Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 AM

43 posts, read 199,246 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I work in the healthcare industry as an administrative assistant. I was wondering does anyone here work for a private equity firm or an hedge fund?

What are the pros/cons, job security in this field and what is the best way to apply for an entry level position?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbkshorty View Post
Hello,

I work in the healthcare industry as an administrative assistant. I was wondering does anyone here work for a private equity firm or an hedge fund?

What are the pros/cons, job security in this field and what is the best way to apply for an entry level position?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Define "entry level" in your perspective.

Also, why the change of fields; and, why Private Equity/Hedge Funds?

Offhand, there aren't any such positions. Assistant positions require demonstranted financial experience and licensing! You also need a level of focus, exactitude, dedication to the job, and an extreme ability to deal with *pressure*. Nothing which your healthcare experience has prepared you for.

You'll also need very good to expert skill with the standard office software, as well as familiarity with specific financial software used by the individual firms you apply to.

Realize, these are coveted positions, which offer the possibility of six figure salaries and and bonus. Your healthcare experience will account for nothing.

Do you have a college degree? If so, in what field?

Entry level positions w/b better found in Investment Banks and Broker offices, where you could gain experience and knowledge.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
That is incorrect, there are such positions and you do not need to be licensed. They're admin asst jobs like any other, but they will want a high level of experience and skill with the office suite (but you should have that regardless as an admin)

I'm an Executive Assistant in healthcare sales right now, about 18 years of experience as an admin

I did work for a hedge fund for 2 years before I started my current job 10 years ago.

It's high stress and you're dealing with major attitudes. I actually recently received an offer that is 20k above my current salary to go back and turned it down, simply because the stress was not worth the money. There are also a lot of layoffs and reorgs, and the little people are the first to go.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Thanks so much all responses are appreciated.

I gained this healthcare position straight from High School it was "if you can pass this administrative exam you can get the job". I scored extremely high which is why I have this position. I then went on to a community college while working to obtain an Associates.

The field doesn't necessarily matter I am just looking for administrative positions that would pay at least 50k and good benefits since I would like to go back to school and move my way up the career ladder.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbkshorty View Post
Thanks so much all responses are appreciated.

I gained this healthcare position straight from High School it was "if you can pass this administrative exam you can get the job". I scored extremely high which is why I have this position. I then went on to a community college while working to obtain an Associates.

The field doesn't necessarily matter I am just looking for administrative positions that would pay at least 50k and good benefits since I would like to go back to school and move my way up the career ladder.
How proficient are you in Word, Excel and PowerPoint?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:50 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That is incorrect, there are such positions and you do not need to be licensed. They're admin asst jobs like any other, but they will want a high level of experience and skill with the office suite (but you should have that regardless as an admin)
Really?

Let me see you work on the trading floor w/o Series 7 and/or 64, and, in some cases more![/quote]

Quote:
I did work for a hedge fund for 2 years before I started my current job 10 years ago.
In what capacity? Human Resorces?

I presumed the OP was interested in being 'in the money', perhaps my mistake.

Quote:
It's high stress and you're dealing with major attitudes. I actually recently received an offer that is 20k above my current salary to go back and turned it down, simply because the stress was not worth the money.
You're dealing with people making serious money, and there are NO excuses. None!

Quote:
There are also a lot of layoffs and reorgs, and the little people are the first to go.
NOT, if you are connected and vital to the BIG people! If one is not highly ambitious, there is no point of working in such a place. It is more than a J O B, its opportunity!

I know people who pay their staff, out of pocket, on top of the firm's salary and bonus! Particularly, when there are cutbacks and layoffs.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Really?

Let me see you work on the trading floor w/o Series 7 and/or 64, and, in some cases more!

In what capacity? Human Resorces?

I presumed the OP was interested in being 'in the money', perhaps my mistake.

You're dealing with people making serious money, and there are NO excuses. None!

NOT, if you are connected and vital to the BIG people! If one is not highly ambitious, there is no point of working in such a place. It is more than a J O B, its opportunity!

I know people who pay their staff, out of pocket, on top of the firm's salary and bonus! Particularly, when there are cutbacks and layoffs.
My offer to be an Exec Asst that I turned down was for $110K and did not require any licensing. And it wasn't HR - it was supporting C Suite level. I did something similar when I worked there before, just not at as high of a level.

OP was specifically asking about Administrative Assistant positions, I don't think that's what you're talking about. You only need a Series 7 if you're taking orders.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM

OP - my suggestion to you is to hone your Word/Excel/Powerpoint skills. You will be tested on these for the higher paying admin jobs, and the recruiters will favor you heavily if you ace them (95%+). Find a few that are advertising for Exec/Admin Asst positions for iBanks and Hedge Funds, and give them a call. They will likely at least bring you in to test and prescreen you for positions they have open.

How many years experience do you have?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
My ex applied for a job as office manager in the hedge fund that her brother in law was a top quant wizard at. Even with the in and the lowly position, she said it was like trying to get a job at the CIA. Multiple interviews, rediculous questions, background check after background check.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM

I have 6yrs of healthcare administration experience. My experience is so short because like I stated before I came out of high school took a test and score 98 in MS Word and 93 MS Excel that at the time was enough for me to get the job.

I will have to brush up on Powerpoint skills because I do not do Powerpoint here I took courses towards electives for my major but a refresher course is probably what I need.

I am not necessarily set on applying to private equity firms/hedge funds sorry if I wasn't clear about that but I did want to hear perspectives on the environment itself I know to pay 55/60k with bonuses there are certainly cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City