Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,809,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It's called experience such as commuting through a neighborhood every single day for an extended period of time. And even if new people do not necessarily live there, it is a start. At least more people are willing to travel through the area adding to its daily diversity makeup, which face it, the area could use. Whether it's people taking the subway to connect to the airtrain, or people driving to go shop at target or babies r us, or even the random hipster that may have fell asleep on the train, many of these people were not venturing to or through ENY prior to certain investments.
And I for about a year regularly took the A train through that area. And I know a lot of hipsters. That was my social scene in NYC. (And I know my share of scammers too). Brownsville and ENY have a bad reputation among them. No one with money goes to those places. The person who moves into those places is either minimum wage or on welfare.

Newsflash, not all whites are wealthy.

The original Lower East Side/East Village seen was full of drug addicted whites on welfare who called themselves artists. When the Lower East Side/East Village actually began gentrifying in the 90s, that scene moved over to Williamsburg. Only Williamsburg got a lot of corporate/high end investment. So the addicted/welfare whites moved into Bedstuy and Bushwick. Only realtors pumped lots of money into those neighborhoods, so they became too expensive for welfare recipients/starving artists. So now this riff raff moves into Brownsville and ENY, where the city has been concentrating the worst people for decades.

Areas like the Lower East Side/East Village didn't truly change until developers tore down many tenements and replaced them with luxury housing/condos. Or they purchased and renovated existing units. Williamsburg had a lot of crime and break ins in the early 2000s (my friends were living there then) until a lot of buildings were either torn down or renovated into luxury housing.

The real estate industry did use the popularity that the drug addicts/starving artists gave certain neighborhoods as free marketing, until it was ready to make major investments and get rid of them. But it remains to be seen if the real estate industry is going to put substantial sums of money in Brownsville and ENY. This could be just the riff raff that was forced out of Bedstuy and Bushwick.

For the last time, even a hip looking white person is not necessarily a person with money or a job or a trust fund. And the ones with money tend to be a lot more concerned about safety. Every since the 90s, the artists/hipsters have been my SOCIAL SCENE in NY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 AM

33,334 posts, read 46,774,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I actually KNOW both legitimate hipsters and scammers.

You do have whites on welfare that dye their hair, mind you. You even have alleged white artists on welfare. Any white person moving into Brownsville is either on welfare or minimum wage. No white person with money is moving that far out, when they can rent a room in a nicer part of Brooklyn (the Rockaways are different, that's beachfront area).

When I lived in Wakefield, btw, I sometimes saw white people get off the train. Big deal, Wakefield is decades away from gentrification. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of nice homes in the area, but the apartment buildings are ****ty as ever and there is no great influx of whites.

Back to Brownsville, it is is absolutely no danger of becoming the next Williamsburg. Its not even in danger of becoming the next Bedstuy (Bedstuy had a lot of nice brownstones and Western Bedstuy didn't have too many projects, making it a lot more desirable). Plus Bedstuy bordered Williamsburg and isn't too far from Manhattan (ditto Bushwick).

Brownsville has too many negatives, including the highest crime rate in the city (along with the South Bronx).
I never said it was in danger of becoming the next Williamsburg...I simply stated that I've started seeing them get off at Broadway Junction, and have been seeing them get off on Ralph Avenue and Rockaway Avenue for some time...I don't know how long you've lived in the city, but I've lived here my whole life (32 years) and I remember when no white people would get off on any of those stops, even in the daytime. So I don't know why you're projecting that way. Show me where my responses in this thread indicated that Brownsville was getting shiny glass condos. Smh.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,244,321 times
Nywriterdude, Why you trying to turn another thread into one about race? Brownsville and ENY could use more poor white people to add to its diversity. Maybe some poor Asian immigrants too, which you'll see a lot of them encroaching in from Ozone Park/Woodhaven. It should not be for only poor blacks and Hispanics.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 AM

33,334 posts, read 46,774,611 times
Quote:
And I for about a year regularly took the A train through that area. And I know a lot of hipsters. That was my social scene in NYC. (And I know my share of scammers too). Brownsville and ENY have a bad reputation among them. No one with money goes to those places. The person who moves into those places is either minimum wage or on welfare.

Newsflash, not all whites are wealthy.

The original Lower East Side/East Village seen was full of drug addicted whites on welfare who called themselves artists. When the Lower East Side/East Village actually began gentrifying in the 90s, that scene moved over to Williamsburg. Only Williamsburg got a lot of corporate/high end investment. So the addicted/welfare whites moved into Bedstuy and Bushwick. Only realtors pumped lots of money into those neighborhoods, so they became too expensive for welfare recipients/starving artists. So now this riff raff moves into Brownsville and ENY, where the city has been concentrating the worst people for decades.

Areas like the Lower East Side/East Village didn't truly change until developers tore down many tenements and replaced them with luxury housing/condos. Or they purchased and renovated existing units. Williamsburg had a lot of crime and break ins in the early 2000s (my friends were living there then) until a lot of buildings were either torn down or renovated into luxury housing.

The real estate industry did use the popularity that the drug addicts/starving artists gave certain neighborhoods as free marketing, until it was ready to make major investments and get rid of them. But it remains to be seen if the real estate industry is going to put substantial sums of money in Brownsville and ENY. This could be just the riff raff that was forced out of Bedstuy and Bushwick.

For the last time, even a hip looking white person is not necessarily a person with money or a job or a trust fund. And the ones with money tend to be a lot more concerned about safety. Every since the 90s, the artists/hipsters have been my SOCIAL SCENE in NY!
We're aware that there are rich yuppies, middle-class hipsters and poor hipsters. And they all live where they can afford. Once the neighborhood gets built up, that when you see the people with real money arrive; we all know what gentrification is. Very rare for somebody making good coin to move to a poor area. The first newcomers to an un-gentrified area are usually broke themselves. Maybe Harlem could be an exception to this rule, but otherwise that's what I think.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
And I for about a year regularly took the A train through that area.
It takes a lot more than a year to notice any change. It takes a lifetime. I grew up taking the J/Z. Always thought of it as the most ghetto train out there. Now I think its the best. And its not because I'm no longer the only white dude on it, because for the most part I still am.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 AM

675 posts, read 1,250,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
They go to North Bronx, South East Brooklyn, and certain parts of Queens. They do go to Long Island to.

You will start to see them shift into areas like Canarse, Flatlands, and southern parts of ENY in Brooklyn. I also heard that some are moving to areas like Springfield gardens in Queens.
I disagree, most move Down South or into mini-hood small towns in Upstate NY, Eastern Pennsylvania and Southern CT

Old 11-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Nywriterdude, Why you trying to turn another thread into one about race? Brownsville and ENY could use more poor white people to add to its diversity. Maybe some poor Asian immigrants too, which you'll see a lot of them encroaching in from Ozone Park/Woodhaven. It should not be for only poor blacks and Hispanics.
Fine, let poor whites and Asians move there. I hope they enjoy dodging bullets.

And I did not turn this into race per say. If I didn't know the area and New York, and just casually looked at some posts here, I might think that the sight of whites in Brownsville meant gentrification. It does not. The area is dangerous, full of housing projects, and it as ****ty as ever. The whites moving in are low income/welfare types. People on this thread seem to imply that once a couple of whites are seen, the next thing you know will there will be Starbucks everywhere. Not happening any time soon in Brownsville.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
It takes a lot more than a year to notice any change. It takes a lifetime. I grew up taking the J/Z. Always thought of it as the most ghetto train out there. Now I think its the best. And its not because I'm no longer the only white dude on it, because for the most part I still am.
Oh yes, they got rid of the r40s and r42s and replaced them with nice r160s on the J/Z. That's the big change on those trains.

Going through those neighborhoods, the police began doing frequent patrols of the A train at night . Yes, the NYPD decided to dedicate cops to the A train (not sure of the J and Z) train, because it goes through such BAD neighborhoods.

A few broke whites moving into these areas don't magically transform them. They are as crappy as ever.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Fine, let poor whites and Asians move there. I hope they enjoy dodging bullets.

And I did not turn this into race per say. If I didn't know the area and New York, and just casually looked at some posts here, I might think that the sight of whites in Brownsville meant gentrification. It does not. The area is dangerous, full of housing projects, and it as ****ty as ever. The whites moving in are low income/welfare types. People on this thread seem to imply that once a couple of whites are seen, the next thing you know will there will be Starbucks everywhere. Not happening any time soon in Brownsville.
Yes, Brownsville is a lost cause, too manufactured. ENY is a large area, like Bushwick, so depends. There is Starbucks at gateway plaza.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
A few broke whites moving into these areas don't magically transform them. They are as crappy as ever.
It won't, but like I said, it's a start. At a minimum it would show that the area wasn't created as a place to house a specific poor demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City