Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 5,371 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Looking for guidance/ advice on getting an apartment in NYC when you are on the Tenant Blacklist that is culled from Housing Court records. I had NO IDEA I was on this list.

I am not on the list for not paying rent, taking landlord to court etc. I am apparently on the list because six years ago my tiny building was sold and all 7 of us tenants were asked to leave so that the new landlord could take over the building for personal use. We were told to get lawyers to negotiate terms, we all did, we were all out of the building on the same day. New owner got what he wanted. Cut to six years later, I am denied an apartment because my name and this address is on housing court records. I am waiting for my copy of report to see specifics, but that is all I know at this time. I also contacted my lawyer from six years ago to see if he can help find out what I can do.

I have excellent credit-- high 700s, have been in my current job with a very big stable company for the past 10 years, etc. I was not expecting this in any way. I have been furiously researching 'tenant blacklist' for the past couple of days -- since I was denied the apartment I applied to, to learn as much as possible. it is quite discouraging-- I am pretty devastated about it.

What I am asking -- does anyone have personal experience with this? How did you find an apartment? Any info, insight, advice appreciated.

Thank you all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 10:13 AM

298 posts, read 706,731 times
If you have good credit and a stable job you will find something. Almost everybody has an issue getting approved in Manhattan.

You should look for either a small landlord or an apartment that is undesirable for some reason that you can deal with like noise.

Bottom line is that there will be people without their name on the blacklist applying for any apartment that's a good deal, so why should they make an exception for you?

I'm sure a lot of the folks in Rikers would tell you they are there because of a big misunderstanding.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:15 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie12 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Looking for guidance/ advice on getting an apartment in NYC when you are on the Tenant Blacklist that is culled from Housing Court records. I had NO IDEA I was on this list.

I am not on the list for not paying rent, taking landlord to court etc. I am apparently on the list because six years ago my tiny building was sold and all 7 of us tenants were asked to leave so that the new landlord could take over the building for personal use. We were told to get lawyers to negotiate terms, we all did, we were all out of the building on the same day. New owner got what he wanted. Cut to six years later, I am denied an apartment because my name and this address is on housing court records. I am waiting for my copy of report to see specifics, but that is all I know at this time. I also contacted my lawyer from six years ago to see if he can help find out what I can do.

I have excellent credit-- high 700s, have been in my current job with a very big stable company for the past 10 years, etc. I was not expecting this in any way. I have been furiously researching 'tenant blacklist' for the past couple of days -- since I was denied the apartment I applied to, to learn as much as possible. it is quite discouraging-- I am pretty devastated about it.

What I am asking -- does anyone have personal experience with this? How did you find an apartment? Any info, insight, advice appreciated.

Thank you all!!!
Am curious as to why you had to get a lawyer. If your lease was up and you left on time there would be no need for a lawyer.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Am curious as to why you had to get a lawyer. If your lease was up and you left on time there would be no need for a lawyer.
Obviously she was trying to negotiate repayment for all the equity she had built up renting.

Why would someone NOT want to rent to a tenant that hires a lawyer to demand compensation when moving out.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:04 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I'm confused. I'm not sure the act of consulting a lawyer to negotiate "terms" would automatically give you a housing court record. If terms were negotiated between the LL and the lawyer's tenant and all went smoothly and pleasantly and tenant was out on the "same day" (same day of what, I wonder), why would there be a record of this in housing court? If OP could tell us why the landlord brought her to landlord court in the first place, maybe that would help.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Sue your past landlord for $1 Million.
Let him explain why you were blacklisted.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Hi Everyone,
I will try to go into as much detail as I can -- a confidentiality clause was signed so you will need to read between the lines. Small building sold, all tenants asked to leave before their rent stabilized lease were up as new owner wanted building for personal use. because of this scenario, the new owner had to negotiate terms with us and we had to get lawyers. Never went to court, it was not contentious, all of us were out by the date -- selected by new owner. This past Friday I requested a copy of the report so that I can see why I am on this list, so I do not know yet why exactly. I just know it is connected with this address. no undesirable behavior on my part. I was one of 7 tenants residing in a building that was sold and told to leave the building.

I would like to hear from people who have had this experience and what they have been able to do to get an apartment. I am actually going to reach out to the lawyer of the then 'new owner' to see if they can write a letter explaining the terms of the situation. from what I've read it might help -- and seeing that this was not a contentious situation is should be possible.
Thank you.

Again, would love to hear from people who have been in this situation.

Thank you

Old 10-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Henna, I am confused, upset and bewildered. This happened 6 years ago and I am just now moving apartments and I found out about this record. Again, I should receive a copy of this report this coming week-- I hope. We all got lawyers, as requested by the new owner.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Above Aberage Bear- My lease was not up. Also, this was not a situation, scenario that was initiated by any of the tenants.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie12 View Post
Above Aberage Bear- My lease was not up. Also, this was not a situation, scenario that was initiated by any of the tenants.
Nope, but you took a settlement to leave a place you RENTED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: