U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 PM

88 posts, read 187,540 times

Advertisements

Hey there, New Yorkers. I'm going to a concert at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn next month. So I'll need to take the PATH from Harrison, NJ to WTC. (From there, I'll take the subway to Barclays.)

I heard that the PATH suffered greatly from the hurricane.

Is the PATH fully up and running again? Has the PATH resumed its 24-hour service?

Thanks everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 PM

510 posts, read 1,384,812 times
First of all, PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ.

Second, you would almost certainly have better luck posting this in a NJ forum- New Yorker's rarely use the PATH. We're already here.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 AM

24,453 posts, read 34,291,044 times
From what I see it is back to normal.
(Of course the 24 hour service means the same old 33rd to Journal Square via Hoboken, and the weekend and night detour from Hoboken to Grove to get to the WTC.)

Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,394,139 times
Unfortunately, I take the PATH frequently for one of my teaching posts.

I think it is considered "fully restored," but service is randomly but too often TERRIBLE. Sometimes a 45-minute wait for a train. If you have a solid deadline for arriving somewhere, I would leave plenty of extra time. If I travel four days in a week, two or three of the days will experience such delays.

The train also stops mid-tunnel, really often, to pick up workers - for ten or so minutes. What a nuisance. This happens both ways.

The PATH and tax inconvenience, New York resident working in New Jersey, are my biggest reasons for likely giving up that post sooner rather than later. And frankly ? The unreliable transportation is the most pressing.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,660,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Unfortunately, I take the PATH frequently for one of my teaching posts.

I think it is considered "fully restored," but service is randomly but too often TERRIBLE. Sometimes a 45-minute wait for a train. If you have a solid deadline for arriving somewhere, I would leave plenty of extra time. If I travel four days in a week, two or three of the days will experience such delays.

The train also stops mid-tunnel, really often, to pick up workers - for ten or so minutes. What a nuisance. This happens both ways.

The PATH and tax inconvenience, New York resident working in New Jersey, are my biggest reasons for likely giving up that post sooner rather than later. And frankly ? The unreliable transportation is the most pressing.
Those incidents are rare and mid tunnel stopping happens on the Subway aswell ,its not unreliable it runs every 15 mins off peak and 2-5 during rush hr....

Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,394,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Those incidents are rare and mid tunnel stopping happens on the Subway aswell ,its not unreliable it runs every 15 mins off peak and 2-5 during rush hr....
I assure everyone that they are not rare at all.
The most annoying thing ...? As everyone waits at 9th street for a Hoboken train and another Journal Square comes and goes, and another, and another, and another - meanwhile, nothing to Hoboken - there are no announcements or advisories at all. None of any kind. Everyone just standing there and waiting.

There was a woman there taking a survey for PATH on one such day, everyone was complaining. She also watched Journal Square train after Journal Square train (all of them empty) arrive and even she finally said, Yeah, that's weird.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 AM

Moving from Jersey City to Manhattan and NEVER needing the PATH train again was reason enough to open a VERY good bottle of chanpagne and celebrate.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM

510 posts, read 2,191,885 times
I went the opposite route from Manhattan to Jersey City last year and I've never been happier with where I lived (and that includes brownstone Brooklyn and the East Village). I won't debate the merits of Jersey City but I do think that the complaints about the PATH are greatly exagerated. I take it every day of the week for commuting and socializing. The stopping in the tunnels is not nearly as bad as the MTA (4/5 train at rush hour anyone?), they have TVs in all stations showing the next scheduled train, are less crowded than many subway lines, and they follow their schedule quite reliably.

I won't pretend the PATH is some panacea but you're comparing it against the MTA which is just as dysfunctional.

*PATH outages do have a much worse affect than the MTA since there are far more limited options for crossing the Hudson. (See last night's outage at rush hour.)

Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 25,660,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I assure everyone that they are not rare at all.
The most annoying thing ...? As everyone waits at 9th street for a Hoboken train and another Journal Square comes and goes, and another, and another, and another - meanwhile, nothing to Hoboken - there are no announcements or advisories at all. None of any kind. Everyone just standing there and waiting.

There was a woman there taking a survey for PATH on one such day, everyone was complaining. She also watched Journal Square train after Journal Square train (all of them empty) arrive and even she finally said, Yeah, that's weird.
Journal SQ sometimes gets priority over Hoboken same with Newark it just so happens there the 2 busiest lines...but the delay is usually 2 mins and the trains during rush hr are all bunched up so your never waiting to long....as the next train is creeping into the station as the other train is departing. Same happens on the Subway and Light Rail networks.... PATH incidents happen once every few months , Subway and Regional Rail incidents happen on a daily basis...and sure both systems are extensive but thats why there are more delays on them....

Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
I went the opposite route from Manhattan to Jersey City last year and I've never been happier with where I lived (and that includes brownstone Brooklyn and the East Village). I won't debate the merits of Jersey City but I do think that the complaints about the PATH are greatly exagerated. I take it every day of the week for commuting and socializing. The stopping in the tunnels is not nearly as bad as the MTA (4/5 train at rush hour anyone?), they have TVs in all stations showing the next scheduled train, are less crowded than many subway lines, and they follow their schedule quite reliably.

I won't pretend the PATH is some panacea but you're comparing it against the MTA which is just as dysfunctional.

*PATH outages do have a much worse affect than the MTA since there are far more limited options for crossing the Hudson. (See last night's outage at rush hour.)

Jeff. after 22 years of beginning EVERY trip and evnding EVERY trip with a PATH ride (after a bus or subway) you may come to agree with me in the joy I feel being free of that goddamn train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City