that people who like Manhattan want to live in are in most cases actually more expensive than many neighborhoods in Manhattan. You won't find a cheaper place unless you look deep into Brooklyn.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM

545 posts, read 908,420 times
Desirable neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are an easy commute to Manhattan have insanely high rents, higher than the city in some instances. A recent article in the Times I think, stated how some renters are being priced out of the gentrified, hot spots of Brooklyn and moving to Manhattan. There are some decent prices in the city if one doesn't require a doorman or much space. I saw a 400 sq ft studio in Midtown West for only $1450.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:59 PM

850 posts, read 796,022 times
Where does one find rent control places?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 PM

338 posts, read 676,882 times
I think you mean rent-stabilized--rent-controlled apartments are extremely rare and usually handed down in wills. For rent-stabilized apartments you have to find the place yourself (do not use brokers, they will steer you away from lower-priced apartments--brokers are scum in any case). If you find an apartment that seems to be lower-priced, ask the landlord if it's rent-stabilized. But you have to find it yourself (via Craigslist, word of mouth, etc.).

Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
I saw a 400 sq ft studio in Midtown West for only $1450.
In person or in online ad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
I think you mean rent-stabilized--rent-controlled apartments are extremely rare and usually handed down in wills. For rent-stabilized apartments you have to find the place yourself (do not use brokers, they will steer you away from lower-priced apartments--brokers are scum in any case). If you find an apartment that seems to be lower-priced, ask the landlord if it's rent-stabilized. But you have to find it yourself (via Craigslist, word of mouth, etc.).
Totally not true at all ive rented 4 rent stabilize places in the span of 2 months and have no reason to steer people away. In fact im showing one tomorrow in the east 80/s 3ave, 1br for $1272. Also we (brokers) get more info on rent stabilize than you will find on your own. Not every broker is scum and some of us actually do work to make people find the perfect place.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:40 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
Rent control apts. are very rare but are not handed down in wills. Only an immediate member (or an immediate descendent) who was living at least 2 years with the person who was lease at the time of their death is eligible to continue with rent control.

Rent stabilized apts. can be found but one has to look harder sometimes.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I loved Park Slope Brooklyn when I lived there years ago. There are a dozen other Brooklyn neighborhoods that are very livable as well. I'd say Brooklyn restaurants have greatly surpassed Manhattan in every category except very fine dining. It's all become a little too much though, and I feel like "Brooklyn" as a "brand" is being shoved down my throat a little.

I guess I'll just have to wait for Chelsea to gentrify and get some of those Brooklyn style businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City