Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times

Advertisements

^ yep, from twins to singles don't have the same effect.

it's a slight downgrade on how it used to be, even tho
the buildings will be brand new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 03:41 PM

126 posts, read 152,172 times
I like the way you say the old NYC came crashing down with the towers, very true. Post 9/11/01, the dead skyline depicts Bloomberg era NYC extremely well, people can say what they will about Guiliani but the city still had a middle class then. Today, the majority of New Yorkers are not actually NYers(not that I am saying that is a bad thing, but the city has lost its soul). I 'm 44 and still miss the old skyline and I can agree with others, what was the point of building one lonely skyscraper? I remember the talk of "four towers". It's a modern looking building but it is honestly not extraordinary, I see nothing special about it other than its height. The twin towers were known throughout the world, they made our skyline.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I remember driving over the GW when I went to visit family(I was born in 1980 in The Bronx and grew up in Rockland county NY), the towers always appealed to me but it was all I knew. I never thought that one day I would not see them perfecting the skyline.

That one large tower we call the freedom tower is rather dull, it does nothing for the skyline and it will never be the same. This is just my opinion.

- Joe
I used to take the A train from 175th to World Trade, worked down there; got off the train, went to Mrs Fields for my 'breakfast' and used to love looking up as I walked to work. I thought they looked cool.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:13 AM

255 posts, read 475,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Yeah, they should have built two matching towers. They could have changed the design up a little, although I liked the originals just fine, but we had two towers and now we have one.
TECHNICALLY speaking, we'd have 6. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 WTC. And had it not been for money problems, the main 4 towers would have been going up at the same time. You guys talk as if 2, 3, and 4 just don't matter. Hell, you guys talk as if 4 isn't opening up his year.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
TECHNICALLY speaking, we'd have 6. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 WTC.
I think you know what he means. You are just trying to start a pointless debate, he obviously means TWO(twin) large towers...

Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
anyone who was a baby or little kid in 2001 don't really
know what it was like when the twins represented ny.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
anyone who was a baby or little kid in 2001 don't really
know what it was like when the twins represented ny.
Agreed

Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM

127 posts, read 183,601 times
As someone who came here a lot before moving because I have family here, yes.

The first time I came back after 9/11, and saw the new skyline, I cried. We were playing the Ramones. It was like a contrast of Old NYC and New NYC. Now, I can go up on the roof of our building and see the new towers go up. It's interesting to say the least.

My brother is a professional photographer, and he took panorama shots of the towers throughout the 1990s, when he was getting started. Would anyone be interested if I posted them sometime?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
As someone who came here a lot before moving because I have family here, yes.

The first time I came back after 9/11, and saw the new skyline, I cried. We were playing the Ramones. It was like a contrast of Old NYC and New NYC. Now, I can go up on the roof of our building and see the new towers go up. It's interesting to say the least.

My brother is a professional photographer, and he took panorama shots of the towers throughout the 1990s, when he was getting started. Would anyone be interested if I posted them sometime?
Sure would, I also have a few pics I would post of my cousin, his motorcycle and some old friends posing in lower Manhattan with the two towers in the distance. If my math is right, we were about 24 - 25 and I believe the pic is from '91 - '92. The funniest part of the picture is the contrast from 20+ years ago public parking garage prices and today in 2013... Amazing to say the least!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Yeah, they should have built two matching towers. They could have changed the design up a little, although I liked the originals just fine, but we had two towers and now we have one.
Actually you guys currently have two (three if you include WTC 7) and two more on the way (three if WTC 5 ever gets built).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City