Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 AM

4 posts, read 4,789 times

Advertisements

--waiting on military orders to process (2-3 months)
--traveled to NYC several times recently
--rent ceiling : $3200/month for 2-3 months.

contemplating: Murray Hill, West/East Village, Midtown East
not too fond off: UES, Brooklyn (although nice ppl from both)
wants/needs: good food, places to run/jog, "cool" people to talk with (smart, funny, nice, etc.)

Suggestions please? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 AM

EDIT:
What about Williamsburg or "cool/nice" parts of Brooklyn? I guess my "bad" image of Brooklyn stems from a ~3am visit with friends to Williamsburg...

Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Your rent ceiling is $3200 per month for 2-3 months? Or $3200 for the entire time -- which means that if it's three months, you only have about $1000 a month?

If you only have $1000, you will not be able to get your own place, and even with roommates you will not be able to get a room for that in most Manhattan neighborhoods, as 2-bedrooms cost more than $2000.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM

it's $3200 per month for 2-3 months. that means $3200 x 3 for 3 months.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne209 View Post
it's $3200 per month for 2-3 months. that means $3200 x 3 for 3 months.
If you are here for just 3 months why would you want to through that much money away on rent?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:43 PM

it's just my "ceiling" on how much i would be willing to pay for rent.

...because typically i live in "crappy," cubicles. i'd like to live in a nice area, where i can walk around and enjoy the view, in a 1 BR, furnished place.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne209 View Post
it's just my "ceiling" on how much i would be willing to pay for rent.

...because typically i live in "crappy," cubicles. i'd like to live in a nice area, where i can walk around and enjoy the view, in a 1 BR, furnished place.
Ok got it. I think you would like around the West Village then. Very walkable, nice views from the piers and many good dining establishments in the general area.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 PM

37 posts, read 63,899 times
The West village is excellent. Try to live to the west of 7th street if possible, as it is a bit nicer and quieter over on that side.

pros-
- You also have access to some beautiful jogging trails along the Hudson river
- There is an abundance of good restaurants and bars
- plenty of mid twenties - thirties successful people
- Can walk to nearly anything downtown that you might want to go to

cons -
High rent relative to what you get (apartments tend to be small and old) .... that is pretty much the only Con

Regarding Williamsburg -

It is a good option, just a quick hop on the L over to Manhattan- with quite a bit going on in Williamsburg around Bedford street. Definitely more 'hip' than anything in Manhattan.

You should also consider these 'Nabes

Soho
TriCeCa
Nolita
East Village
Dumbo (Brooklyn- pretty upscale & popular with young successful singles, esp. people working in Tech)
Nolita
and Gramercy - (pretty quite neighborhood, but still downtown)

Nice neighborhoods that are a bit cheaper but still downtownish

Chelsea
East Village
Murrary Hill

Also, if you want to live in a modern apartment, Hell's Kitchen has an abundance of new, large, luxury apartment buildings with all kinds of amenities that you won't find in other neighborhoods like Soho or the West Village- so that could be an option as well. There are also plenty of restaurants and bars- although admittedly not as many 'cool' ones as you will find downtown.

Hope that helps -

For more info you can check my profile for a link to a website that I am putting together for people moving to the city

Cheers!

Peter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: