Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times

Advertisements

Many of these younger clowns 22-30 driving around in fancy cars are living at home with mom and dad. I can't tell you how many times I see guys with benz, etc. 'balling out at clubs', etc that live at home with mom and dad. They'll also put 9 guys in a hotel room in miami or atlantic city and then go 'ball out' at clubs. I've literally seen guys throwing money up in the air at a club (douce move to begin with) that live at home with their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Perhaps you need to get around more. Particularly, STOP presupposing and stereotyping! Obviously, you do not have a clue. How could you by doing drive bys! Get out, talk to people, get to know people, find out about their culture and mindsets.

Your comments belie that you really don't. I don't know much of Glendale, and little personal experience in Ridgewood, but the rest of Queens I can say something about.

Most of the people in IMMIGRANT Queens are 1st Generation and have not been here for decades. In Astoria for example, Greeks, are the most successful immigrant group; but, makeup roughly half of the Euro population with the rest (non Transplant) whites are recent immigrants from ex Soviet/Communist countries (Italians the exception).

In Flushing, Astoria, and other neighborhoods, all those businesses crammed in and around Main Street for example, all those business on Broadway and 30th Aves., all the construction businesses, all the behind the scenes support businessew; all the *hustle* bussiness, like cell phone stores, etc. ALL are owned by the IMMIGRANTS of those neighborhoods, and that doesn't inculde the businesses they open in other neighborhoods and Manhattan.

The "Diner" business, virtually 100% Greek; low level and mid level restaurants in this city are MAJORITY owned Greek and Italian, not to mention Asian restaurants.

Just an example, on a weekend night, the owners, sons and employed relatives, people who would never be mistaken for corporate, PARADE their success, status and wealth. It is no different than the young sons of prosperous suburbanites, who run the local highways, speeding, racing, profiling at the local clubs, every weekend.

Again, Diners, you find the all over Manhattan, these businesses earn six and seven figure incomes for the *families* that own and run them. The owners are most often 1st Gen, sons 2nd Gen, grandsons, 3rd Gen.

Depending on their nationality and (Americanized) culture, all three generations c/b found cruising the avenues, in expensive 'detalied' cars, profiling at the local cafes and clubs. With Asians, it tends to be the very young. Some get their cars and capability to profile, as **rewards** from their, prosperous *professional* parents, for doing well and achieving in school.

In addition, unlike in American culture, both Asian and (Eastern) Euro culture requires that the children remain in the home until they marry. This allows these 2nd/3rd Generations to have significant disposable income no matter what they do for a living.

In Astoria, for example, with American prosperity, these kids compete with each other (and for girls) as to the hottest cars. I know for a fact, Asians are very much into cars!! Profiling '"rice rockets" all weekend.

Many young people *think* looking and acting like "thugs" is cool. Does that make them thugs? No.

You and the OP provide perfect example of how cone an be perceived by the way they dress and act, even when the perception is false!

Are there Asian (immigrant) gangsters, absolutely! Are there Euro gangsters in Astoria, yup! Yet to know who is who and what is what takes a greater affinity than either you or the OP are demonstrating!

Muscle shirts are indicative of a shallow mindset focused on physical appearance, common to many,but it is not a symbol of gangsterism.

Pure stereotyping w/o *knowing* anything!

As a NYer I cannot imagine moving to any NYC neighborhood w/o quickly determing how things *lie*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I have already stated there are plenty of wannabes in these crowds, but at least a few of them arent living off their parents. And I dont see what other kinds of day jobs these asians catz could possibly have with those hair cuts that look like peacock plumage.

Now I am not imagining these persons as some HK gangsta movie Chow Yun Fat, Jackie Chan homeboys. They are, some, probably engaged in some low level illicit activity like selling small quantities of narcotics, or involved in obtaining those pirated movies you see those chinese ladies sell out of their handbags in the fast food restaurants. And dont mean like they do in the movies.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 04-18-2013 at 10:11 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 08:00 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have already stated there are plenty of wannabes in these crowds, but at least a few of them arent living off their parents. And I dont see what other kinds of day jobs these asians catz could possibly have with those hair cuts that look like peacock plumage.

Now I am not imagining these persons as some HK gangsta movie Chow Yun Fat, Jackie Chan homeboys. They are, some, probably engaged in some low level illicit activity like selling small quantities of narcotics, or involved in obtaining those pirated movies you see those chinese ladies sell out of their handbags in the fast food restaurants. And dont mean like they do in the movies.
Don't forget about massage parlors that offer "extra services", Ilegal (or at least shady) transportation services, human trafficking, etc...

It's funny how this hood JC, loves to stereotype about 'real new yorkers' and 'transplants' but is quick to scream 'prejudice' when somebody else does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City