Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 8,153 times

Advertisements

Hello.
My husband and I will be moving from San Diego to NYC end of July/beginning of August. We are not currently expecting, but could be any time soon.

Our budget for monthly rent is $3500 to $4000.
We are looking for 2 bedroom, ideally, (or a convertible 1), but recognize it is more likely to be a 1 bedroom.
In unit washer/dryer, doorman and gym are optimal.
Nearby restaurants and supermarkets, (a couple blocks walk is fine).
Nearby transit, closer the better.

So far we have found that the best areas that suit our lifestyle needs are parts of the UWS, (areas closer to Lincoln Center), Tribeca and northern parts of FiDi.

Are there any neighborhoods that we're overlooking? Any specific suggestions for buildings? Please ask me questions, too, as I am sure we haven't thought of everything yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Please, please, please help us!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:26 PM

345 posts, read 853,245 times
I think you're on track with the UWS. The lincoln square area is okay, but I wouldn't hesitate to go a little higher, maybe up to 96th street. You'll be between Central Park and Riverside park. Good public schools in the area. Great transportation and good restaurants.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
You should forget about having an in-unit washer and dryer. Those are very rare in Manhattan. Most people will take their laundry to facilities in the building or drop it off at the local laundromat and have it delivered back to them -- or do it themselves, of course.

An why not the Upper East Side? You have the budget to get a nice place there, especially east of Lexington Ave., where the vibe is more democratic and middle-class than it is in the elite multi-million dollar co-ops along Fifth, Park and Madison Aves. All the amenities you could want, child-friendly, safe, clean, and as long as you stay away from 2nd ave (where the subway construction is) its similar in feel to the Lincoln Center area. There are many post-war buildings with doorman, gyms, and a good broker would help you find one. Plenty of buses on the major avenues and the Lexington Ave subway too. The downside of the UES transportation-wise is that there is only one subway line, as opposed to two on the UWS.

Also, where are you or hubby working? That is a big determinant of where you might choose to live.

Last edited by citylove101; 04-24-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 04:21 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,858 times
There is nowhere near enough detail here. What OP describes fits tons of neighborhoods.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 AM

Well, thank you all for the information.

@ JD10025: Thanks for the tip for the UWS. I'll take a closer look using 96 street as a parameter.

@ Citylove101: Through my original searches, all I could find were buildings with laundry facilities ONLY. Then I started to look at new buildings and found a few that had in unit w/d. So, it's ideal, but not a deal breaker.
The UES was an issue because of transportation, I heard it was a nightmare to land the perfect location with all the amenities you want. I also heard that it is dead at night and feels more residential, which is alright with me, but my husband is all about a little bit of activity going on in the streets at all times. Finding a balance of both would be best, so that's how we got to Tribeca and UWS. Thoughts?
I will be transferring with my current company, Anthropologie, and my husband will continue to work for his current company remotely. He will be pursuing another job after we re-locate, in the IT business in the world of developer/project manager. Anthropolgies are located in SoHo, 5th (b/w 16th and 17th), Rock Center, and Chelsea. One is opening up in Brooklyn, as well. But we do not want to move to Brooklyn. We want to be in Manhattan.

@ crescent22: what more do you want? I knew more detail would be useful, I just don't know what exactly. The fact that it fits tons of neighborhoods is great though, so I'd be interested in the list. Further information: safety is the #1 priority. Easy walking to everything, but particularly transportation, restaurants and grocery stores. A family feel, but not a settled and ready for the 'burbs feel. I am 28 and my husband 34 and want to be surrounded by similar age groups, but not a requirement, again. My husband is extremely picky when it comes to fixtures in a place. I would take a pre-war or post-war building with updates from the early 2000's and he is looking for the stainless steel fixtures, updated bathroom, granite countertops, etc. With this comes higher costs, of course and he is willing to consider lesser high-end fixtures if we still get the amenities, (i.e. gym, doorman, laundry on site, and a modern-ish feel to it), but pay much less.

We were also trying really hard to avoid using a broker.

We are also going to be traveling back in May and only have 3 days there to search around the areas we narrow it down to, so we wanted to have a good grasp on what those were, the buildings we'd be going to and maximize our time there.

Any other questions I can answer that would help you, help me??

Thank you all again, so much appreciated.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:45 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You should forget about having an in-unit washer and dryer. Those are very rare in Manhattan......
Not sure about that. I know a lot of people who have washers and dryers in their apartments.Probably about 50 %.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,144 times
I live in the soho / nolita area and absolutely love it. I think it would be a great fit for you. I live on the corner of Mulberry and Houston and within one block there is the 6 train and f/v. You would be right by the store in soho and can easily walk up broadway to take a three minute bus to the 5th ave store.

It has a very neighborhood feel vs. the commercial feel of above 14th street. There are several great no fee buildings in the area.

Check
Windsor Properties - we live here, it is a huge alcove studio for $3000, but we have a huge outdoor patio off of our kitchen. 1 BR's that would be convertible I believe start in your lower price range. They have two properties on houston and mulberry
Manhattan skyline mgmt - they managed soho court which is on elizabeth and houston. Great building, very large 1br can be had for ~$3400. They also have another building called soho mews which is on sullivan street, closer to tribeca, and is better priced.
Abington Properties - they have a property on 50 prince street and houston and mott street.

check the website for all of these properties. They are all within a five block radius of each other in an amazing neighborhood. My gf and I are 31 and 30 and absolutely love the area. All I listed are no-fee management companies. You are steps to soho but elizabeth, mott, and mulberry streets provide a great neighborhood feel, i.e. outdoor cafes, several gyms, etc. There is also a whole foods on houston and bowery (two blocks away) and the neighborhood is largely made up of late 20's early to mid 30's.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready4city View Post
Hello.
My husband and I will be moving from San Diego to NYC end of July/beginning of August. We are not currently expecting, but could be any time soon.

Our budget for monthly rent is $3500 to $4000.
We are looking for 2 bedroom, ideally, (or a convertible 1), but recognize it is more likely to be a 1 bedroom.
In unit washer/dryer, doorman and gym are optimal.
Nearby restaurants and supermarkets, (a couple blocks walk is fine).
Nearby transit, closer the better.

So far we have found that the best areas that suit our lifestyle needs are parts of the UWS, (areas closer to Lincoln Center), Tribeca and northern parts of FiDi.

Are there any neighborhoods that we're overlooking? Any specific suggestions for buildings? Please ask me questions, too, as I am sure we haven't thought of everything yet.
You guys have a good budget and not a specific requests so it's pretty much generic. In return, what you are going to get is that most neighborhood in the NYC will fit your need. As for washer/dryer, many if not most luxury units have them inside for 1bedroom.

Based on your post, I assume you are looking only in Manhattan but clarifying that probably help some posters to point you to right direction because NYC is five boroughs in total (Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, State Island, Manhattan) and that is tons of neighborhoods.

Personally I think some locations in Brooklyn such as Brooklyn Heights would be good fit. It's quiet, more family friendly, got some parks nearby (nice ones too like Brooklyn Bridge Park), and good transit. Upper East side is nice too, you usually get more room for your dollar there. Hunters Points in Long Island City in Queens is good too.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,858 times
You probably should get a big 1-bed in the trendy areas downtown. Trade size (which seems like it is sacrificable by your words) for hood and modernity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: