U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 AM

249 posts, read 408,920 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move back to NYC in the next 4-5 years. She's from Kyoto (Japan's former capital; it could be NYC's sister city given the similar layout), and while we like it here just fine, we want to raise our child in America and then give him the choice on where to go from there.

(A lot of people are jumping ship, or planning to -- the Japanese government is devoting all its resources to the elderly and the rich and really sticking it to younger working folks. Sounds a bit like the US? )

Now here's one thing that makes most of America unlivable for us: we both have impaired vision (that's how we met each other) and neither of us will ever be able to drive a car. There are plenty of places where you can still get by without a car, but because most people have cars, everything is built around automobiles. The last thing we want is to be socially ostracized when our child's friends' parents casually ask us to go pick someone up at school, or whatever. We want to replicate what we've got now, which is a neighborhood where everything is within walking distance, almost no one uses a car on a daily basis, and

That means living somewhere really central. I make a good income by Japanese standards, but NYC is another world. Above 110th Street or in the outer boroughs are where we're looking. But the further out you get, the more cars you see. Anyone have any data (it's city-data.com, after all) on lowest rates of car ownership? And I mean non-poverty-related non-car-ownership, if that make sense.

We don't need a lot of space -- we have 380 square feet now, and plenty of people in our building are raising multiple kids in that space! -- so a one-bedroom apartment with partitions is just fine. What are Washington Heights and Inwood like? We had been looking at Brooklyn, but the built-up areas are just too expensive. Any other car-free folks out there with neighborhoods that they'd like to share?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 AM

3,721 posts, read 5,054,539 times
You dont need a car anywhere in NYC, subway system and buses are really good and all streets are walkable. You can live in Manhattan, Brookyln, Queens etc and you will be 100% fine without a car
NYC if different to most American cities when it comes to public transportation.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,103,489 times
Many areas in NYC (five boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, State Island, Queens) are friendly to live without cars but some areas are much easier to live without cars. Other areas not so much. Mainly because buses aren't great as subway, some subway lines aren't convinent as others, and depending on what part of town you live...you may need to have a car. So you cannot lump everything into you can live without car in NYC. Only except would be Manhattan. For example, State Island is not mass transportation friendly. Except for commute to work in NYC, you need to have a car.

You need to keep something in mind that public education in NYC sucks. Not somewhere you want your kids to go to school at unless private or charter which are either expensive or hard to get into.

Lastly. Read the sticky post and start a thread with more info. Like budget you have, what you are exactly looking for. Otherwise people can't really give you suggestions to help you.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM

249 posts, read 408,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Many areas in NYC (five boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, State Island, Queens) are friendly to live without cars but some areas are much easier to live without cars. Other areas not so much. Mainly because buses aren't great as subway, some subway lines aren't convinent as others, and depending on what part of town you live...you may need to have a car. So you cannot lump everything into you can live without car in NYC. Only except would be Manhattan. For example, State Island is not mass transportation friendly. Except for commute to work in NYC, you need to have a car.
Thanks; this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I lived in Brooklyn (as you might guess from my handle here) until my parents moved to the Long Island suburbs. Finding part-time jobs in high school, and really doing anything socially, became almost impossible. Even out in easternmost Queens there are driveways in front of every house -- not something we want. Even if the commute is doable, if going to the supermarket requires a car, and half your friends have cars, it really makes you feel like you don't belong.

And this will go double for the Mrs., who will be moving to what is for her a foreign country!

(Patrix542, I think that in the outer boroughs, while you can get by without a car, not many people do.)

Quote:
You need to keep something in mind that public education in NYC sucks. Not somewhere you want your kids to go to school at unless private or charter which are either expensive or hard to get into.
Private is out of the question; I hear it's up to $40k now! I shudder to think of how much it will cost five to ten years from now when our kid is ready. We're going to want to live somewhere where the public schools are decent.

Quote:
Lastly. Read the sticky post and start a thread with more info. Like budget you have, what you are exactly looking for. Otherwise people can't really give you suggestions to help you.
I'll do just that; thanks! I made this post just to talk about the tribulations of being car-less and what non-rich folks do about that. Let me make another one where I can talk about our situation in more detail.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,141,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
You dont need a car anywhere in NYC, subway system and buses are really good and all streets are walkable. You can live in Manhattan, Brookyln, Queens etc and you will be 100% fine without a car
NYC if different to most American cities when it comes to public transportation.

Transplant?
What planet do you live on?

Families in NYC definitely need cars unless they live in Manhattan and are OK with overpaying for virtually everything (the biggest being food expenses).

Does NYC have a dearth of cars parked on its streets?It's full of them and there's a reason.

Families without cars will be miserable in NYC. Having a car doesn't mean you have to use it all of the time but it comes in handy on many occasions.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,505,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Transplant?
What planet do you live on?

Families in NYC definitely need cars unless they live in Manhattan and are OK with overpaying for virtually everything (the biggest being food expenses).

Does NYC have a dearth of cars parked on its streets?It's full of them and there's a reason.

Families without cars will be miserable in NYC. Having a car doesn't mean you have to use it all of the time but it comes in handy on many occasions.
If there's anywhere in America where a family doesn't need a car, it's NYC. So you are basically saying that two visually impaired people cannot raise a family anywhere in America. That is a pretty bold statement.

55% of NYC households do not have a car. No doubt some of those households include children. I doubt they're all miserable.

To the OP, there are many threads here on Washington Heights in Inwood that will tell you where the best parts of those neighborhoods are and what they're like. I think they're good places to look and you can certainly get by without a car.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
If there's anywhere in America where a family doesn't need a car, it's NYC. So you are basically saying that two visually impaired people cannot raise a family anywhere in America. That is a pretty bold statement.

55% of NYC households do not have a car. No doubt some of those households include children. I doubt they're all miserable.

To the OP, there are many threads here on Washington Heights in Inwood that will tell you where the best parts of those neighborhoods are and what they're like. I think they're good places to look and you can certainly get by without a car.

Most of those households are childless or immigrant families who cannot afford a car.

If you have a family, you need a car. Even in NYC. This isn't debatable. You're providing ****-poor advice.
The other option would be renting a car (e.g. zipcar) or taxi/car service.

A family needs a car if they can afford one. I cannot stress this enough.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM

3,721 posts, read 5,054,539 times
Quote:
Most of those households are childless or immigrant families who cannot afford a car.

If you have a family, you need a car. Even in NYC. This isn't debatable. You're providing ****-poor advice.

WTF you sound very ignorant. what planet do YOU live on? You can get by without a car in NYC period. You can live pretty much anywhere in brooklyn and manhattan without a car and most of Queens, if you have a family you dont need a car thats a ridicilous statement and i dont know if you are aware but MOST New Yorkers dont own a car.

so im not the one providing **** advice, you are. Or maybe you are some rich douchebag that thinks using public transport is not for them and only "poor" people use it

Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
WTF you sound very ignorant. what planet do YOU live on? You can get by without a car in NYC period. You can live pretty much anywhere in brooklyn and manhattan without a car and most of Queens, if you have a family you dont need a car thats a ridicilous statement and i dont know if you are aware but MOST New Yorkers dont own a car.

so im not the one providing **** advice, you are. Or maybe you are some rich douchebag that thinks using public transport is not for them and only "poor" people use it
Nonsense and I'm far from rich.

I can disprove your point simply by pointing to all of the cars in NYC. In fact, NYC's car ownership rate is on the rise the past few years.

Most NYC'ers who don't have a car are either childless ( in which case you really don't need a car) or are too poor to afford one (recent immigrants, senior citizens only on SS, etc.).

There are very, very few families who can afford a car who don't have one. If you have a family and can afford a car, it is more than worth it.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,505,434 times
Quote:

You're missing the point of the original post, though. It's not a question of whether they should or should not get a car. They CANNOT drive, because they are both visually impaired. That will be true no matter where they live. The question is, can two people who can't drive raise a family in NYC? The answer is yes. Would it be easier to have a car? Of course. But that is not an option for this particular couple.

Where do you suggest they live, if not NYC? It is probably the city where you least need a car in the whole Western hemisphere. Again, you seem to be saying that this couple cannot raise a family anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City