Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM

30 posts, read 112,860 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Queens/Brooklyn to look for a job in Manhattan. A lot of the companies I am targeting are in mid-town and some are in downtown. I am new to Queens/Brooklyn and my current lease is up in a month. A little about myself and my wishlist are as follow, any advice would be highly appreciated!

1) Single no kid, while school is not of concern, safety is
2) 1 bedroom, 1 to 1.5 bath, max rent $1400/month
3) Near subway stations with less than 30 minutes commute to mid-town manhattan
4) Near parks coz I like running
5) Near a gym so I can take group exercise classes
6) Washer/Dryer in unit or at least has the W/D hookup. Is this too much of a wish within my max rent?

Any idea which cities fits me best in Queens/Brooklyn? Thanks a lot!

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 PM

158 posts, read 138,990 times
Try looking in Forest Hills or Kew Gardens in Queens. They are about 20-25 minutes on E or F express trains to midtown. Forest Park is nearby. The neighborhood of Forest Hills Gardens is also very pleasant place to run or bike.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorlyusa View Post
Hi guys,

I'm moving to Queens/Brooklyn to look for a job in Manhattan. A lot of the companies I am targeting are in mid-town and some are in downtown. I am new to Queens/Brooklyn and my current lease is up in a month. A little about myself and my wishlist are as follow, any advice would be highly appreciated!

1) Single no kid, while school is not of concern, safety is
2) 1 bedroom, 1 to 1.5 bath, max rent $1400/month
3) Near subway stations with less than 30 minutes commute to mid-town manhattan
4) Near parks coz I like running
5) Near a gym so I can take group exercise classes
6) Washer/Dryer in unit or at least has the W/D hookup. Is this too much of a wish within my max rent?

Any idea which cities fits me best in Queens/Brooklyn? Thanks a lot!
D
Astoria is the only place I can think of that might fit what you are looking for although $1400 might be a bit low for a one bedroom. Forget about the second bathroom. It's easy and fast to get to midtown from Astoria, provided your apartment isn't too far from a train. Astoria Park is in Astoria and there are several gyms. You should probably cross the washer dryer off your list as these are usually only included in new construction condos, which are going to cost far more than $1400/ month.

Be prepared for any landlord to ask you to prove that you make 40x the monthly rent per year. It might be very difficult for you to secure a rental without a job offer.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhubaba View Post
Try looking in Forest Hills or Kew Gardens in Queens. They are about 20-25 minutes on E or F express trains to midtown. Forest Park is nearby. The neighborhood of Forest Hills Gardens is also very pleasant place to run or bike.
This is also a good suggestion. NYSC has two branches in this area, one in Forest Hills and one in Rego Park, and there are a few other gyms as well.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
$1400 seems low for what you want - are you able to spend a little more?

I also recommend Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Briarwood. You're right on the E/F and there are a lot of restaurants/gyms/etc. There is a Bally's at Union Turnpike.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
What everybody said above.

But I think a studio will be more doable on your budget.

Also, forget about a 1.5 bathrooms and W&D in unit.
Those are usually found in luxury apts, and your budget is not on that level.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
You might still be able to find a place for $1400 in Sunnyside/Woodside and depending on the day can get to Midtown within 30 minutes. No parks, but can jog in the cemeteries.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM

30 posts, read 112,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You might still be able to find a place for $1400 in Sunnyside/Woodside and depending on the day can get to Midtown within 30 minutes. No parks, but can jog in the cemeteries.
Thanks, I forgot to mention though I don't like to live near cemeteries. I guess I'll pass on jogging in the cemeteries.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorlyusa View Post
Thanks, I forgot to mention though I don't like to live near cemeteries. I guess I'll pass on jogging in the cemeteries.
Queens has a lot of them, and many people do use them as a place to jog. For someone who likes to workout, you might also want to consider using a bicycle as a source of transportation, which is a lot easier from Ridgewood/Sunnyside/Woodside than Forest Hills/Rego Park/Kew Gardens/Brairwood.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Queens has a lot of them, and many people do use them as a place to jog. For someone who likes to workout, you might also want to consider using a bicycle as a source of transportation, which is a lot easier from Ridgewood/Sunnyside/Woodside than Forest Hills/Rego Park/Kew Gardens/Brairwood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Astoria is the only place I can think of that might fit what you are looking for although $1400 might be a bit low for a one bedroom. Forget about the second bathroom. It's easy and fast to get to midtown from Astoria, provided your apartment isn't too far from a train. Astoria Park is in Astoria and there are several gyms. You should probably cross the washer dryer off your list as these are usually only included in new construction condos, which are going to cost far more than $1400/ month.
I would say that Astoria/Sunnyside/Woodside are the best options for your budget (for 1 bedroom apt.) and commute time frame in Queens. Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens can be 30-40 minutes depending where you are going to in the Midtown area and are probably a bit more pricey but definitely doable for a large studio apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City