Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:24 PM

499 posts, read 793,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You are clueless about the suburbs and should not be commenting on them.
Agreed, he just spews mindless generalizations about people and places and presents them as fact. This kind of thinking that categorizes people and places by common stereotypes only serves to divide us more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not sure about that at all.Last time I was in the 711's in Southampton and Sag Harbor they were full of people getting out of Mercedez Benzes,Range Rovers,BMWs,etc.

I think the expansion of 711 is driven by convenience and it seems to appeal to all classes.In many respects 711s are a sign of affluence, especially since almost everything in them is 20% more expensive than the place right next door.Nobody shops at 711 thinking they are getting a deal like at Walmart.
Well, yeah, put a 7-Eleven somewhere where everyone is rich and only rich people will shop there. My point is that the bulk of their customer base is not rich, and they overall skew towards a slightly poorer-than-average customer base. I exaggerated a bit on whether rich people would shop there, too, but certainly you're not going to argue that 7-Eleven is targeted at the wealthy!

Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You are clueless about the suburbs and should not be commenting on them.
And your nuts! I was just saying that some people live in a insular bubble. How is that clueless. What an idiot.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Agreed, he just spews mindless generalizations about people and places and presents them as fact. This kind of thinking that categorizes people and places by common stereotypes only serves to divide us more.
Why are you commenting, aren't you happy in Dixie?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i guess the small storefront owner has to be cut out of the ny economy
to make way for the new immigrant servant class, who will run the franchise
markets for less pay, just like most of the gas stations everywhere.

i swear the good ol' boys has america all figured out.
This is a national trend, and NYC is not immune to what happens in the national economy. Americans like shopping at name brands stores like CVS, Whole Foods, WalMart, Best Buyetc. Its the people, including those in NYC, who are voting with their wallets. Build a new name brand store and people will come. Also, there's ecommerce, as a lot of people around the world order online. Companies like Amazon.com are doing well from online sales.

With that said, you'll always have independent restaurants, bars, cleaners, tailors, and other small businesses. But yes, NYC changes as the world changes economically, politically, socially, and technologically. Some of these changes would have happened regardless of who the mayor is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City