Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:44 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times

Advertisements

So like many I am having an issue with my upstairs neighbor. I know this topic has been talked about before. My issue is between the hours of Midnight and 4am. He comes home sometime around 10-11pm and then stays up till 4am. During that time we walking around his apartment and bang things and just isn't very considerate. Yes its a older building with wood squeaky floors but we moves around so forceful it shake my apartment. I try to be in bed by midnight if not before. I use a sound machine and ear plugs but I still get woken up several time a night. Many times I half wake up and yell out "shut up" or "I'm trying to sleep please be considerate". I have tried the broom, he only stomps back. Moving is not an option for me and something must be done so do I leave a letter, talk to him directly, talk to my super, talk to the management company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 03:05 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
What neighborhood is this?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
You're right, this comes up constantly. So the question is - did you bother to do a search of all the previous advice? Because I'm sure we'll all say the same things.

It sounds as if you've already worsened your situation by your own bad reaction. Did you really think yelling "Shut up!" would solve the problem?

The thing to do - or the thing to have done - would be to start with a polite letter, which I think is better than talking directly. Presumably your building has some kind of rules about carpeting, so remind him of that, and that sound carries more than he probably realizes.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:55 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Have you considering threatening him with violence

Old 04-21-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You're right, this comes up constantly. So the question is - did you bother to do a search of all the previous advice? Because I'm sure we'll all say the same things.

It sounds as if you've already worsened your situation by your own bad reaction. Did you really think yelling "Shut up!" would solve the problem?

The thing to do - or the thing to have done - would be to start with a polite letter, which I think is better than talking directly. Presumably your building has some kind of rules about carpeting, so remind him of that, and that sound carries more than he probably realizes.
Yup I read the other threads.
Yelling shut up does make him quiet down some .

Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Have you considering threatening him with violence
Nah, not my style. I just want to sleep.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,885 times
I've been on the other side of this issue before- my downstairs neighbor used to complain CONSTANTLY. Problem is, all I was doing literally was walking around my apartment with slippers on. Sometimes the older buildings are so bad with sound transmission that no matter how conscious and careful you are there is little you can do. I can tell you this much- my downstairs neighbor used to knock on his ceiling with a broom. In my opinion there is nothing more rude and obnoxious that you could possibly do. Understand that as much as you are annoyed by your neighbor, he/she is simply living their life. Screaming and yelling and banging on their floor is so rude and inconsiderate, just like you think they are rude and inconsiderate by making noise and disrupting you. Your only bet is to knock on the door, apologize for how poorly you have been handling it and explain the situation. Ask that they try to be more careful because you go to bed early. Hostility and anger will get you nowhere near as far as kindness and mature discussion.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
Best thing to do is make friends. If you make an enemy out of him he will only get worse. If this person becomes your friend he will think twice before disturbing you. consideration is a two way street. Next time you see him make some small talk, offer him a tall can and sit out on the stoop. Then when you hear footsteps again you will not sweat it, it is just your friend walking around upstairs.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Unfortunetely in older buildings there really isnt much you can do. It is nice when the top floor person is considerate, but also, not everyone has the 9-5 work schedule, thus going to bed at 11.....

I have a teen boy bedroom next to mine, there are times he bangs forever, we just let him know the next day, try to keep it down. he always appologises, and they are a nice family....but then after 3 months he acts up, and we remind him.....

and the sad thing is, all this kid is going is life, opening closets, drawers, walking....the sound transmits, there really is not much that can be done.

fortunetely, they are a nice family so I pay it no mind, but my partner goes to bed early and it drives him nuts....

Old 04-21-2013, 05:22 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
Your neighbor is just moving around his apartment and not creating noise intentionally while you on the other hand are creating noise intentionally by yelling/using your broom. Who is in the wrong here? Not everyone works 9-5 in a city that is alive 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: