Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,197,475 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this thread will bring people who agree with me and those of whom will slam me.
I see so many people spend so much time, energy, work, and years of their lives waiting to get into Nycha apartments. My thought is why not spend all the energy, time and work to better your life so you don't need Nycha?
I know how hard and expensive this city is. I don't make much money myself but the thing is I do work hard for what I do make and provide for myself. I've been in great neighborhoods/apartments and had to move because I couldn't afford the apartment anymore since now it was a "hot neighborhood". And of course it sucks but thats the way NYC is. I'm not an owner so I'm not entitled to live their cheaply for the rest of my life. So I research a new area, that I can afford and move there. Happened several times and I don't count it won't happen again out either.
I'm not trying to put people down who need Nycha. I'm just saying take a look at your life and could you make it without it cause odds are you could. I easily qualify for Nycha and could live in one of their buildings if I so choose. But that is not my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM

18,898 posts, read 13,788,646 times
I'm just sorry that the rules won't let me give you reputation for this.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,542,644 times
Maybe if you didn't worry about NYCHA residents, you could've found a better job that would allow you to live in a stable apartment without having to move every few years like a nomad. I don't think your pride will get any better if somehow NYCHA disbanded 2 hours from now. Misery sure does love company.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,197,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Maybe if you didn't worry about NYCHA residents, you could've found a better job that would allow you to live in a stable apartment without having to move every few years like a nomad. I don't think your pride will get any better if somehow NYCHA disbanded 2 hours from now. Misery sure does love company.
I may have choose a career that doesn't pay much but its what I love and very rewarding. Wouldn't have it any other way

Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,542,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I may have choose a career that doesn't pay much but its what I love and very rewarding. Wouldn't have it any other way
Good for you. So why the concern about NYCHA? If the projects were filled with mostly working class/ moderate income families and low crime, would you or anyone else complain about them?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,961,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'm sure this thread will bring people who agree with me and those of whom will slam me.
I see so many people spend so much time, energy, work, and years of their lives waiting to get into Nycha apartments. My thought is why not spend all the energy, time and work to better your life so you don't need Nycha?
I know how hard and expensive this city is. I don't make much money myself but the thing is I do work hard for what I do make and provide for myself. I've been in great neighborhoods/apartments and had to move because I couldn't afford the apartment anymore since now it was a "hot neighborhood". And of course it sucks but thats the way NYC is. I'm not an owner so I'm not entitled to live their cheaply for the rest of my life. So I research a new area, that I can afford and move there. Happened several times and I don't count it won't happen again out either.
I'm not trying to put people down who need Nycha. I'm just saying take a look at your life and could you make it without it cause odds are you could. I easily qualify for Nycha and could live in one of their buildings if I so choose. But that is not my choice.
I agree. The thing is that so many people in this city are tied down to their low wage jobs as well as tied to close family support system while waiting to get an apartment in NYCHA, at that same time it might be beneficial for one to learn a trade and or attend a community college to obtain an GED or an AA degree to get an leg up. For some NYCHA might be their next hope. If it was me to be honest and I wanted to upgrade myself I would rather be looking for oppurtunities outside of NYC or the state entirely instead of looking and waiting for an NYCHA apartment. The cost of living and the quality of life in certain parts of America like PA, FL, AZ, NC have better quality of life, and cheaper cost of living compared to all of the housing projects located in the most expensive city in the U.S. I would rather be a Footlocker employee and live in states like FL or NC compared to living in the Bronx or Brooklyn in some crime filled housing project or even worse living in an housing project were one can not afford necessities due to gentrification around it.

I know some people want housing projects of NYC to be demolished due to the fact its the last bastion of failed urban renewal and poverty within the city. But what if NYCHA is removed from the equation? Who is going to stock food in supermarket shelves, clean up aisles at Duane Reade, Whole Foods, care for your ailing mother during home visits, fix subway tracks overnight, watch over your condo when you sleep at night, babysit your kids. For the wannabe elitist and I know some of you post on here, are you willing and prepared to do jobs that working class folks that live in NYCHA do? If NYC did not have projects and still kept tenement slums, parts of the city would have looked similar to Soweto or a Favela.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-11-2013 at 08:42 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 PM

368 posts, read 621,392 times
This reminds me of a section in the book Freakonomics. Most people think drug dealing is easy, quick money but the book says the average McDonald's worker will make more over their lifetime than a drug dealer because drug dealers spend so much of their time in and out of jail. In a similar way, many people will spend so much of their time and energy to be able to receive some government program without realizing all the time it takes and how that time spent could be put to better use. I do think for the most part, people don't know how to break out of the cycle of dependency.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM

156 posts, read 284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

I know some people want housing projects of NYC to be demolished due to the fact its the last bastion of failed urban renewal and poverty within the city. But what if NYCHA is removed from the equation? Who is going to stock food in supermarket shelves, clean up aisles at Duane Reade, Whole Foods, care for your ailing mother during home visits, fix subway tracks overnight, watch over your condo when you sleep at night, babysit your kids. For the wannabe elitist and I know some of you post on here, are you willing and prepared to do jobs that working class folks that live in NYCHA do? If NYC did not have projects and still kept tenement slums, parts of the city would have looked similar to Soweto or a Favela.
Well said, Bronxguy.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,856,704 times
Quote:
I agree. The thing is that so many people in this city are tied down to their low wage jobs as well as tied to close family support system while waiting to get an apartment in NYCHA, at that same time it might be beneficial for one to learn a trade and or attend a community college to obtain an GED or an AA degree to get an leg up. For some NYCHA might be their next hope. If it was me to be honest and I wanted to upgrade myself I would rather be looking for oppurtunities outside of NYC or the state entirely instead of looking and waiting for an NYCHA apartment. The cost of living and the quality of life in certain parts of America like PA, FL, AZ, NC have better quality of life, and cheaper cost of living compared to all of the housing projects located in the most expensive city in the U.S. I would rather be a Footlocker employee and live in states like FL or NC compared to living in the Bronx or Brooklyn in some crime filled housing project or even worse living in an housing project were one can not afford necessities due to gentrification around it.

Those businesses are UNDERPAYING people, plain and simple. What you're describing is welfare sustaining certain business models. Why does the city have to sustain these businesses and defacto indirectly pay wages for them? These businesses need to pay their workers a living wage.

In fact. welfare and the housing projects did two things.

It caused a lot of people from not trying to get higher paying jobs (all the better to keep welfare benefits) and it prevented people from fighting for their rights.

I know a number of young whites from out of town, even from other countries who can come here and easily make a lot of money. It simply will not happen for those you speak of, who have become content for whatever scraps liberals throw them. Instead of fighting for their chance at a better life.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,677,886 times
Quote:

So taxpayers should should pay for 2-4 generations of people so that someone has a babysitter or a deli clerk? The problem is once again that too much government is not a good thing. Think of this number. 700,000 people live in NYCHA housing! That's larger than some cities. Christ sake they had their own police force prior to the NYPD merger in 96. The same thing with the lifeline free phones. Starts off as a good tool then gets abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City