Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Stop and Frisk act?
Yes 48 48.00%
No 52 52.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,821,037 times

Advertisements

Yes. Cops target high crime areas. Places where violent crimes have historically happened and are likely to happen again. Are they to blame for the make-up / demographs of these communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM

916 posts, read 2,239,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I say stop it. Unless, the enitre nation allows this to go on, then there is no room for it here in NYC. As an Asian, I have been stop and frisked numerous times for no reason at all, just because cops were fishing for anything to pin on me. How mnay Asians commit crimes? What are the stats? End of story, keep it moving.

What do you mean no reason..... you are Indian-Asian, if Hispanics are dark enough to be stop and
frisked, Indians are dark enough to be stop and frisked.

Like I said in the past before, I support the stop and frisk practice, but not the way it's currently
implemented by the NYPD. There is too big of a loophole for some of bad cops to abuse the stop
and frisk policy as a license to harass law abiding citizens freely without any consequence. NYPD
should re-define in what situation the stop and frisk can be performed, and Stricter rules should be
applied. It's degrading and humiliating to be treated like a criminal when you have done nothing wrong.

I disagree with those who think the practice should be dismantle all together because it's ineffective.
Yes, the the rate of finding weapons is not very high, but the most important impact of stop and frisk
is deterrence. Criminals will less likely carry weapons with them because of fear of being stopped. It's
more of a crime prevention tactic than just looking at how many weapons or arrests were make.

I used to see a lot of stop and frisk done by the cops on drug dealers who hang out on the street
corners 24/7 in my old neighborhood. The cops probably didn't find any drugs or weapons on them
every time, but it doesn't mean those guys are innocent. If one drug dealer got S&F 10 times in a
week, but maybe finding drugs or weapons on them only once, and then you read the crime report
and can interpreting it as 90% of the people stop and frisked were innocent.

To be honest, I'm always kind of ambivalent about the stop and frisk practice. I totally understand
why innocent people are so frustrated and upset with the current Stop and frisk practice, but dismantle
it all together is not the right answer. but it definitely needs some modification on how it should be
implemented to better serve all people.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,890,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post

I disagree with those who think the practice should be dismantle all together because it's ineffective.
Yes, the the rate of finding weapons is not very high, but the most important impact of stop and frisk
is deterrence. Criminals will less likely carry weapons with them because of fear of being stopped. It's
more of a crime prevention tactic than just looking at how many weapons or arrests were make.

I used to see a lot of stop and frisk done by the cops on drug dealers who hang out on the street
corners 24/7 in my old neighborhood. The cops probably didn't find any drugs or weapons on them
every time, but it doesn't mean those guys are innocent. If one drug dealer got S&F 10 times in a
week, but maybe finding drugs or weapons on them only once, and then you read the crime report
and can interpreting it as 90% of the people stop and frisked were innocent.

To be honest, I'm always kind of ambivalent about the stop and frisk practice. I totally understand
why innocent people are so frustrated and upset with the current Stop and frisk practice, but dismantle
it all together is not the right answer. but it definitely needs some modification on how it should be
implemented to better serve all people.
This is my observation - in my neighborhood - also.
I agree.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,360,878 times
hail to the naw. do you? when they start stopping
and frisking everybody, let me know.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 PM

235 posts, read 372,729 times
I support this.

I am a minority myself (Half Puerto Rican/Ecuadorian AND brownish not White) but I live in Midtown and I don't get bothered by the cops. I have been stop like once on the subway in midtown to check my bag. But I do have these cousins that live in the Bronx, which I don't really talk to or hang out with, but I know some of them have issues with crime and gangs. My aunt tells me that they have been stopped many times. Well, they live in a high crime area, and if you think about it, they probably have been saved unintentionally when the cops find a gun that may be use to shoot one of my cousins or his gang friends. And maybe they took guns already (or one day) from my cousins and his friends. I sort of believe that they may be carrying weapons too. Well they are in Gangs. Now, if you live in this neighborhood and you get stopped, well that is an inconvenience but you should cooperate and know for a fact that you are in a dangerous high crime neighborhood and this is what it takes to keep people safe.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,242,724 times
I wonder how many people on this board against stop and frisk are black and latino and white as well living in the hood, influenced by the hood culture? Hmmmmm.....

Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I wonder how many people on this board against stop and frisk are black and latino and white as well living in the hood, influenced by the hood culture? Hmmmmm.....
im hella white, kinda influenced by the hood, and i like minorities, but i look at the big picture and still say yea, like i said tho they need to reevaluate it

Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,668,966 times
If they stopped and frisked based on suspicious behavior and not race, and if they arrested all criminals, not just those of a particular skin color and in a particular neighborhood, I think we would see crime statistics change by an amazing degree.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,789,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Support it 100%. Yes you have some bad apple cops that give the rest a bad name but that shouldn't stop the stop & frisk program. The people against it say it targets minorities but if it's minorities doing the bulk of the crimes, who else do you expect the cops to search? The cops go where the crimes are.

Look at all the black on black shootings, it's out of control. You are likely to find a gun on a black man than on a white man in NYC. So they want to call stopping a black man discrimination yet the numbers back up the likelihood of finding a gun on a black man. Here's a thought...if you ain't do nothing and you got nothing on you, you got nothing to worry about.

If you stopped by a cop, let them do their thing, let them search you in confidence know you ain't got nothing on you, once they're done, thank them for doing their job and politely ask them what tiggered them to stop you. End of story, keep it moving.
I haven't read all the comments but while I hear what you're saying what you don't realize is that when these black or hispanic males are stopped, these altercations immediately go on their record... People don't understand the seriousness of getting stopped and frisked... For example, let's say a cop stops a kid for looking "suspicious" ... Even if that kid is deemed to be okay the fact that he was written up shows up on the file and from that moment on, the kid has a record... I've seen this happen to countless students of mine who are ignorant to this process and when they are filling out applications for jobs that ask whether you've been arrested or have a criminal record and the kids put "No", their record shows otherwise and they lose the chance of getting that job...

The process while beneficial to these high crime communities has definitely done those innocent kids (which the stats can vouch for are by far the majority as opposed to the minority) a disservice... And it is something they have to live with for the rest of their lives... Even with a sealed record, just the notion that you were attached to anything resembling a criminal act immediately pushes people away...

Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,242,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I haven't read all the comments but while I hear what you're saying what you don't realize is that when these black or hispanic males are stopped, these altercations immediately go on their record... People don't understand the seriousness of getting stopped and frisked... For example, let's say a cop stops a kid for looking "suspicious" ... Even if that kid is deemed to be okay the fact that he was written up shows up on the file and from that moment on t recor.. I've seen this happen to countless students of mine who are ignorant to this process and when they are filling out applications for jobs that ask whether you've been arrested or have a criminal record and the kids put "No", their record shows otherwise and they lose the chance of getting that job...

The process while beneficial to these high crime communities has definitely done those innocent kids (which the stats can vouch for are by far the majority as opposed to the minority) a disservice... And it is something they have to live with for the rest of their lives... Even with a sealed record, just the notion that you were attached to anything resembling a criminal act immediately pushes people away...
I can agree with you on the whole getting a record thing if you were innocent BUT the advocates against it aren‘t saying reform the getting a record thing, they are saying ban it altogether. Which is BS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City