Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times

Advertisements

I find it funny how people ***** and moan about "transplants" coming in and making things expensive. Chains do the same thing to ma and pa shops. Its life things change, like it or not. I don't love either but we are living in the 60s and 70s anymore. Just like not many use a house phone since cell phones are the norm, and nooks are replacing book you roll with what comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
You just pay your way and be quiet huh?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I find it funny how people ***** and moan about "transplants" coming in and making things expensive. Chains do the same thing to ma and pa shops. Its life things change, like it or not. I don't love either but we are living in the 60s and 70s anymore. Just like not many use a house phone since cell phones are the norm, and nooks are replacing book you roll with what comes.
A combination of the internet, Ipods, and smartphones killed of music stores and the cd business. So you're right, the society just evolves. Often chains are nicer looking than ma and pa shops, so people will often go to a chain. That and you often have more variety and better prices as well.

But remember, cds put the old tapes out of business. The music cassettes put the old records out of business. Things always change.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Ahhh... 8th Street.....
I lived 3 minutes from there for about 15 years [up til 2 years ago].
The very first time I was on a train by myself was the 6 train from Pelham straight to Astor.
I couldn't wait to get to 8 Street.
I thought I was so cool.
Then as a teenager I used to go to a record store there called "Revolver Records" and buy all sorts of bootleg live concerts on CASSETTE.
In the 90s we used to meet at Papaya [6ave/8st] on Halloween before the parade and get all 'ready' for the weed rally in the park.

On 9/11 the block was packed with people walking east thinking the 6 train was still running.
Wall -to- wall people on the block...crazy.

The rents on that block went through the roof. I know a guy that had an apt on that block and was paying like 600$ for a 2 bedroom. His landlord bought him out and they split the apt in 2 and now collect 2 rents @ 2100$ e a c h.
I think it's over and done with there.
Once the hippies left--the culture faded.
The only thing left is Electric Lady Studios.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
The only thing left is Electric Lady Studios.
Papaya is still there but dogs are now $1.95 . Too many memories there..

Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
The street became a one industry bazaar: SHOES.
One shoe store after another and then they all closed at once.
(I buy one pair a YEAR...how many stores do I need?)

We'd walk the couple blocks and laugh at the shoe stores, now we comment at the empty storefronts.

Back in the 60's when they were all head shops, they were far more interesting. It certainly has become a dull stretch.

Quote:
The very first time I was on a train by myself was the 6 train from Pelham straight to Astor.
I couldn't wait to get to 8 Street.
Me, too. I'd drive in from Pennsy at 16 and stay with a friend in a dump on the UES or in some fleabag hotel for $10 and first thing, jump on the #6 train to Astor Place and go exploring (armed with my fake ID showing I was 18<remember drinking age at 18> although nobody ever asked for it.) It was a wall of drunk and stoned young people half straight, half gay, no cars, from Second Avenue to the Hudson River.
And the immense sea of people extended from Bleeker North to Eighth St.

(Kids today could never imagine it.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-03-2013 at 09:39 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The street became a one industry bazaar: SHOES.
One shoe store after another and then they all closed at once.
(I buy one pair a YEAR...how many stores do I need?)

We'd walk the couple blocks and laugh at the shoe stores, now we comment at the empty storefornts.
whats wrong with the shoe bazzar?

Should we close down all of diamond district becase its an avenue plus of all bling? Same idea of how much bling does one need?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM

I guess WE as a society have decided that we need lots of diamonds more than we need lots of shoes.
They sell diamonds and stay open...they DON'T sell shoes and close up shop.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM

i certaintly need more shoes than diamonds. i blame the internet & cost of rents in nyc for the demise of certain retailer stores.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Trouble with Eighth Street and shoes is that while one or two of them could make a go of it, by the time they hit 19, they were all doomed to failure.
What kind of dimwitted morons WERE they.

Quote:

i certaintly need more shoes than diamonds.
On a per dollar basis, perhaps not:
Quote:
The average cost of a jewelry store diamond engagement ring is between $3,500 and $4,000.
Quote:
High quality 1 carat diamond, $4,000 or more, set in 18 carat gold or platinum
That's a LOT of shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City