Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM

431 posts, read 659,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN IN BROOKLYN 1986 View Post
Under what circumstances do NYCHA apartments become available to those on the wait list? To

those Who occupy these apartments a majority of them see them as golden oppurtunity ( cheap

rent,no utilitity charge, and in some cases sitting on prime land in Manhattan etc ) not to be

mishandled.

In that aspect I would assume that renters hold onto these apartments for a very long time thus

making the ever expanding wait list for a new renter quite a few years. Is it possible for a long

time renter to pass the apartment onto another family member in the case of death or being moved

into a nursing home? I often see many young mothers in NY being "gifted" their apartments by

Their own parents who's name is on the lease but live else where.
Majority of these apartments never become available unless someone dies and has no family left. I know people who kept their NYCHA apartments for 20-50 years. They leave relatives on the lease. And in this economy most people are not moving out. Every NYCHA building is not bad especially in Manhattan and some of these buildings have up to 6 bedrooms and are very big. You might live in the projects but living in a penthouse style apartment and paying super cheap rent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thank you. For those hating on people that live in NYCHA, they're not living in the best conditions. Sure they have a 3 bedroom for $700 but I can make a long list of crap they have to put up with. And I'm sure many of you on here wouldn't want to live like that.
I wouldn't, which is why I worked hard, make good choices, and sought out opportunities for improvement and advancement instead of popping out eight kids with seven different guys and practicing holding my hand out in my spare time. I also save for my retirement so I won't need to rely on charity in my old age. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Next time I hang in the projects around my way I'm gonna ask people who they vote for and how often they do. Because as much as I hang out in them (almost every weekend) I never hear conversation based on politics or politicians. I hear about what beer to buy or who got into a fight with who on the boulevard. I dont hear about politics.
I hear worse, who is your favorite basketball player, what type of bud you smoke. Yo Sty is cray my ni@@a. Most don't even know who their local politicians are but yet they were jumping and cheering for Barak Obama, I told one guy do you know under Barak Obama more black youths become incarcerated under his tenure compared to previous presidents before. The young kid was pretty shaken by it.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I wouldn't, which is why I worked hard, make good choices, and sought out opportunities for improvement and advancement instead of popping out eight kids with seven different guys and practicing holding my hand out in my spare time. I also save for my retirement so I won't need to rely on charity in my old age. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
Which is great. But not everybody is destined to do well in life, or make the right decisions. Should we subsidize people for not making the right decisions in life? That's a legitimate beef. But the system enables the people to do so. Change the system then you'll see different results.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I hear worse, who is your favorite basketball player, what type of bud you smoke. Yo Sty is cray my ni@@a. Most don't even know who their local politicians are but yet they were jumping and cheering for Barak Obama, I told one guy do you know under Barak Obama more black youths become incarcerated under his tenure compared to previous presidents before. The young kid was pretty shaken by it.
Lol! Poor thing. These kids are not playing Legend Of Zelda. Which is a very good game IMO.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I was laughing too.

They sure don't. I visually see it for myself during non presidential election days. Do you think people in the projects are going to vote to elect a judge, head of the DA, or vote for referendum or initiative which will help or not help the nabe? Seventhfloor you are right!

: smack:

Very, very blinded you are my friend. Not everyone in Brownsville, Crown Heights, Canarsie and East New York lives in the projects, many people of color who live in those areas own property as well as business, these folks make up much of Charles Barron's constituents. Plenty of people who live in the hood don't have time to vote, they are either working to get by, and lets not forget many young men who live in the hood are probably incarcerated and will not get the chance to vote until their sentences has been fully served. The only time when election day in the city was packed was during Obamas election and reelection which do not serve a purpose except that your votes go to congressional persons who intern elect president. Even to this very day, people are not to knowledgeable about voting and this is why feds came up with the electoral college. If I was you Airborne guy for the next four years take a trip to Harlem, South Bronx, Jamaica Queens and East NY Brooklyn during election day, see how during presidential election day is pack, but when it comes to mayoral, gubernatorial you will see less people. Most folks that live in the hood don't even vote for local leaders, judges, initiatives etc. Generally presidents don't help to change neighborhoods, your tax dollars will just fill his coffers as well as other politicians. Local leaders help bring change but then again Charles Robber Barron is the opposite. Do you think Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan who visited bombed out Charlotte street in the South Bronx personally gave residents aide to help rebuild lives? No, but welfare came in quite handy for most residents. But like I said seventhfloor is right!
"You must spread more reputation around before giving it to Bronxguyanese again"

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Which is great. But not everybody is destined to do well in life, or make the right decisions. Should we subsidize people for not making the right decisions in life? That's a legitimate beef. But the system enables the people to do so. Change the system then you'll see different results.
We already subsidize people for making bad choices--it's called three square and a bed in jail every night. (I think we should be charging inmates for their keep, but that's another thread.)

You'd be surprised how many will pull up their big boy pants when given the choice of starving in a cardboard box or getting their act together.

Soon enough the current system will change, and a lot of attitudes will need a very quick adjustment.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe because the cops were doing a better job taking the hoodlums off the street.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
We already subsidize people for making bad choices--it's called three square and a bed in jail every night. (I think we should be charging inmates for their keep, but that's another thread.)
I agree. On both points. I just think that people like to run their mouths without actually recognizing the situation. The system is broken. The average project chick with 3 kids is not even a cog in the machine.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Maybe because the cops were doing a better job taking the hoodlums off the street.
By stop and frisk? Dudes that get easily arrested don't stay in the jail or prison for long, they get realesed out and continue their path of degeneracy. Don't cry when you walk around Farrugut PJs in DUMBO and some youth steals your iphone5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City