Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:56 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times

Advertisements

Some old maps show Ridgewood as East Williamsburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The system wont let me rep you. Me personally I haven't visited the Shwick in almost two years so I really cant say what is going on in that part of BK, and me personally I can not depend on posters who don't live in that area as well as writer columnist from the NYT, Gothamist and all that indy freelance crap who only visit the area for a couple of hours and write an whole entire year of information of about the nabe. But me personally Bushwick reminded me a lot like Mott Haven physically, and demographically as well. I would have to repeatedly spend time in a neighborhood in all sorts of times and seasons to get a feel for it in order to make an valid opinion. I spent a whole entire day in Fort Green some weeks ago and witness an out of town white chick crying for her iphone when it got stolen.
Where were you specifically in Bushwick? Do you remember? Honestly, it's not like Bed-stuy or Fort Greene and Clinton Hill or even Harlem that had beautiful architecture and slowly began its transformation into an area worth investing... Bushwick is and always has looked like a dump going as far back as I can remember... There's a reason why it was arguably the worst area in Brooklyn back in the late 70s early 80s... I've posted numerous times on here showing the type of architecture Bushwick has... It's mainly ugly 4-8 family broken down apartment buildings filled with graffiti or 1-2 family homes covered in iron fences and iron bars to protect from robbery... If that's anyone's idea of rustic charm, "retro"... then I am clearly clueless as to what constitutes nice... Personally, the most appealing buildings you see in Bushwick are the project buildings because at least they look relatively maintained...

And now, due to false hype you have a random purple condo building or lime green condo building to try and attract the awkward hipster clientele but those buildings stick out like sore thumbs in the neighborhood... I don't know how many different ways I can say this... The demographics of Bushwick and to a certain extent the look of Bushwick really hasn't changed all that much in the last 5-10 years... Now, if we're comparing the Bushwick of today to the Bushwick of 1981 then yea it's a whole different ball game... But the same could be said for just about every single high crime area then and now...

It's why I don't get this media created Bushwick... If you want a neighborhood to change why falsely advertise... All that'll eventually due in the end is price out those same poor hipsters that start the wave in the first place... What self-respecting middle class worker or family would take a plunge on this area whose rents are on par or beyond other middle class areas when there is still relatively little significant investment... It just makes no sense... And it's why this area along with sections of Harlem will never fully gentrify... It's too expensive for the poor white kids from Ohio but still too crime ridden for the yuppy coming from Manhattan looking for more space in Brooklyn...

Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Here go and take a look at another section of the hippest part of Bushwick and scroll around... I always find it amusing when people think I'm making this stuff up...

https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=of...ed=0CDAQ8gEwAA

Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Why did they build the Bushwick Savings Bank in East Williamsburg (Graham & Grand) back in the day?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Some old maps show Ridgewood as East Williamsburg.
@ G-dale... that may just be you and you're unfamiliarity with the borderlines of Bushwick/Ridgewood/East Williamsburg...

For Ridgewood, along the western border, Ridgewood ends along Cypress and Flushing ave... Once you pass Flushing ave, even as you cross Seneca ave or even Onderdonk along the streets of Metropolitan, Grand, Maspeth ave, etc. you're in East Williamsburg... There is a reason why East Williamsburg gentrified so quickly... About 50% of the area was completely industrial... The only sections that originally had people living in it were the sections along the Bushwick border which constantly come into question today... Therefore, it was easy for the change to take place... There wasn't so much of a need for displacement as there is in Bushwick where poor immigrant folk are living 10 to an apartment at times...

Manhattan was a whole different issue... Manhattan had an appeal that Brooklyn just doesn't have regardless of how much they want to recreate it... It's why to this day if you really delve into the facts and statistics of this recent explosion of newcomers... The vast majority of them move to one of three areas or a combination of the three (1) Highly accessible to Manhattan, 2) Industrial, 3) Nice architecture)... Thankfully, Bushwick has the first one... If it wasn't right after Williamsburg I can guarantee with absolute certainty, we would not be talking about Bushwick as a destination for hipsters... And real estate agents would not be falsely advertising neighborhoods as Bushwick to attract these newcomers as well...

Old 04-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Why did they build the Bushwick Savings Bank in East Williamsburg (Graham & Grand) back in the day?
Why is the Ridgewood Savings Bank in areas other than Ridgewood... Why is Maspeth Federal Savings in Forest Hills... You ask a lot of ignorant questions for someone who lives in the area... I'm starting to think you may be a transplant...

Old 04-17-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Taken verbatim from your article:

"Large warehouses in Bushwick that ran $12 to $13 per square foot are being repositioned and asking $25 to $29 per square foot, while a Massey Knakal project poised to come online in late 2013 or 2014 at 74-92 Bogart Street in Bushwick is asking rents in the $30’s and $40’s, said Amirkhanian.
The 80,000 s/f warehouse is an entire city block, consisting of 1200 feet of wrap-around frontage along Bogart Street, Ingraham Street, Morgan Avenue, and Harrison Place."

All of these avenues, places, and streets are in East Williamsburg... Exactly as I said before... There was no way on Earth that Bushwick rents were actually going for 2400 for a studio, 2800 for a 1 bedroom or somewhere along those lines... The dishonesty of real estate never stops...

Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
The argument about the exact boundaries sounds pretty petty to me. We all know greater Bushwick is on the verge.

BTW, there were 0 murders north of Myrtle Ave in 2012. Is that East Williamsburg now?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Why is the Ridgewood Savings Bank in areas other than Ridgewood... Why is Maspeth Federal Savings in Forest Hills... You ask a lot of ignorant questions for someone who lives in the area... I'm starting to think you may be a transplant...
Where was the original of these savings banks before they branched out? Just trying to say it is easy for people to be confused.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The argument about the exact boundaries sounds pretty petty to me. We all know greater Bushwick is on the verge.

BTW, there were 0 murders north of Myrtle Ave in 2012. Is that East Williamsburg now?
Please, just stop before you hurt yourself... Myrtle ave to the North is Ridgewood... I really hope you don't expect me to believe you are that ignorant as to believe that Myrtle only goes through one neighborhood... Please prove me wrong so that you can still have a shred of believability on this site... Am I the only one on here who speaks vocally and knows what's really going on in Bushwick... Is everyone else really that uninformed...?

Furthermore, let's play devil's advocate and assume you're right (which you aren't)? What does one section of the neighborhood having 0 murders one year have to do with any changes... You expect each section of the neighborhood to have multiple murders each year? This isn't the 70s my man... We don't live in those times anymore...

Now if you'll excuse me I have to do a couple jobs but I'll be back to sort out this mess around 10... For the uninformed folks trying to comment... Please do some research first so that way you can adequately respond on this thread... Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City