Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM

193 posts, read 282,398 times

Advertisements

I am currently a 20 year old full time student out of state, but my permanent residence is in the Bronx in a NYCHA development with my mother and sister, all who are on the lease. We have lived in our same 2 bedroom apartment since 2001. My mother plans on retiring sometime in mid-late 2014 and moving out of state. However, I plan on staying in NYC once I graduate college next spring, and since I would be the only person living in our current apartment (my sister is also moving out next year out of state), my mother plans on transferring the lease to make me the primary resident. I would prefer to move out of our current 2 bedroom to a 1 bedroom apartment (ideally to a development in Manhattan, Queens or a decent part of Brooklyn), because I don't need the extra bedroom nor do I really want it. I would feel stupid staying in a 2 bedroom apartment when there's tons of families with children on the NYCHA waiting list who can better benefit from it.

I am also open to staying in our current development/building, or to another decent development in the Bronx. I was looking at Fort Independence in particular; any info on that development specifically? Would I still need to wait the 1 year period for a transfer once the lease is put in my name, being that I was already a resident before becoming the primary person on the lease? In addition, although there is no set time for how long a transfer would take, what is my likelihood or a estimate of how long it would take for a single person looking for a transfer from a 2 to 1 bedroom? I do plan on working full time after graduation, and will be applying to some affordable housing units as well. I have no plans in staying in public housing for the long term (and am kinda frustrated that my family has been there this long but that's another story), but for the meanwhile as I get my career established and same some money to move elsewhere, I need somewhere to stay. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
How about ask NYCHA

Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 PM

163 posts, read 484,775 times
yes, I think you should ask the management office, but I have an aunt that has a two bedroom and her three children are all grown and are no longer living with her. She requested the transfer of one bedroom cause she had years without them in the lease and nycha never told her that she had to move to a one bedroom. This was more than two years ago and she still in her two bedroom.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
How about taking care of yourself or not moving back to NYC if you cannot afford it?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,273 times
for someone who has lived in nycha do they really send someone to check your current apartment before they accept you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City