Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,055,668 times

Advertisements

SF banned styrofoam a long time ago, and now charges .10 cents for any bags in a retail environment (even supermarket).

Some of it seems 'nannying' but some ideas of reusing make a whole lot more sense than recycling. (inefficient).

The sheer amount of garbage New Yorkers throw out is mind boggling.
I'd love to see big businesses give incentives to reuse- (Ikea does this), but if Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts could incentivize people discounts by brining back or reusing their own quality cup/mug it would reduce tons of trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,209,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
SF banned styrofoam a long time ago, and now charges .10 cents for any bags in a retail environment (even supermarket).

Some of it seems 'nannying' but some ideas of reusing make a whole lot more sense than recycling. (inefficient).

The sheer amount of garbage New Yorkers throw out is mind boggling.
I'd love to see big businesses give incentives to reuse- (Ikea does this), but if Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts could incentivize people discounts by brining back or reusing their own quality cup/mug it would reduce tons of trash.
Whole Foods gives you .10 cents for every bag you bring in yourself when you get groceries there.

Other stores that give me the plastic bags I use them as my garbage at home. I take it out daily so those work perfectly.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,154,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
And now it turns out the dirty hippies are dying of their own filth:
The Disgusting Consequences of Plastic-Bag Bans - Bloomberg

Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 PM

37,026 posts, read 39,094,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
And now it turns out the dirty hippies are dying of their own filth:
The Disgusting Consequences of Plastic-Bag Bans - Bloomberg
WASH YOUR BAGS, FOOLS. What is so hard to understand about that? You wash kitchen rags and bathroom towels, why the hell wouldn't you occasionally wash your reusable bag from which your food comes?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Most of out food comes packaged so except for loose produce, contamination is not much of an issue, certainly not with anything prewrapped, in cartons, bottles, boxes or cans.
But loose produce will always be an exception, needing a new plastic bag, and the only worry would be the migrant worker who schyt in the field next to your lovely red lettuce.

Drippy meats will always need special care and fresh plastic. Same with fresh fish.

So there will always be a need for a combination of reuseable and easily recyclable or biodegradable ways to get food home. Part of my battle is won with a cardboard box that opens into my "granny cart" and cans, boxes, cartons, bottles etc just get dumped in the bottom. Perishable and frozen stuff goes into old plastic bags.

But I think styrofoam is a special case whose banning would be a terrific idea. (As I sit here sucking my coffee from a styrofoam cup.) As soon as I get rid of these Goddamn taxes, I'll see what Macy's has to offer. Do you think the clerks will mind if I put my mouth on all their cups?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
WASH YOUR BAGS, FOOLS. What is so hard to understand about that? You wash kitchen rags and bathroom towels, why the hell wouldn't you occasionally wash your reusable bag from which your food comes?

When i buy my ziplock bags with the little zipper thing on them, I re use them. I wash them and hang them on the line to dry. There is nothing wrong with them to throw them out. I use the same ones over and over until they cannot be used anymore. I have all different sizes.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
It's a crime to throw out those ziplocks.
I resuse the ones I get from the deli too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City