Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Considering NYC is pedestrian oriented, I would have to disagree. It s a dense, walkable urban environment. Cars are that nusience that began gaining attention in the mid 20th century. Thanks to community activism and self evident realities within a few decades policy changed. Continueing the centuries long tradition of building cities for pedestrians.

And if you haven't noticed, the city is trying to promote bicycle transportation big time. While trying to discourage automobiles.

Most of NYC is very dense and urban. Most people live near subway stations in this city. Not just Manhattan.

So if your driving and a pedestrian, or another automobile is still crossing, you would just hit them/it? How about waiting a second or two. That's called reckless driving BTW. But it's all about you right?

Drivers are the minority in this city. Especially dependent drivers.

Not comfortable for you. Plenty of people ride all seasons. I know I personally prefer riding early Spring, Winter, and late Fall.

Bike share was designed to be utilized by many different kinds of people. It wasn't designed with a narrow demographic in mind.

Right now it seems mostly young, White people will only utilize it. However I have noticed Blacks, Asians, and Seniors on Citi Bikes too. The population biking reflects the demographics of the area. So far it has met widespread positive reception. More so then I noticed in DC or Miami.

And your last little comment. How Citi Bike utilizes public areas. Well isn't Citi Bike public transportation. Unlike those private automobiles that line our streets.
Well lets see. If I see a green light in Manhattan where the chance of someone speeding down the road is minimal, I am going to assume I will be good to go when I see no cars on the road crossing my path. Now here comes the bicyclist running the yellow because he thinks hes invincible and runs into my path because he/she has no idea how traffic rules work. Btw there is no where in the article that states the vehicle accelerated too quickly. At the end of the day it is the fault of the cyclist, stop trying to pass blame to the driver.

Bikeshare wasn't designed to be utilized by different kinds of people because the bike itself is limited to a specific group.

The best part is how you throw off driving as a useless skill when I last checked was much more desirable than the ability to ride a bicycle.

Btw you never responded to my comments regarding how you misinterpret data to try to make your argument look plausible. You use percentages to try and make it look like anyone outside of Manhattan is non existant then throw figures to make citibike useful (hey 1 million people in Manhattan so citibike is useful even though it doesn't cover all of manhattan but you know only a small percentage of people live outside manhattan so they dont matter (even though the figure is still 1 million in both cases).

Citibike is a permanent fixture on the street, a vehicle cannot stay parked in an area 24/7 on any public street. Get your facts straight.

Manhattan is pedestrian oriented, parts of Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island are not walkable.

You advocate for bikes but at the end of the day its only useful for a specific crowd. Especially when most bicyclists don't even know proper traffic rules. They should implement a license/point/fine system for bicycles because even you have admitted here on the forum you don't treat red lights as red lights but instead, yield signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
They should implement a license/point/fine system for bicycles because even you have admitted here on the forum you don't treat red lights as red lights but instead, yield signs.
Man...This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard since Nickelback.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Now here comes the bicyclist running the yellow because he thinks hes invincible and runs into my path because he/she has no idea how traffic rules work.
There is no such thing as "running the yellow".

24 S 1111(b)(1):
Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady circular yellow signal
may enter the intersection; however, said traffic is thereby warned that
the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication
will be exhibited immediately thereafter.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Why would anyone even waste their time promoting these cheesy bikes and Citibank is beyond me. Only transplant and corporate out of towners would waste their time doing this.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There is no such thing as "running the yellow".

24 S 1111(b)(1):
Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady circular yellow signal
may enter the intersection; however, said traffic is thereby warned that
the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication
will be exhibited immediately thereafter.
Ok keep running the yellow on a bicycle see how well that ends for you. Most drivers slow down on yellow if there is enough room. The whole point of a yellow light is to give you time to stop for the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Man...This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard since Nickelback.
How is it ridiculous? Bicycles claim to have their share of the road so therefore they should follow driving rules. Most bicyclists don't seem to listen and run red lights anyways.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Why would anyone even waste their time promoting these cheesy bikes and Citibank is beyond me. Only transplant and corporate out of towners would waste their time doing this.
corporate out of towners are on expense accounts and will continue to cab it everywhere.

The biggest users will be (and are) full time residents who don't want to deal with the bus or subway or need to go to places where it's difficult to get by bus or subway like the far east or west sides

The sponsorship helps subsidize the cost and pay for the service. If you don't like ads & marketing maybe the US isn't for you. I'd suggest you try Holland or France or something, but they have those horrible bikes too

Old 06-08-2013, 03:12 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Ok keep running the yellow on a bicycle see how well that ends for you.
I quoted you chapter and section; I guess you can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I quoted you chapter and section; I guess you can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think.
Did you think when you posted it? Yes it is legal to enter an intersection when there is a yellow but the purpose of a yellow light is to give you time to slow down. Seriously?

Old 06-08-2013, 03:46 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Well lets see. If I see a green light in Manhattan where the chance of someone speeding down the road is minimal, I am going to assume I will be good to go when I see no cars on the road crossing my path. Now here comes the bicyclist running the yellow because he thinks hes invincible and runs into my path because he/she has no idea how traffic rules work. Btw there is no where in the article that states the vehicle accelerated too quickly. At the end of the day it is the fault of the cyclist, stop trying to pass blame to the driver.
So when you cross the street, you look out for cars, but not bikes? IDK about you but I look for any and ALL dangers when I cross the street. Because of this, I have not been hit by a car, bike, jogger, whatever. Believe it or not, autos blow red quite often in this city too.

And if the SUV managed to hit a vehicle that remained in the box after the light changed, then yes he accelerated too quickly. It only takes an extra second or so of waiting.

Quote:
Bikeshare wasn't designed to be utilized by different kinds of people because the bike itself is limited to a specific group.
Bike share was designed to be utilized by any capable adult in proximity to a station.

Quote:
The best part is how you throw off driving as a useless skill when I last checked was much more desirable than the ability to ride a bicycle.
I never once said driving is useless. I said owning a vehicle is inefficient and should be discouraged in high density urban areas.

Quote:
Btw you never responded to my comments regarding how you misinterpret data to try to make your argument look plausible. You use percentages to try and make it look like anyone outside of Manhattan is non existant then throw figures to make citibike useful (hey 1 million people in Manhattan so citibike is useful even though it doesn't cover all of manhattan but you know only a small percentage of people live outside manhattan so they dont matter (even though the figure is still 1 million in both cases).
You told me that Citi Bike effects very few people. I told you that the area covered contains a significant population at all times of day. It's being utilized and is proving very useful.

Quote:
Citibike is a permanent fixture on the street, a vehicle cannot stay parked in an area 24/7 on any public street. Get your facts straight.
For one, you can park a vehicle for as long as you want on a free public space with no regulations.

And CitiBike is public transportation in public space. Automobiles are private transportation in that same space, the average car takes 5 Citi Bike docks. That's 5 bikes multiplied by whoever many people use them. Good trade off.

Quote:
Manhattan is pedestrian oriented, parts of Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island are not walkable.
I don't know what city you live in but virtually this entire city is walkable due to it s density, mixed use construction and wide spread public transportation. 96% of New Yorkers are within walking distance of a park for instance.

Quote:
You advocate for bikes but at the end of the day its only useful for a specific crowd. Especially when most bicyclists don't even know proper traffic rules. They should implement a license/point/fine system for bicycles because even you have admitted here on the forum you don't treat red lights as red lights but instead, yield signs.
I oppose licensing bicycles because we want to maximize usage. The more bikes, the safer our streets. This is due to the fact that automobile traffic becomes accustom to sharing the road. Another major benefit is reduced congestion on subways and buses, along with less cab riders and increased revenue from sales (pedestrian/heavy areas are more lucrative then those traversed by autos).

And yes I do run reds. It's safer for me to do so. The red light/stop sign law in NYC must be adjusted for bicycles in New York City as it has elsewhere. Red lights and stop signs were created for automobile traffic.

European Cities Allowing Bikes to Run Red Lights - WNYC

Quote:
Ok keep running the yellow on a bicycle see how well that ends for you. Most drivers slow down on yellow if there is enough room. The whole point of a yellow light is to give you time to stop for the red.
I ride about as fast as the cars in Manhattan except on the synchronized Avenues, when more clear, drivers speed from light too light only to wait at the red. And you are allowed to travel through yellow. Though I typically slow down unless I am at the intersection and I know I can cross in time.

Quote:
How is it ridiculous? Bicycles claim to have their share of the road so therefore they should follow driving rules. Most bicyclists don't seem to listen and run red lights anyways.
Why is it so difficult for you (and some others) to understand that a bicycle is not an automobile? There are huge differences in max acceleration, max speed, weight, stopping, visibility and the fact that a bicycle is human propelled. Not the same and should not be treated as such.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 06-08-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
So when you cross the street, you look out for cars, but not bikes? IDK about you but I look for any and ALL dangers when I cross the street. Because of this, I have not been hit by a car, bike, jogger, whatever. Believe it or not, autos blow red quite often in this city too.

And if the SUV managed to hit a vehicle that remained in the box after the light changed, then yes he accelerated too quickly. It only takes an extra second or so of waiting.

Bike share was designed to be utilized by any capable adult in proximity to a station.

I never once said driving is useless. I said owning a vehicle is inefficient and should be discouraged in high density urban areas.

You told me that Citi Bike effects very few people. I told you that the area covered contains a significant population at all times of day. It's being utilized and is proving very useful.

For one, you can park a vehicle for as long as you want on a free public space with no regulations.

And CitiBike is public transportation in public space. Automobiles are private transportation in that same space, the average car takes 5 Citi Bike docks. That's 5 bikes multiplied by whoever many people use them. Good trade off.

I don't know what city you live in but virtually this entire city is walkable due to it s density, mixed use construction and wide spread public transportation. 96% of New Yorkers are within walking distance of a park for instance.

I oppose licensing bicycles because we want to maximize usage. The more bikes, the safer our streets. This is due to the fact that automobile traffic becomes accustom to sharing the road. Another major benefit is reduced congestion on subways and buses, along with less cab riders and increased revenue from sales (pedestrian/heavy areas are more lucrative then those traversed by autos).

And yes I do run reds. It's safer for me to do so. The red light/stop sign law in NYC must be adjusted for bicycles in New York City as it has elsewhere. Red lights and stop signs were created for automobile traffic.

European Cities Allowing Bikes to Run Red Lights - WNYC

I ride about as fast as the cars in Manhattan except on the synchronized Avenues, when more clear, drivers speed from light too light only to wait at the red. And you are allowed to travel through yellow. Though I typically slow down unless I am at the intersection and I know I can cross in time.

Why is it so difficult for you (and some others) to understand that a bicycle is not an automobile? There are huge differences in max acceleration, max speed, weight, stopping, visibility and the fact that a bicycle is human propelled. Not the same and should not be treated as such.
Wrong. Any vehicle parked in a "free space" for over 7 days will be subject to tickets/towing.

Bicycles want to share the road and therefore should follow the same rules as other vehicles.

Red lights and stop signs were created for all vehicles on the road to protect pedestrians/other vehicles.

When you keep breaking traffic laws its hard to take you seriously regardless if you think bicycles are safer (which I don't agree with).

Also a light doesn't turn green right away after a light turns red on the other side. The bicyclist ran the yellow very late in order for the car to be moving with a green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City