Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Who gives a crap? No one!

NYC has a rising homeless population. Social programs have been cut, and the NYCHA has been privatizing lots.

Obviously people who live in them will have to do whatever it takes to survive, unless they like being homeless on the streets of NYC and freezing in the winter.

You're making excuses, plain and simple!
Listen dude, call it what you want. I don't have a dog in the fight, now do I? The projects served, and continue to serve a purpose. I'd rather people be in the projects than laying out on the street or living in shantytowns. I'll say it again, people who are poor shouldn't be forced to move elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Then their families should support them. Not the taxpayers.
That's true, and it would be easier for families to help themselves if the tax burden wasn't already so high. In leaner times long ago I couldn't help my mom through a temporary health setback, largely because after taxes I didn't have anything left. There's few things worse than being so crippled by taxes that you can't help your own family out.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM

235 posts, read 373,985 times
There should be a limited time that you can be in those housing projects. You have generations of people abusing the system, while there are real homeless people and families that need help for a few years to get back on their feet. There is have to be a better way cause the current way is not working and is creating dependency, entitlement and just laziness to better themselves.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
There should be a limited time that you can be in those housing projects. You have generations of people abusing the system, while there are real homeless people and families that need help for a few years to get back on their feet. There is have to be a better way cause the current way is not working and is creating dependency, entitlement and just laziness to better themselves.
Private charities maybe? They have the ability to filter out moochers and direct their resources to those who really need it. Government welfare is structured in such a way that it's not easy to detect or cut-off those who are leeching off the system.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You obviously have not spent time in any project to make a statement like this. If you did you would understand why things are the way they are...this is how the world works.
Surprise I actually have. I know plenty of people who live in them.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Who's idea was take the limited NYC space along the Atlantic Ocean and build NYCHA housing? BTW one of the worst in NYC. Far Rockaway Hammel and Redfern houses are atrocious. Then people wonder why so much contempt for Governments and moochers.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
what the city really should do is put all of you complaining so-called "taxpayers" in the streets and see if you can survive with the poor and destitute that you want to deprive of housing.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
While I am not in favor of people mooching the system and passing down their apts to future generations, I think some people forget about another equation in all of this. A lot of people who live in these projects are also seniors on SSI and people on disability. Same with people trying to get into them. For those that don't know this, disability actually pays out less than unemployment (which is about to be raised in 30 days btw).

So for those people, who technically can't "better themselves" because they can't work, what do you propose they do? I'm not talking the mother who decides to have 5 kids from different fathers type of tenant. I'm talking the old retired lady who is collecting $900 a month on SSI. I also have 2 friends who are brothers who have MD and are in wheelchairs and can't work who live in NYCHA and collect disability. Where do you propose they should go?

PS A lot of money could be saved for taxpayers if the state would simply make the rule of if you are on public assistance and have a child while on it (I'm talking the full 9 months, not already being pregnant when you start) then you don't get any extra money for that child. You would see how fast the problem stops. But that's for another thread.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Private charities maybe? They have the ability to filter out moochers and direct their resources to those who really need it.
Entirely false. Nor does privatization help. Both already exist in great number, and they are growing.

The trend is to "place" the more anti-social groups, that is to say, those that cannot be screened into NYCHA, or who have been evicted for drugs, whatever, in "mixed-income" or other privately owned buildings. Harlem is filled with the latter in particular. Most are managed by "private charities," West Harlem Group Assistance or ECDO.

I read with amusement as people criticize NYCHA because I know that they are only one aspect of the problem, and in fact, an aspect that will improve as regards including only working people. Everyone else will simply be placed in social-service housing, which looks like any other building except for the litter and garbage everywhere, placed by residents, and the three dozen men, women, and children ensconced on the steps all day, every day, and far into every single night. Just below the sign that states, "Absolutely NO sitting on the steps."

The "moochers" are not going anywhere. They know how to work the system and they will continue to do so. Evicted from NYCHA ? No problem. First, they move you to the Convent Avenue Family Living Center, where you will bring down the quality-of-life for everyone in the blocks around. Then, a social-service building spot will be found for you, and the very same taxpayer money, more in fact, will be spent on your behalf.

People need to read more and go to a few meetings. Figure out what's actually going on.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
the thing people don't get is tax money won't
ever be saved. it will just go to some other
program or pay-off. that's why things i can't
change like poor people on the dole don't bother
me the least, because it could be so much worse.

Last edited by 11KAP; 04-12-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City