Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Riverdale is a schlep without a car for most daily activities. The transportation is fine for going to/from Manhattan, but around the neighborhood it is lacking. Add to that the topography of steep hills and stairs, and it can be arduous for one who does not drive to deal with daily life in the neighborhood. Riverdale lacks a comprehensive shopping district, as the areas around Skyview and Johnson & W235th can meet basic needs with one grocery and a few restaurants, not all of which are even decent, such that one would want options to be able to get to Kingsbridge for a larger grocery store, Manhattan, and Westchester, with the easy means with which to transport said purchases.

Given the OP's request for a neighborhood without a car due to visual acuity issues, there are better areas to consider that meet the requirement of a middle-class area with comprehensive shops and services.
Well Riverdale is a bedroom community so none of this should come as a shock. It's a neighborhood for those who enjoy Manhattan life but want to come home to a nice quiet suburban lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Well Riverdale is a bedroom community so none of this should come as a shock. It's a neighborhood for those who enjoy Manhattan life but want to come home to a nice quiet suburban lifestyle.
Bronxville is a bedroom community, as is Larchmont, both about the same time as Riverdale from Grand Central. Riverdale is a Bronx neighborhood with some semi-suburban spaces, but a large number of middle-class co-ops and a much higher population density than a suburban bedroom community. Given the density, one would expect better options, similar to the UWS, which is also largely a residential enclave, albeit with more conveniences.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
NYC has 227 cars per 1000 people and 289 cars per 1000 people over 18.
...which still doesn't tell me how many people have access to a car. (i.e. They're part of a car-owning household)

Quote:
Riverdale, NY has nothing in common with Yonkers. Maybe you're getting confused with Riverdale, NJ?? We're an upper middle class neighborhood for starters located right above Manhattan. Most of Yonkers aside from the areas further north are relatively poor and run down. I don't know what exactly "ideal" is supposed to mean, but we're just 25 - 30 minutes from Manhattan using Metro North. The express buses (three of them) also provide a fast commute from what others have mentioned here and there are city buses as well. How much transportation do you need for it to be "ideal"?

If by "ideal" you mean a subway, well apparently for all of its "convenience" many people that have posted here seem to have gripes with the subway.
Riverdale, NJ is even less like Yonkers than the Riverdale neighborhood in The Bronx. It's a small, suburban town.

And most of Yonkers isn't relatively poor and run-down either. It's only the southwestern section that fits that description. (And don't sit there telling me that you excluded the northern section, because less than half of the southern section fits that description, and less than half isn't "most")

And it's 25-30 minutes once you get on the train to reach Grand Central. The only way you're getting a 25-30 minute commute to Manhattan by Metro-North is if you're going to Marble Hill.

Remember the old Chinese proverb: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Old 07-05-2013, 04:21 PM

^^For someone located on "Planet Earth" (wherever that is), you have a lot to say about the subject. Makes you wonder.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 PM

249 posts, read 424,778 times
I was amazed at how different Marble Hill felt compared to Spuyten Duyvil, and Riverdale. Last year I went up there for the first time ever, and Marble Hill feels "Bronx-ish" despite technically being part of Manhattan. Then you go over a pedestrian path (near or on 230th Street, I think), and it's like you're in a different world. A suburban world. Going further north makes it even more suburban. If I moved up there I'd definitely want to be south of 230th, whether that's in Marble Hill or over the river in Inwood.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
I was amazed at how different Marble Hill felt compared to Spuyten Duyvil, and Riverdale. Last year I went up there for the first time ever, and Marble Hill feels "Bronx-ish" despite technically being part of Manhattan. Then you go over a pedestrian path (near or on 230th Street, I think), and it's like you're in a different world. A suburban world. Going further north makes it even more suburban. If I moved up there I'd definitely want to be south of 230th, whether that's in Marble Hill or over the river in Inwood.
Yep... A whole different suburban world is right.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
^^For someone located on "Planet Earth" (wherever that is), you have a lot to say about the subject. Makes you wonder.
Stop trolling. You know full well I live in NYC, as does anybody else who frequents the NYC forum with any regularity.

Unlike some people, I don't go around posting the exact blocks where I live.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
...which still doesn't tell me how many people have access to a car. (i.e. They're part of a car-owning household)
The census counts car ownership by household. I can't figure out how to separate car ownership per household size.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,576 times
While it's true in NYC (or any city with public transit) you don't need a car, depending on where you live it can still be much, much more convenient. There are many areas in the city that are inaccessible by subway--most of Queens east of Van Wyck, the southeast part of Brooklyn, pretty much all of Staten Island. You could get by riding the bus everywhere, but it would take a LONG time and be a pain to travel with a whole family that way.

I have a car--I don't usually need it but it is extremely nice to have when I do. I mainly just have it because I love driving out of the city and doing autocross events.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Stop trolling. You know full well I live in NYC, as does anybody else who frequents the NYC forum with any regularity.

Unlike some people, I don't go around posting the exact blocks where I live.
Aside from stating the neighborhood that I live in, I haven't posted any other information here, so I haven't a clue of what you're talking about. Maybe you're referring to my name Grosvenor? Yes, it is a street here in Riverdale and also a square in England which I am fond of.

I think you have me confused with someone else but whoever it is, I suggest you take your quarrels up with them because I am not interested in any of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The census counts car ownership by household. I can't figure out how to separate car ownership per household size.
I don't think that's at all possible. I mean one household may have 3 cars. Some families share cars and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City