Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Jeff. after 22 years of beginning EVERY trip and evnding EVERY trip with a PATH ride (after a bus or subway) you may come to agree with me in the joy I feel being free of that goddamn train.
Ha. I very well may. So far I've found the PATH no more and no less miserable than taking the subway for the last decade. I find that an average PATH journey is quieter and there's much less panhandling/eating takeout/people taking up 3 seats/arguing/listening to music on cell phone speakers/etc. than on the MTA. It makes me a bit more forgiving when they do have outages.

I will say, however, that the cattle run that is the Vesey St exit of the WTC stop has to be one of the worst places to be during rush hour in the entire city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 03:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Moving from Jersey City to Manhattan and NEVER needing the PATH train again was reason enough to open a VERY good bottle of chanpagne and celebrate.
Completely agree with the sentiment and I did mean that I will likely abandon this job because of the PATH.

The funny thing ? Whenever the odd glitch days happen, suddenly there are no times posted on the screen. Just a bunch of announcements about the Hoboken elevator being out of order. Or times are posted, train does not come, time suddenly changes.

Completely disagree that MTA trains are more dysfunctional. The PATH is worse, hand down.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I don't trust that little TV thing anymore on the PATH train itself. One day two weeks ago the weather kept reading "72 degrees, beautiful and sunny!" and it was about 15 degrees cooler, windy and overcast. Liars.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Completely agree with the sentiment and I did mean that I will likely abandon this job because of the PATH.

The funny thing ? Whenever the odd glitch days happen, suddenly there are no times posted on the screen. Just a bunch of announcements about the Hoboken elevator being out of order. Or times are posted, train does not come, time suddenly changes.

Completely disagree that MTA trains are more dysfunctional. The PATH is worse, hand down.
The system is tiny and only has a few break downs a year compared to the massive Subway network which has a few shutdowns or diversions a day... Most of the current slow downs are due to signal upgrades and WTC work which should be done by 2016...then theres the ongoing offpeak upgrades like track replacement and station upgrades which means they cut service but at least they do work fast compared to the MTA which takes up to 2 years to renovate or expand certain stations.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The system is tiny and only has a few break downs a year compared to the massive Subway network which has a few shutdowns or diversions a day... Most of the current slow downs are due to signal upgrades and WTC work which should be done by 2016...then theres the ongoing offpeak upgrades like track replacement and station upgrades which means they cut service but at least they do work fast compared to the MTA which takes up to 2 years to renovate or expand certain stations.
Points well taken, but ... people would appreciate knowing ! It is a long enough walk from Newport, but there have been times when I would have been better off, time-wise, taking one of those trains and walking to Hoboken.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
I will say, however, that the cattle run that is the Vesey St exit of the WTC stop has to be one of the worst places to be during rush hour in the entire city.
Oy vey!!! Just dealt with that today. Overall, my experience with the PATH has been pretty good. When it comes to delays and such, I have to agree that there aren't as much interruptions as the MTA. However, mightyqueen81's comment on the TV is true. That thing is not accurate at all when it comes to weather. I remember it was winter & cold as ever and the TV is talking about nice weather with degrees higher than reality...who are you kidding?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City