Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,697 times

Advertisements

I understand that the hipster "epidemic" has been occurring across the us over the past decade or so. The purpose of this thread is not to deny or promote that claim but rather to question the degree of this so called "epidemic." I am curious about this because while others bemoan about how hipsters are infesting their neighborhood and causing gentrification, others (myself included) very very rarely encounter these types of people.
I am eighteen years old and currently live in south Florida, and, like I said, I barely run into anyone that doesn't fit into generic south florida stereotypes, especially in my age group. I would venture to guess that people from other areas have had a similar experience with their demographic, even in major metro areas. While people talk about hipsters being prevelant in New York, I must say that through my limited experience of traveling to the city and attending music venues, I have seen a few hipsters but also a fair amount of bros, preppy girls, etc. I was wondering what the local perspective was on this topic because I obviously cannot speak for the area. Furthermore, my theory is that the hipsters that do exist tend to make their preference very clear and have a distinct style, which makes their presence seem more prevelant. I think the actual ratio of hipsters to other types of people is low, but the people who do identify as hipsters tend to draw attention to themselves. What are your thoughts and opinions on this issue? I posted this same thread in the us forum but wanted to run it by the nyc forum because that is where the epedemic seems to be the most prevelant.

Last edited by Rcsligar; 04-30-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times
1. South Florida is very different from NYC so understandably you do not see the same trends
2. I wouldn't call most hipsters "in your face pretentious" as you put it though some certainly are and can distort the definition of what makes a hipster
3. They tend to live in certain neighborhoods (Williamsburg/Buckwick for example)
4. In my experience, natives find annoyance most commonly from the pricing out of neighborhoods due to the influx of these people rather than their personal habits
5. I do find them prominent, particularly in certain neighborhoods
6. I personally tend to find amusement in the hipster culture and enjoy the jests about it in shows like Portlandia.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
^^^

I don't think you wont encounter Hipsters in Suburban South Florida but you will counter mostly obnoxious New Yorkers from Bronx and Brooklyn living it up in Paradise!

I noticed hipsters back in 2006 when the Goth/Punk subculture became less and less relevant, especially with the closing of CBGBS in the East Village. Hipsters are very prevalent in NYC Here are the hoods that you will find Hipsters by casual walking, in the Bronx Mott Haven, Port Morris and Yankee Stadium area to a lesser extent. In Manhattan Washington Heights, Harlem, East Harlem, Morning Side Heights, in all the neighborhoods south of 14 street to Canal Street. In Queens I observed Hipsters in Astoria, Long Island City and in Sunnyside. Williamsburg like the East Village in Manhattan is "ground zero" for hipsters. Take the L train from 14th street Union Square and you will see funky looking people who looked like they sky dived into NYC playing around with their iphones with weird Midwestern accents. Hipsters can also be found in Greenpoint Brooklyn, Bushwick aka Shwick by hipsters, Bedstuy, Fort Green, lesser extent Dumbo and Parkslope which are Yuppie, Sunset Park, Crown Heights, Prospect Heights and Red Hook. I'm not sure about Staten Island I have not visited that borough in five years. Hipsters what can I say are very Narcissitic, self entitled, want what's best and all about me, they live life with irony and sometimes with regret not being raised in an urban environment. Some are pretentious as well as classist at times. Some Hipsters are well educated, while others are not but well versed in certain topics and fields like Liberal Arts! Some Hipsters are well off while others are not and tend to make money off of freelance work like photography or music. Some Hipsters are even homeless and make up a fairshare of NYC homeless population as of lately. LIke I said before Hipster counter subculture is probably at its half life and will fade out within the next few years when much of the Millennial generation mature and opt out of NYC to raise a family bringing to an end of their urban adventure. We went from Beatniks, to Hippies, to Punks, Goths, Hipsters I wonder what the next counter subculture will be like when I visit the East Village in the year 2020?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I understand that the hipster "epidemic" has been occurring across the us over the past decade or so. The purpose of this thread is not to deny or promote that claim but rather to question the degree of this so called "epidemic." I am curious about this because while others bemoan about how hipsters are infesting their neighborhood and causing gentrification, others (myself included) very very rarely encounter these types of people.
I am eighteen years old and currently live in south Florida, and, like I said, I barely run into anyone that doesn't fit into generic south florida stereotypes, especially in my age group. I would venture to guess that people from other areas have had a similar experience with their demographic, even in major metro areas. While people talk about hipsters being prevelant in New York, I must say that through my limited experience of traveling to the city and attending music venues, I have seen a few hipsters but also a fair amount of bros, preppy girls, etc. I was wondering what the local perspective was on this topic because I obviously cannot speak for the area. Furthermore, my theory is that the hipsters that do exist tend to be quite pretentious and in your face about it, which makes their presence seem more prevelant. I think the actual ratio of hipsters to other types of people is low, but the people who do identify as hipsters tend to draw attention to themselves. What are your thoughts and opinions on this issue? I posted this same thread in the us forum but wanted to run it by the nyc forum because that is where the epedemic seems to be the most prevelant.
mc has given you one perspective of hipsters in NYC... I'll attempt to give you the other... I will agree that the hype is definitely overblown and in many cases what causes this exaggeration is mainly due to real-estate/gentrification purposes... This is the reason why natives who live in these areas and are getting priced out get annoyed by hipsters... It has nothing to do with them actually having the money to price out locals because the reality is that in many cases, hipsters alone do not make more than the average joe...

That being said, if you do go to certain areas... Hipsters are definitely there in large numbers... Areas like Williamsburg/East Williamsburg/western Bed-stuy/sections of crown heights/fort greene/Clinton Hill/sections of Harlem/LES/

There are also neighborhoods that do have a hipster presence but it isn't as concentrated as the other areas previously mentioned... Areas like Bushwick for example have been completely and utterly overblown in terms of the hipster presence... People always claim it as arguably the second largest area for hipsters when the reality is that other than a very miniscule part of the area that was originally industrial and had no occupants, there presence is isolated and spread out in the area... And they actually make up a small percentage of the overall population... Probably somewhere around 7-8%...

What also tends to happen is that due to the notion that most of these hipsters are white, they use the overall white population as indicators of change... This same example can be used for Bushwick... For example, due to the fact that Ridgewood borders Bushwick and Ridgewood has always been considered a destination for first generation Europeans and Hispanics you have a solid number of Eastern Europeans (especially Polish/Romanian/Albanian) that live on the borderlines of Ridgewood but are actually in Bushwick... Furthermore, you have another group of old timers who never left the area who also contribute to the white population... Therefore, the white population may be somewhere around 13-14% white but the reality is that a good 6-7% of those don't fit your typical Williamsburg mold...

It is this obsession as you can see from the prevalence of these threads, as well as the pretentiousness and arrogance of a solid few who ruin it for the many that annoy natives such as myself to the point where we rarely if ever choose to deal with these folk... Recently, I have met a few who buck the trend and are relatively down the earth in their own quirky ways so it's definitely not all of them who have this air of superiority but the stereotypes will continue to be discussed at length until those that have these qualities get off their high horse and realize they are no more special, interesting, unique, cool, etc. than anyone else on this planet...

Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times
^^ +1 for both opinions after mine. Well said.

I hope this thread can stay more like this and not turn into an exaggerated anti-transplant thread that goes off on a tangent...

Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
^^^

I don't think you wont encounter Hipsters in Suburban South Florida but you will counter mostly obnoxious New Yorkers from Bronx and Brooklyn living it up in Paradise!

I noticed hipsters back in 2006 when the Goth/Punk subculture became less and less relevant, especially with the closing of CBGBS in the East Village. Hipsters are very prevalent in NYC Here are the hoods that you will find Hipsters by casual walking, in the Bronx Mott Haven, Port Morris and Yankee Stadium area to a lesser extent. In Manhattan Washington Heights, Harlem, East Harlem, Morning Side Heights, in all the neighborhoods south of 14 street to Canal Street. In Queens I observed Hipsters in Astoria, Long Island City and in Sunnyside. Williamsburg like the East Village in Manhattan is "ground zero" for hipsters. Take the L train from 14th street Union Square and you will see funky looking people who looked like they sky dived into NYC playing around with their iphones with weird Midwestern accents. Hipsters can also be found in Greenpoint Brooklyn, Bushwick aka Shwick by hipsters, Bedstuy, Fort Green, lesser extent Dumbo and Parkslope which are Yuppie, Sunset Park, Crown Heights, Prospect Heights and Red Hook. I'm not sure about Staten Island I have not visited that borough in five years. Hipsters what can I say are very Narcissitic, self entitled, want what's best and all about me, they live life with irony and sometimes with regret not being raised in an urban environment. Some are pretentious as well as classist at times. Some Hipsters are well educated, while others are not but well versed in certain topics and fields like Liberal Arts! Some Hipsters are well off while others are not and tend to make money off of freelance work like photography or music. Some Hipsters are even homeless and make up a fairshare of NYC homeless population as of lately. LIke I said before Hipster counter subculture is probably at its half life and will fade out within the next few years when much of the Millennial generation mature and opt out of NYC to raise a family bringing to an end of their urban adventure. We went from Beatniks, to Hippies, to Punks, Goths, Hipsters I wonder what the next counter subculture will be like when I visit the East Village in the year 2020?
Great insight.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
mc has given you one perspective of hipsters in NYC... I'll attempt to give you the other... I will agree that the hype is definitely overblown and in many cases what causes this exaggeration is mainly due to real-estate/gentrification purposes... This is the reason why natives who live in these areas and are getting priced out get annoyed by hipsters... It has nothing to do with them actually having the money to price out locals because the reality is that in many cases, hipsters alone do not make more than the average joe...

That being said, if you do go to certain areas... Hipsters are definitely there in large numbers... Areas like Williamsburg/East Williamsburg/western Bed-stuy/sections of crown heights/fort greene/Clinton Hill/sections of Harlem/LES/

There are also neighborhoods that do have a hipster presence but it isn't as concentrated as the other areas previously mentioned... Areas like Bushwick for example have been completely and utterly overblown in terms of the hipster presence... People always claim it as arguably the second largest area for hipsters when the reality is that other than a very miniscule part of the area that was originally industrial and had no occupants, there presence is isolated and spread out in the area... And they actually make up a small percentage of the overall population... Probably somewhere around 7-8%...

What also tends to happen is that due to the notion that most of these hipsters are white, they use the overall white population as indicators of change... This same example can be used for Bushwick... For example, due to the fact that Ridgewood borders Bushwick and Ridgewood has always been considered a destination for first generation Europeans and Hispanics you have a solid number of Eastern Europeans (especially Polish/Romanian/Albanian) that live on the borderlines of Ridgewood but are actually in Bushwick... Furthermore, you have another group of old timers who never left the area who also contribute to the white population... Therefore, the white population may be somewhere around 13-14% white but the reality is that a good 6-7% of those don't fit your typical Williamsburg mold...

It is this obsession as you can see from the prevalence of these threads, as well as the pretentiousness and arrogance of a solid few who ruin it for the many that annoy natives such as myself to the point where we rarely if ever choose to deal with these folk... Recently, I have met a few who buck the trend and are relatively down the earth in their own quirky ways so it's definitely not all of them who have this air of superiority but the stereotypes will continue to be discussed at length until those that have these qualities get off their high horse and realize they are no more special, interesting, unique, cool, etc. than anyone else on this planet...
Rep

Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
^^^
LIke I said before Hipster counter subculture is probably at its half life and will fade out within the next few years when much of the Millennial generation mature and opt out of NYC to raise a family bringing to an end of their urban adventure. We went from Beatniks, to Hippies, to Punks, Goths, Hipsters I wonder what the next counter subculture will be like when I visit the East Village in the year 2020?
The white birth rate in Manhattan is up, as is Brooklyn, and there are articles and stats to prove it. Many of these people, if they do well in their careers, need to stay in NYC because of work. So they have children in NYC.

Even on this forum, you see some out of towners who get transferred to work in NYC and who have children.

Suburbs does not equal mature anymore than any other place.

And what is suburban anyway? If you needed a house, there are houses in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island. I know people living in brownstones in the West Village and Lower East Side who have backyards. These are all in the city of New York. If you look around, there are houses in Williamsburg, Astoria, Greenpoint,Bushwick,and Bedstuy, cool neighborhoods that have gentrified. The Rockaways, recently promoted by the city, have a lot of nice older houses in parts, plus new developments like Arverne by the Sea.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Please define HIPSTER?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:52 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The white birth rate in Manhattan is up, as is Brooklyn, and there are articles and stats to prove it. Many of these people, if they do well in their careers, need to stay in NYC because of work. So they have children in NYC.

Even on this forum, you see some out of towners who get transferred to work in NYC and who have children.

Suburbs does not equal mature anymore than any other place.

And what is suburban anyway? If you needed a house, there are houses in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island. I know people living in brownstones in the West Village and Lower East Side who have backyards. These are all in the city of New York. If you look around, there are houses in Williamsburg, Astoria, Greenpoint,Bushwick,and Bedstuy, cool neighborhoods that have gentrified. The Rockaways, recently promoted by the city, have a lot of nice older houses in parts, plus new developments like Arverne by the Sea.
NYwriterdude why are you still posting on city-data... Haven't you been exposed for speaking nonsense about six or seven different times... Why are you continuing to spread misinformation... In fact whenever you do get exposed you use such lame excuses such as the case with Harlem Resident when discussing SRO's... Once it was found out you had no idea what you were talking about you chose to deflect similar to the way a child would by saying something to the effect of "well I choose not to obsess over these topics"...

I'm starting to wonder whether there's actually anything your truly knowledgeable about in this city... Because it for sure isn't Bushwick, Bed-stuy, Harlem, South Bronx, Hipsters, Gentrification, SRO's, etc. you're running out of topics to falsely claim you know about... My suggestion to you would be to erase this name... Do some actual research... Actually visit the neighborhoods or the businesses you speak of and come back to us with a different name... There's no way this one can ever be respected on city-data...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City