Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:52 PM

111 posts, read 239,499 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am from Orlando Florida and I am going to attend Baruch College and possibly Columbia University in the fall of 2014. I will have about 2 years of serving experience in fine dining and I was planning on taking the experience with me to New York. So I have several questions.

1) What is the process of moving up there and getting a job? What should I do first, get a job or find an apartment?

2) How much money should I save up?

3) Could I find a place first so I don't have to crash with anyone? Like do it over the phone or internet with a trusted but cheap real estate program?

4) Where should I move to? I was thinking Astoria. I want to be able to get to my school in about a half hour or less and its on the corner of Lexington and 25th via Metro.

5) What is it like serving in NYC? Where should I look for a job? Where should I avoid? Where should I aim at?

Thank you! I have a lot of questions that I may not be able to think so I'll keep updating. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times
Please note tere are many threads already pn City Data which address on "how to move " here. How mich you save up depends on ,any variables and what your comfortable with.

Not to be rude but your asking very generic questions that seem very simple and not exclusive to moving to Nyc but to anywhere .

Being a waiter..can be a VERY lucrative position IF you could find one. They are many positions . try to look at restaurants in "trendy" areas and places that people like.

Usually "good" money making places are not hiring because there is little turnover because the employees like the place cuz they make lot of money.

Try to find a place anywhere below 23st. or williamsburg,greenpoint' dumbo

Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
I agree with Pop. Are you attending both Baruch and Columbia at the same time? Why not dorm in the housing of Baruch or Columbia?

Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Without New York experience, it will be challenging to land a decent waiter position. The lower jobs usually go to immigrants.
Bring a CV to the "calls."

If you happen to move in or near Harlem, there is turnover in the restaurants, perhaps because people do not work out. Except for two or three places, the tips may not be so great, but it would be a good way to gain experience.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I agree with Pop. Are you attending both Baruch and Columbia at the same time? Why not dorm in the housing of Baruch or Columbia?
This person probably intends to transfer to Columbia.
Which could present a second challenge, from Baruch.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This person probably intends to transfer to Columbia.
Which could present a second challenge, from Baruch.
I hope this person comes from wealth or is prepared to handle HUGE student loans. My cousin attended Columbia for 1 year and is now 50K in the hole.

What are you planning on studying in those schools? Also, could you study the same thing in Florida?

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 04-07-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM

I'm studying business and I'll already have 2 years down with no loans from Florida. and in the business field Columbia has the 2nd highest production of fortune 500 CEO's right after Harvard. And I hope to go to Columbia to finish up my BA but it doesnt seem likely so I'll probably end up going to Baruch, then getting my MBA at Columbia.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Lets deal with work first.

This is New York City, not some giant Exurb with a bunch of chain restaurants.

We have 'Wait' staff, not "servers"! Waitors and Waitresses.

Fine Dining? In Orlando?? Where???

In New York City, fine dining waitors, and they are almost always *waitors*, are professional men of YEARS of esperience, and earn in and around six figures!!

In NYC, children, high school kids, are never waitors in fine dining establishments. It is simply not possible to gain the years of experience necessary, and then prove oneself.

McDonald's? Maybe Olive Garden??

Yes, you need a job first, if you do not have parental support.

Have you applied and been accepted at either Baruch or Columbia? If not, then you're just a high school kid trying to make it in the most expensive city in he country. Not good!

Have you ever been to NYC?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Okay Jcoltrane let me set you straight. I'm 19 years old and I already live by myself. I go to a community college and maintain a 3.7 GPA with an ACT score of 28 which, in case you probably don't know, is quite high. No Columbia standards, but definitely surpassed Baruch college hence thats why it's a safety school. Servers and Waiters are synonyms. Sure extremely high class restaurants prefer "Wait Staff" but the other 90% don't exactly care. Fine Dining in Orlando? You must not have been here. Sure we don't have as many NYC Fine Dining establishments, but there are definitely a good 15-20 restaurants that are 100+ a person, usually a fixed price. I personally work at Wolfgang Puck's which is about 50$ for an entree which is still pretty high class.

Oh and I'm not planning on making a career waiting and I don't plan on making 600-700$ a night serving in the highest restaurants of NYC. And yes I'm sure NYC has a ****load of chains.

And yes I've been to NYC and fell in love with it.

Are you done talking **** or?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
I'm studying business and I'll already have 2 years down with no loans from Florida. and in the business field Columbia has the 2nd highest production of fortune 500 CEO's right after Harvard. And I hope to go to Columbia to finish up my BA but it doesnt seem likely so I'll probably end up going to Baruch, then getting my MBA at Columbia.
why not finish your BA in Florida and then come to NYC for your MBA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City