Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,097,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The fact that you had to give me your whole family history up to three generations back only confirms for me your need of self-acceptance... very typical of a transplant trait... Give it up my man... No native New Yorker in Glendale reads the garbage that is the Bushwick daily... The inquirer is slightly more reliable...
Could you post the full reading list of publications and websites that we are allowed or not allowed to read, depending on where we were born? This would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 04:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Could you post the full reading list of publications and websites that we are allowed or not allowed to read, depending on where we were born? This would be very helpful.
Taken from the Bushwick Daily article this poster just mentioned...

"Some things yous can’t escape. That’s what I’ve learned about it all. I can’t escape bein a man. I get jealous and tight sometimes. Specially at work in front of the boys, if someone challenges me… And yous know how it is wit a dame. Some things yous can’t escape and that’s what I know.
I grew up in College Point. My family clan is from there. We’re Irish-Italian. I got pushed out to Maspeth to oversee a branch of pop’s plumbin business cause the Dooleys expand like that. Been in Maspeth since I was 19. Been in Maspeth for 15 years. It’s Queens–it’s where I’m from it’s who I am. New York baby.

Maspeth is a nice little place. It’s like yous in a village even though yous in Queens. For those of yous who don’t know Queens, alotta Queens is like that. In Maspeth they string the Christmas lights in December and have funeral homes for the departed. In Maspeth yous meet a cat young and he’ll be ya boy for life. Yous meet a girl young and she’ll be ya girl foreva.
My girl wasn’t my girl foreva though. Maybe that’s cause I actually met her in Forest Hills. Sometimes I take it there, to other parts of Queens. I took it too far in Forest Hills a coupla times and that’s how I ended up both wit my girl and then without her. She’s in Staten Island now wit my daughter and I’m sure to see my daughter every Sunday...."

The brilliance continues for about 5 more pages...
To answer your question, pretty much anything else on the planet that doesn't resemble this is okay by me...

Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,291,773 times
You do realize that I posted that to prove your own point.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,924,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Just trying to promote Bushwick as the next place to be. What a lovely place for transplants. No need to pay Manhattan prices anymore. So why is it that Flushing ave is the border again? Other than just telling people that it is?
Something I suspect he can't answer!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,164,537 times
Anon1,

It sounds like you are very resistant to the changes occurring. Why?

You really speak down on those who moved to NYC from elsewhere. So what? What's wrong with someone moving to NYC because they like the city, and then want to see it improve?

Then you attempt to degrade natives that are pro city, calling them transplants.

Nothing wrong with the Hipsters. I was on Bedford Ave a couple weeks ago. People were chill, and the venues were nice. In all honesty there's a big mix of people, and the Hipster label as discussed here can be used to describe many young people. In fact most people I meet hanging out in areas like Bedford Ave are NYC or metro area natives too.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 PM

235 posts, read 373,517 times
I am both Puerto Rican and Ecuadorian (brown guy here) and I have been accepted in Hipsters bars with no problem. In fact I have seen Black, Hispanic and Asian people (minorities hipsters?) hanging out in Williamsburg and Bushwick places as well. I don't see any hate that anon1 likes to portrait. White Hipsters hating and not accepting minorities. I am no Hipster. I was born in Queens but I was raised in a suburb of Philadelphia. I now live in Midtown. but I like to hang out in fun cool non-ghetto places.

Maybe if you are Ghetto you can feel uncomfortable in such places but who really likes the Ghetto behavior? You can be poor and accept differences and be a respectable person and I am sure others will respect you and like you.

But Ghetto people are all about hate. They hate the transplants/hipsters and they hate immigrants too. There are plenty of stories about immigrants getting attack and robbed in Ghetto neighborhoods. And wasn't there an Ecuadorian immigrant who has attacked and killed by some Ghetto Black guys not long ago in Bushwick? So who hates the most?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,164,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
I am both Puerto Rican and Ecuadorian (brown guy here) and I have been accepted in Hipsters bars with no problem. In fact I have seen Black, Hispanic and Asian people (minorities hipsters?) hanging out in Williamsburg and Bushwick places as well. I don't see any hate that anon1 likes to portrait. White Hipsters hating and not accepting minorities. I am no Hipster. I was born in Queens but I was raised in a suburb of Philadelphia. I now live in Midtown. but I like to hang out in fun cool non-ghetto places.

Maybe if you are Ghetto you can feel uncomfortable in such places but who really likes the Ghetto behavior? You can be poor and accept differences and be a respectable person and I am sure others will respect you and like you.

But Ghetto people are all about hate. They hate the transplants/hipsters and they hate immigrants too. There are plenty of stories about immigrants getting attack and robbed in Ghetto neighborhoods. And wasn't there an Ecuadorian immigrant who has attacked and killed by some Ghetto Black guys not long ago in Bushwick? So who hates the most?
Same here. My parents are from PR, I was born in NYC, but I am Southern European looking as reflected from my Spanish background. I have never felt discriminated against in any nightlife venue in this city and I hang out everywhere from the high end places on the West Side to Bedford Ave to Harlem.

The ghetto people are the most non-accepting, close minded of them all. Bring on the hipsters. The girls are cuter too. They're not overweight and actually take care of themself...

Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,291,773 times
Its all about diversity whether it be race, ethnicity, religion, socioeconomic, political, sexual preference, age, education, etc..., and Bushwick can use more of it and it would only make it a better neighborhood. That goes for white and black neighborhoods as well. Hipster, yuppy, immigrant, wannabe thug or student, they should all take part. Don't be a hater.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,801,446 times
It's really sad debating against such poor resistance... Really you guys need to do better... So since you can't attack my arguments with concrete facts, you attack my character, judgement and assessment of a group of people when my original post had absolutely nothing to do with the sort...

My original points wasn't on the type of people hipsters are (as I've said many times I couldn't care less whether they take over the whole neighborhood... Personally, I think it'd be great to remove the ghetto culture that still permeates throughout that area...) My issue is strictly with the misrepresentation of the area... and the over exaggeration that this area is something its not... Furthermore, what pisses me off to no end is the fact that you have so many people including many commenting right now who have made themselves experts on an area they have little to no knowledge about other than what read from subjective sources... I have lived on the borderline of this area since 1995... I remember walking out of church on Wyckoff ave around 10pm on a Tuesday around 6 years ago and seeing the PR gangs fighting against the Mexican gangs right on the street... Aslan and Sur13 were trying to take over Wyckoff ave at that time... The area was definitely a different ball game years ago... That being said, while there have been certain sections that have truly cleaned up, majority of the area is still the same shady place it's been for the last 10-15 years... I won't compare it to its infamous past but the not so distant past still holds true in many cases...

Furthermore, the demographics themselves are even less of an indicator than the crime itself... Again (I REPEAT), this is my only issue when we discuss Bushwick... Do not deflect or bring issues of hatred, prejudice, or stereotyping when they have nothing to do with what we are discussing... Just so we're clear seeing as how I have to explain this every single time I deal with a new group of hipster apologists... I have nothing personally against the group... What I have a problem with is the attitude that a (not all or even most) large number of them bring with them when dealing with others outside their comfort zone... If we can't be rational enough in a conversation to even admit that there might be some truth to the fact that so many other hold these same opinions then quite frankly you're lying just for the sake of debate...

I have a number of friends who could be characterized as hipsters minus the attitude... Some of them live along the halsey stop, a few of them along the Jefferson stop... These guys are just trying to get by looking for a scene where they could either get some fame through their music or through their artwork and I respect where they're coming from... But for those who have no idea what I speak of when I mention specific venues like Tandem (goes to show I'm not the close-minded bigot some of you seem to have me pegged to be), there's a reason why I say what I say...

To sum up since as usual, when no legitimate points can be made about the topic at hand, people derail the thread...

1) Bushwick hype is overblown
2) anon1 does not hate hipsters
3) anon1 does hate arrogance/pretentiousness/and folks who are self-absorbed
4) anon1 would also like to mention that #3 comes in all shapes, sizes and forms...

Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 PM

37,080 posts, read 39,254,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
It's really sad debating against such poor resistance... Really you guys need to do better... So since you can't attack my arguments with concrete facts, you attack my character, judgement and assessment of a group of people when my original post had absolutely nothing to do with the sort...

My original points wasn't on the type of people hipsters are (as I've said many times I couldn't care less whether they take over the whole neighborhood... Personally, I think it'd be great to remove the ghetto culture that still permeates throughout that area...) My issue is strictly with the misrepresentation of the area... and the over exaggeration that this area is something its not... Furthermore, what pisses me off to no end is the fact that you have so many people including many commenting right now who have made themselves experts on an area they have little to no knowledge about other than what read from subjective sources... I have lived on the borderline of this area since 1995... I remember walking out of church on Wyckoff ave around 10pm on a Tuesday around 6 years ago and seeing the PR gangs fighting against the Mexican gangs right on the street... Aslan and Sur13 were trying to take over Wyckoff ave at that time... The area was definitely a different ball game years ago... That being said, while there have been certain sections that have truly cleaned up, majority of the area is still the same shady place it's been for the last 10-15 years... I won't compare it to its infamous past but the not so distant past still holds true in many cases...

Furthermore, the demographics themselves are even less of an indicator than the crime itself... Again (I REPEAT), this is my only issue when we discuss Bushwick... Do not deflect or bring issues of hatred, prejudice, or stereotyping when they have nothing to do with what we are discussing... Just so we're clear seeing as how I have to explain this every single time I deal with a new group of hipster apologists... I have nothing personally against the group... What I have a problem with is the attitude that a (not all or even most) large number of them bring with them when dealing with others outside their comfort zone... If we can't be rational enough in a conversation to even admit that there might be some truth to the fact that so many other hold these same opinions then quite frankly you're lying just for the sake of debate...

I have a number of friends who could be characterized as hipsters minus the attitude... Some of them live along the halsey stop, a few of them along the Jefferson stop... These guys are just trying to get by looking for a scene where they could either get some fame through their music or through their artwork and I respect where they're coming from... But for those who have no idea what I speak of when I mention specific venues like Tandem (goes to show I'm not the close-minded bigot some of you seem to have me pegged to be), there's a reason why I say what I say...

To sum up since as usual, when no legitimate points can be made about the topic at hand, people derail the thread...

1) Bushwick hype is overblown
2) anon1 does not hate hipsters
3) anon1 does hate arrogance/pretentiousness/and folks who are self-absorbed
4) anon1 would also like to mention that #3 comes in all shapes, sizes and forms...
I think you can concede though, the definition of Bushwick is pretty arbitrary and includes parts that are in some circles officially East Williamsburg and a lot of that has changed. As a tit for tat though, other people have to concede that there is a lot of Bushwick out there and most of that isn't on the L train isn't where they're seeing all that gentrification and that Bushwick is a much larger entity than what they're talking about (even if we're including parts of East Williamsburg and Ridgewood (i.e. because the impression of Bushwick I've built up through the years isn't just community board 4)). What's more, the people who are of the persuasion that Bushwick in general, as ridiculous as that is since Bushwick is so large and includes very non-gentrified parts, has gentrified, they should keep in mind that the people feeding them the line on that are also talking about a very small portion of Bushwick and have a very direct incentive to hype it up (real estate agents and the beautiful hype they help spread).

That being said, yea, Bushwick is gentrifying. Just not as fast, thoroughly, or over as large an expanse an area as there is sheer amount of Bushwick. Because Bushwick is a bigass neighborhood. Enjoy the Mexican food. It's great. The Ecuadorian food could do some quality control though if you're going into a hole in the wall far from the fishable seas and ordering ceviche at bargain basement prices, then you kind of have what's coming to you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City