Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

when i moved here in 1991, a man was kidnapped from his garage on Fieldston and 260th, stuffed in a trunk of a car, driven out to Sunset Park and let go. I think Im safer down on Broadway and 252 street--it's tougher and i think criminals are a little more intimidated by the somewhat "poorer" look of this section I live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,302,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
when i moved here in 1991, a man was kidnapped from his garage on Fieldston and 260th, stuffed in a trunk of a car, driven out to Sunset Park and let go. I think Im safer down on Broadway and 252 street--it's tougher and i think criminals are a little more intimidated by the somewhat "poorer" look of this section I live in.
That's frightening... Did they ever find the person? So far I've only heard of one crime recently that involved a home invasion in Fieldston that was solved and supposedly the individuals caught were from Kingsbridge.

I've been here for several years as well and while the area is still very safe, it seems as if random individuals are about in the neighborhood. For the last few days I've seen very sketchy looking people in old beat up vans from the 60's or 70's out and about and one individual was just standing by a bank just watching as if he was canvassing the neighborhood. This sort of thing was far less common years ago and while I don't feel the need to look over my shoulder so to speak, we do need more police presence here. I would like to think that our neighborhood is no more unique or special than any other, hence why it is odd to see these random people just standing around watching people go about their day. It's even more troubling because there is not much here to attract people not from the neighborhood in addition to it being so isolated since it is heavily residential with just a few small commercial strips.

Thankfully everyone keeps an eye out around here.

Last edited by Grosvenor; 05-03-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 02:31 PM

i wonder if that crime in N Riverdale was actually seen as 'serious"; I mean, the victim was treated "mercifully" and actually "let go" once they got to Brooklyn. i mean at least he wasn't crippled or killed...!!!(Sarcasm)

Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 PM

this is a story i read in the paper about a woman from the S Bronx visiting Manhattan College she had her purse yanked from someone in a passing car on Manhattan College Pkwy. imagine coming up here from the S Bronx and you get robbed

almost 2 years ago a woman was held up at knifepoint in the 231 st station. I saw somebody run down the stairs and yell something like "got a knife" and i saw cops storm the station. there were cops everywhere

9 years ago there was a purse snatcher in Van Cortlandt Park. at the time i was living on Post Rd. I heard commotion down in the street and yelling. I saw a car alternatingly stopping and starting, trying to box this pedestrian in, yelling things at him. a few seconds later cops were driving on people's lawns and scattering all over the place, in backyards. i learned the pedestrian was a purse snatcher. i don't think they ever caught him

Old 05-03-2013, 02:43 PM

in the summers people visiting from other areas make comments in the superettes like "they got rich people's food in here (referring to packages of smoked salmon and hummus)". on the buses you hear people saying things like "my god look at those lawns" when in reality they're just looking at an ordinary well kept rental. i don't know why they think Broadway in the 240's is so "special", there really isn't anything special about it at all

Old 05-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
this is a story i read in the paper about a woman from the S Bronx visiting Manhattan College she had her purse yanked from someone in a passing car on Manhattan College Pkwy. imagine coming up here from the S Bronx and you get robbed

almost 2 years ago a woman was held up at knifepoint in the 231 st station. I saw somebody run down the stairs and yell something like "got a knife" and i saw cops storm the station. there were cops everywhere

9 years ago there was a purse snatcher in Van Cortlandt Park. at the time i was living on Post Rd. I heard commotion down in the street and yelling. I saw a car alternatingly stopping and starting, trying to box this pedestrian in, yelling things at him. a few seconds later cops were driving on people's lawns and scattering all over the place, in backyards. i learned the pedestrian was a purse snatcher. i don't think they ever caught him
Riverdale has been said to be a magnet because of its wealth, but it seems to me that the less splashier parts of Riverdale (for example along Broadway) are hit more often. Could it be perhaps because it is less secluded than the parts set upon hills?

It makes me wonder if all of the more better neighborhoods in the Bronx like Woodlawn or City Island also have random individuals walking about... However, I read in the Riverdale Press a few months ago that a huge drug sting was done along Riverdale Avenue around 236th street in a restaurant nonetheless that was quite shocking. Apparently they have been selling drugs out of there for several months and the police had been following them for a while before closing in.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM

well VC Park could be the reason for any crimes along B'way. I am always noticing that happens close to the city line up near 262nd street

the Riverdale Ave drug sting doesn't surprise me. recently there were massage parlor services being offered on Manhattan College Parkway between Post Rd and B'way until it was raided by cops.

I think criminals are less afraid of Riverdalians because they are more liberal than those in other nice areas of The Bronx. Not that Riverdalians want to be crime victims but it is just harder to picture someone committing a crime in Morris Park or Pelham Bay because those areas are filled with many conservatives. maybe i'm wrong, i don't know

Old 05-03-2013, 03:09 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I don't think political affiliation has anything to do with it. Riverdale has a reputation for wealth, so I'd suspect that criminals expect to get a better return on robberies there.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
well VC Park could be the reason for any crimes along B'way. I am always noticing that happens close to the city line up near 262nd street

the Riverdale Ave drug sting doesn't surprise me. recently there were massage parlor services being offered on Manhattan College Parkway between Post Rd and B'way until it was raided by cops.

I think criminals are less afraid of Riverdalians because they are more liberal than those in other nice areas of The Bronx. Not that Riverdalians want to be crime victims but it is just harder to picture someone committing a crime in Morris Park or Pelham Bay because those areas are filled with many conservatives. maybe i'm wrong, i don't know
Those areas are also close knit like Riverdale but maybe they're less hoity-toity if you will. You do have more Manhattanites here and more coming each year. You can even find Brits living here.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:16 PM

but really, except for the Fieldston boundaries and the areas by the river which include exclusive mansions, how can these people see the rest of Riverdale as "wealth". To me, Fieldston Rd and 260th is no longer Fieldston, it's N Riverdale which includes homes just as you would see in Woodlawn, Morris Park, Throgs Neck, none of which are "wealthy" to me. maybe the areas are very comfortable but still. not nitpicking, just saying...even Johnson Avenue and 235th street is like a Jewish version of Morris Park Avenue and Williamsbridge Rd--safe, comfortable places, but 'wealth" per se??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City