Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM

191 posts, read 900,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I am sure you can find deals in Brooklyn. The borough also has good dog friendly neighborhoods. So I am sure you will find a place that accepts dogs. You should travel first before you move here and visit these neighborhoods. Places like Park Slope, Carrol Gardens, Cobble Hill and Brooklyn Heights and any other streets in closer neighborhoods that are closer to these good neighborhoods will be the best places to look for spacious apartments.
apartments, yes, good highschools? negative.
Theres nothing a brooklyn highschool boy would like more than a nice cornfed farm girl that can dance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 07:39 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,647 times
I hope you won't mind me saying this, but... I hope that you are not moving to New York only because your daughter is homesick. Give her some more time, she might feel different in a couple of months. And how does your other daughter feel about this move? What if she gets homesick in New York? Or gets into the wrong school and wrong crowds. 14 is a tough age even if you are an excellent student. And with a budget of $2000-3000 and all the animals it might be quite difficult to find a perfect place.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:56 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmj View Post
I do not live in the city but I am on here researching myself. I would however like to throw in my 2 cents. Have you considered that your daughter moved away from Kansas for a reason? Even though she's homesick maybe the last thing she would want is to have her Mother follow her across the country.

Also, and I'll admit I'm jumping to conclusions, if you are willing to just 'get rid' of all those animals than in my opinion you need to check yourself. Much like I am doing now while writing this and thinking about a grown woman giving her pets away.
I had a similar gut reaction. Of course I don't know any of the players involved or the family finances, etc., or how the other child feels about being taken away from his/her school and moved across the country. Maybe that child will start feeling homesick for his/her friends.

I also think it's odd to start giving away family pets. And this is all because the older child is homesick and can't manage to stay in school? Maybe this daughter should take a leave of absence for awhile, come home and get a job nearby til she is ready to go out on her own. Or maybe she should transer to an art school nearby like the Kansas City Art Istitute, which has just as good a reputation as Parsons. She can always move to NYC afterwards for graduate school or for a job.

I also see that you say "I" can't let her give up her dream. Has she asked you to uproot the family and give away the pets to come to her? Have you asked what she thinks of this idea? This might make her feel guilty, especially if things don't go smoothly (a very real possibility) or if her younger sibling comes and is very unhappy in the new school.

Also, does leaving Parsons equate 'giving up one's dream'? I have a teenage relative who went away to a very good college at age 18 and even though she is extremely smart (this is a kid who got perfect 800s on the SATs) she failed her first semester and her mother had to remove her from the school and bring her home. She returned home and worked at her father's place of employment for awhile, helped take care of the younger kids and took some classes at the local university. After that she entered fulltime at this local university (the honors program) and is studying physics and is very happy and well-adjusted. Is the local university the same calibre as the first one she got into? No. Does that mean she gave up her dream? No.

Just my two cents from a stranger who doesn't know the whole situation, so take it with a grain or salt. Just my gut feeling.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM

101 posts, read 300,757 times
I think its a wonderful 'excuse' to move out of middle america and come to NYC! That is if . . you come with a fresh start for yourself and your younger daughter. that could put quite alot of guilt on a kid to uproot the whole family. Just my opinion

Old 11-06-2007, 09:37 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,406 times
I hope it all works out for the best, but I kinda understand what the others above are saying. Have you already discussed with the younger daughter what she will think of the move or are you the only one who wants to do this? I'm sure your older daughter is a strong young lady and will hopefully soon adjust. Although you are the adult making the decisions, I just think it would be horrible to uproot a young, impressionable girl unless she is completely okay with it when in the end your older daughter may come around.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleSoul View Post
Hi, I'm a single mom moving from Kansas to New York. I'm probably crazy to think I can do this alone but I have faith that somehow everything will work out. My daughter received a scholarship from Parson's and has been living in Manhattan since August. She loves the school and the city but is too homesick to stay. I can't let her give up her dream so I'm going to move to NY in December. I would be grateful for any advice from the east coast gentle souls. The specifics:

There will be 3 of us. I have another daughter, 14 years old, excellent student and dancer. The area highschools will be important.

We have 3 small dogs, (under 5 lbs each), one big dog (200 lbs) and three cats which probably will make renting hard or impossible. If I have to, I can give up all but the 3 small dogs.

My daughter is willing to commute to Parsons 1 hour.

I'm already paying $2,000.00 a month for her housing in Manhattan so anything between $2,000 to $3,000 a month for all of us would be a bargain.

I've researched buying and/or renting on the internet and it is discouraging. I don't know where to start so I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!
FOR LESS THAN $3,000 per month she can rent a house in Staten Island, NY, which is about one hour to Parsons via the free SIRT, and the ferry, in a very good area, and still be able to keep all her animals. Get in touch with a realtor. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:30 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
I used to be an advisor at Parsons and I can say from experience that you need to let your daughter be homesick. Don't become what college advisors call a "helicopter parent." Moving away from home is part of becoming an adult. Don't take that away from your daughter.

The workload at Parsons is insane. I think your daughter will be very unhappy if she added two hours of commuting to her days.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:13 AM

706 posts, read 3,763,709 times
Perhaps you can rent a home in Queens.

It seem that you would need an entire home with all of those pets.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:34 PM

173 posts, read 460,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmj View Post
I do not live in the city but I am on here researching myself. I would however like to throw in my 2 cents. Have you considered that your daughter moved away from Kansas for a reason? Even though she's homesick maybe the last thing she would want is to have her Mother follow her across the country.

Also, and I'll admit I'm jumping to conclusions, if you are willing to just 'get rid' of all those animals than in my opinion you need to check yourself. Much like I am doing now while writing this and thinking about a grown woman giving her pets away.

Hmmm, well I don't mean to be presumptuous, but do you have this lady's daughter's feelings toward her confused with your feelings toward your own mother?

Believe it or not some adult children are very close to and do want to be near their parents.

And as far as her pets are concerned, do you really think her pets should be more important to her than her child? To the point that she should rather keep them and give up the child?

Honestly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City